#1 ·
Yup got started on it this week. Should be interesting to see how it works:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW!! This should be interesting. Can you post specs of the turbos? :tree:

EDIT: NY?!?!? get a rope LOL j/k

#8 ·
Purpose is to basically have a really large set of twins but have it spool quicker, yet flow more than a huge single atsmophere charger on a twin setup which would be hard to light on the street. Truck is still street driven too.

#5 ·
:evil:evil
subscribed

#9 ·
What are the specs on the Turbo?
what are the specs on the motor?

#10 ·
Specs on the chargers are larger than most are runing as a single, engine is fully built from the pan up. Hypermax rods, cut/coated pistons, cam, pot/polish, hypermax hi rev springs, full 4 stud girdle to the pan rails etc. Have to send the injectors off to Casserly monday for some changes too.

#18 ·
Correct. The secondary charger is slightly different from the atmosphere's in the turbine side especially and the compressor wheel is the same size just billet.

#14 ·
I was thinking the same thing, though it prob wont be real equal because the length of flow is different in the two. I dunno....

#16 ·
My first thought is that I'd do two small turbos off the manifolds and feed them with one big turbo. But then I see where you are going with this. Trying to get the two smaller (though still very large) turbos in place of the big one in an effort to get even more air in. I don't think you'll have such a hard time getting the two to spool as long as you've got the fuel to do it. You have that single turbo waste gated? I also don't think you'll have so much of a problem of the two turbos being equal so much as the one will just get started a little sooner, once the pressure in the pipe starts to rise it'll equalize and not be an issue.

#17 ·
There is nothing new about the setup, cummins guys and tractor pullers have been doing this for years, Ive just adapted it to a 7.3. There are even a handfull of d-maxes runing a similiar setup. As far as flow to the 2 atmosphere chargers it will balance between the two. The one might get started a hair before the other but once pressure rises everything will balance. Also there will be no gates, there is no reason to gate a setup as long as its set up correctly. Again I have never seen a gate on a tractor and most of them are running very close to a 1:1 boost/drive ratio, sometimes even a positive boost to drive.

#32 ·
Again I have never seen a gate on a tractor and most of them are running very close to a 1:1 boost/drive ratio, sometimes even a positive boost to drive.
And I've never seen one of those tractors driven on the street. They are built to run one RPM, WOT. If you have a housing big enough to let all the exhaust by without over spooling it it's going to make it slower on the street when it comes to taking off from an idle. Unless you're just planning on this being a designated sled puller.

Should be an awesome set up regardless! Good luck with it!

#19 ·
If I'm not mistaken, you are going to need a larger compressor wheel on the secondary charger. I always thought most tractors ran two smaller atmoshphere chargers into one larger secondary charger. I could be wrong.

I think if I was setting that up, I would run two S465 turbos with 83mm turbine wheels and 1.15a/r T-4 foot as the atmosphere chargers, and one S488 with an 88mm turbine wheel and a 1.56 a/r T-6 Foot.

You're definetly on the right track though! I hope to see some videos of this on the street when you get it all finished. It should light instantly. :evil

#20 ·
#21 ·
On the tractors we have always ran a small compressor on the secondary and a large turbine to drive the compressor that is being slamed with air. The air coming into the secondary is puting a load against the turbine thus creating backpressure issues, so you need a wheel with greater area to drive it without creating lots of drive pressure. Also on the tractors the atsmopheres have a slightly larger compressor and smaller turbine (than the secondary) to drive them harder.

Im sure there are some setups out there that the secondary is larger but Im going off what I/we have learned from working on the tractors and what others I have talked to have found. I talked with Chris at E.D. for about 2 months shooting ideas back and forth and we came up with this setup. This is very close to a set that is on a 7.1l stroked D-max turning 5k down the track. The atmospheres can be made larger on the compressor side rather easily with just a wheel/housing swap if I do need some more air.

#22 ·
You turbo guys are pretty fart smellers!! :D
I'm learning as fast as I can, but you guys are the shiznit on this.

#23 ·
Very cool project. Chris at E.D. is a great guy to work with as well. I have been doing a lot of looking at the triple set ups Trent Nell has been building for Duramaxs and all the guys who have driven them, or rode in a truck with them say they are just awesome. Even if you do have to go back to the drawing board a little bit, its going to be an awesome runner.

#27 ·
OMG your avatar :D

Cant wait to see how this turns out. What will you be running injector wise ?

#30 ·
Injectors are swamps 400/200's as of now, going to send them out today to have casserly bump them up a bit and do some internal work to speed them up. Probably will be around a 450/400 or so. Im looking to get as much as I can on fuel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.