Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Custom center console

223K views 201 replies 40 participants last post by  Crisp 
#1 ·
Figured i would post this here as well. It is on powerstroke.org, and horsepowerjunkies as well.

If you see anything that can be improved or have any pointers for this novice please pipe up and let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Big ass truck zero cup holders. I got tired of it and decided to try my hand at making my own out of MDF and fiberglass. The plan is to house 4-5 cup holders 2 in the front and 2-3 for the rear. Add two more power outlets to the rear, and space for a 12" sub.

See less See more
#2 ·

Making the screws flush

#3 ·
rear seat side, and top storage.

Test fitting the sub

#4 ·
Got a chance to test fit it in the truck tonight. Ignore the trash, amazing what you find when you take the seats out. Have to figure out a few things, like where to put the cup holders, trailer brake control, I-pod, speaker terminal, and possibly gauges.

Reactions: Luisms94
#7 ·
Well I took my promotion test today for Tech Sgt. Now that all that is behind me I have some more free time.

Today i marked and made the 1st of 2 cuts on the brakets. Hopefully tommorow i can make the other 2 cuts so the sub sits on the MDF.

Bracket one marked and ready for cut.

Bracket one after cut.

Bracket two cut.

Brackets installed for test fit and to mark the next cuts.

#8 ·
Made the 2nd cuts tonight, now the sub has clearance around it and sits on the MDF

Bought some poster board to lay out some ideas where everything should go.

#9 ·
Cup holder is going here, it will be lower and flush.

#10 ·
Need an opinion: Should i put this up-lifter (think that is what it is called) here, and the trailer brake controller (not pictured). I have never used the up-lifter since i bought the truck. Friend of mine told me to never get rid of it though LOL.

Or should i put gauges in that area. for not it would be Boost, Pyro, Trans, and a power outlet in the middle? Thoughts!!!

#11 ·
Looking good. My only suggestion would be to get some different cup holders to make integration easier. Either some marine cup holders for a boat that just drop in or order the rear seat cupholders for a 2006 Dodge quad cab truck. I use those alot.

#13 ·
Any links to the cupholders marine or dodge? Very interested!

I scored that one from an 97 F150 at the junkyard, and another 3 from Chevy s-10, jimmy's at the same junkyard.

#15 ·
I like the gauges better in the console, but I would put the power port below the pyro, that way when you have something plugged into it the cord wont block the view of the gauge. Looks very nice though.

#25 ·
That is what i was thinking as well, but a friend bought up a good point me taking my eyes off of the road to look at them!

Sharp looking and good fab work! I'm wanting to build a smaller console with a switch panel in front of my existing 08 center console for some switches and a couple extra power points and a 110 plug.. subscribed
thanks

Looks good can't wait to see the finished product
thanks

Yes a great idea. Cant wait to see the finished product
thanks

Looking reaaly good so far man :D

I think that up-lifter thing you got is refered to as a Ford AIC, Auxilary Idle Control, or if I am wrong someone can correct me. If you don't use it too often what about putting it on the side of the console flushed into the wood. Might not be easy to read from in the truck but easy to work standing by the door and out of the way but still acessible.
That is a great idea, thank you. Not sure how i would mount it since the sides are going to somewhat curved. I will definately look into it thought

Not up lifter. Upfitter. As in switches. 4 of them.
Great to see someone doing this. I've been wanting to for a while and just never got motived to get started.

IMO that High Idle Controller is useless now that you can have a high idle setting on your chip. Get rid of the clunky thing, they aren't worth much anymore and take up a lot of space.
I do have an SCT with tunes from innovative. Is that all they are used for?

Do you have to have some insert cups? Why not just drill big holes and have a bottom for the cups to sit on?
I thought about that, but then i could not think if a way to make it clean. On top of that i did not want the wood to swell if anything leaked.

#16 ·
Sharp looking and good fab work! I'm wanting to build a smaller console with a switch panel in front of my existing 08 center console for some switches and a couple extra power points and a 110 plug.. subscribed

#19 ·
Looking reaaly good so far man :D

I think that up-lifter thing you got is refered to as a Ford AIC, Auxilary Idle Control, or if I am wrong someone can correct me. If you don't use it too often what about putting it on the side of the console flushed into the wood. Might not be easy to read from in the truck but easy to work standing by the door and out of the way but still acessible.

Looking forward to the rest of your progress, I got similar ideas for expanding my 08 console someday, but not 100% sure on what to do with the front portion like your working on.

#21 ·
Great to see someone doing this. I've been wanting to for a while and just never got motived to get started.

IMO that High Idle Controller is useless now that you can have a high idle setting on your chip. Get rid of the clunky thing, they aren't worth much anymore and take up a lot of space.

#29 ·
I would like to build a console like this for mine one day also.Thanks for posting it up.I would put the gauges in an A-pillar pod,easy to see quickly & safely while driving.The same spot on the console would be perfect for upfitter switches to run auxillary components.IMO

#31 ·
Yeah i think I will be doing away with the guage idea on the console and put them on the A-pillar whenever i get them. Have to think of something else to fill the empty space though.

I'm planning a custom console box for my F250 too. I like your design. Mine will be along the same lines. I plan to run it all the way to the dash to get more cubic feet. I haven't bought my subs yet so I don't know the size I need yet. I like up front bass you can get from a console box. I've built several but I never tried to make one look like it was a factory unit.
Sounds like a good idea. Post pics when you do it. I can see myself building another one in the future. I hope this one turns out factoryish and how i have it pictured in my head.

#30 ·
I'm planning a custom console box for my F250 too. I like your design. Mine will be along the same lines. I plan to run it all the way to the dash to get more cubic feet. I haven't bought my subs yet so I don't know the size I need yet. I like up front bass you can get from a console box. I've built several but I never tried to make one look like it was a factory unit.

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.