Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

do they have oversized wheel straps for towing?

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Motown fire 
#1 ·
im runnin up to michigan to pick up a 97 psd. reg cab long bed it has 38'' swampers on it. i have an open trailer im putting it on, im just wondering the best way to tie this thing down. i dont belive that the wheel straps i have will fit over the tires. i would drive it back but it is currently tranny-less. anyone have experience haulin one?

#3 ·
I suggest 4 separate chains & 4 separate binders, (over center or ratchet style) Michigan DOT it rediculous about stuff like that. If your trailer does not have sides on it make sure u have the trailer deck clean & secure the tail of your chains with a bungie strap or wrap the binder with the excess. Good luck do it on a sunday if possible. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
i put mine on the trailer, went from each tow hook in the front of the truck to the appropriate spot on the trailer. then i went over the frame right behind the rear bumper, one chain to each side.

you want to be pulling more out than down on the truck, as if your pulling down, and hit a bump it will create slack in the chain, and if your using a flip binder could come undone. as said before, if using a flip binder, i secure my handles with a rubber strap, so regardless what happens, it will not come un-flipped/open. tiedown straps, while rated sufficiently, i dont trust. i would rather have a solid piece of steel holding my truck with a binder that i can put a cheater bar on to get tight, than a nylon strap with a "3 inch ratchet handle. what do you think will get tighter??

#6 ·
Just get some good straps and put one at each corner, I usually go over the axle.

#7 ·
I like to cross my straps like an x. as in front passenger strap to driver side and vice versa. when you pull straight down seems to get a good bit of slack like earlier mentioned.

#8 ·
I do enclosed auto transport but I strap the vehicles down the same way if I were open hauling. Since the.truck is lifted I would strap it around the axles. Have two straps on both ends pulling away or towards each other. That way the truck can not go forwards or backwards. Since it's on 38" the straps will be pulling down on the truck enough to hold it in place. If you don't want to go around the axles strap around the tires just don't attach to the bumper or anything else that will be pulling down on the suspension. Also re tightn your straps after a few miles and check them every stop. Feel free to shoot me a pm if ya want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.