Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

tires on stock 20's - 305/55/20 or 35/12.50

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  06 f250 man 
#1 ·
If I'm going to get some Mickey Thompson ATZ's, any good reason not to go a little shorter than stock rather than a little taller? I've seen pics with 35X12.50's - anyone got some pics with 33X12.50's on stock 20's at stock height?

#2 ·
I've got 305/55/20 BFG AT's and they are definely wider but lower than stock. No rub anywhere and I like them, just wish they were a bit taller. I'll try to get you a pic or 2.

#3 ·
Only reason I wouldn't go shorter is because at highway speeds, your RPM's will be higher than normal. Fuel mileage will suffer some from it. 305/55's will be an inch, maybe more, shorter than your factory tires. With the 35's, your highway RPM will actually be lower than it is right now. I personally prefer lower cruising RPM on the highway. At the moment, I have Toyo Proxes on my truck, and they are over an inch shorter than the stock height tires that came on my truck. My RPM's are much higher than I would like them at 75 MPH.

#8 ·
Thanks for comments and pics!

So - other than cost, any down side to going to 35's over 33's? I know people say their mileage is down 1-3 from stock tires but I assume thats from width so 33 or 35 be about same.

#9 ·
I know my mileage is pretty much the same with the 33's vs. stock which is close to 35". I will be going with 35's next just because I will be installing a leveling kit soon and if most people aren't seeing any mileage loss with 35's thats what I'll get just to eliminate wheel well gap.

#12 ·
I dont have no pics but I just seen an 05 cc with a leveling kit and 325/60/20 that looked pretty good. I got 305/55/20 and I plan on going with them 325's as soon as I get enough money together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.