7.3 Slow Crank Problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 PM
driller338
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 Slow Crank Problems

Ive got a 2000 7.3 4x4 with some slow crank problems. This past winter was a cold one here in Illinois and on some cold mornings, my truck would barely start. And when I say barely, I mean barely. Took it and had the batteries tested, and they were shot. So I installed 2 new batteries....that made a huge difference; it cranked fast and with enough oomph to get her started.

About a month later, it was still cranking the same, but it took a little longer to fire. Even when i had it in my 50* garage, it cranked longer than normal before it started. So i thought what the heck, and ran up to NAPA and got a new GPR and threw it in. It started a lot easier with a new GPR, and i thought problem solved...

Well now, 2 months after i installed new batteries, the thing cranks slower than ever when cold. I cycle my GPs 3 times and then turn the key and it cranks about 10 times, slower and slower until it almost stops cranking all together. I turn the key off, cycle the GPs once more, and try it again. The 2nd time it cranks a little faster, but still no start. The 3rd sequence it fires right up and runs perfect. After having ran it, later on in the day, it spins fairly good and fires up like normal....as long as it still has a little bit of heat left i guess.

What are your thoughts? I was thinking maybe the starter? I havent tested the batteries yet, since theyre only 2 months old....but maybe i should (the lights dim and my volt gauge goes down when im cranking). I dont really know where to turn to next without pumping a ton of money into taking it to the stealership. Your thoughts are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
SouthFlstrokin'
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 Slow Crank Problems

I'm having the same exact issue, does anyone have any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
Anyone who stands to pee drives a 7.3.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Hoss1997
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

how old are the glow plugs themselves
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
countryboyrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

A weak starter can drain the batteries. Hpe old is the starter? How old are the GPs?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:15 PM
powerstrokeracing
Young'n
Member's Gallery

I would say starter from the way you explained it. Just had this se thing happen to me and thought it was my new batteries but it turned out to bey starter. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM
driller338
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the feedback. Im the 3rd owner of the truck..and it has 165,000 mi on it....im not sure if the glow plugs or starter have ever been replaced. When it fires on the 3rd try, it runs great with just a little puff of white smoke when it first fires. So that kinda leads me away from it being a GP problem, but you never know.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 AM
SouthFlstrokin'
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Anyone else?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 AM
abbottfarms
Keep er shinny side up!
Member's Gallery

I had similar issues a few years ago, slow cranking and the truck was eating starters like candy. Turned out to be a bad power feed to the starter, replaced that and no more slow cranking issues. Just one more thing to check out. To clarify the power feed I'm talking about is the one from the pass battery down to the starter.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 AM
driller338
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

ok, new question. im very interested in getting a gear reduction starter to put in it. what is the best brand and where can you get them at?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
driller338
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

well got it figured out this weekend. figured i would put a new starter in it...so i jumped in my truck to run to oreillys and she wouldnt even crank! haha hows that for luck? luckily its a manual and i got it rolling down a hill and let off the clutch and got it to start.

put an oreilly gear reduction starter in it, and while tightening the solenoid wire down, it broke the plastic end cap off the solenoid. so, had to run back to oreillys and exchange the starter. put the new one in, and she spun and fired right up like a champ! shut it off, and came back in the morning to leave and it wouldnt start! i could hear the starter spinning, but it wouldnt engage the flywheel. so i had to take it out again, and went and tested it at oriellys. the dumb thing failed both tests. anyways, they exchanged it for a mitsubishi style starter and havent had any problems since. it spins and fires up like a dream.

i just hate chasing my tail around like that...

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 101
00PSD, 02POWERSTROKE7.3, 5superduty, 6.9performance, 89 Stroker, 95F250, 99pete, abbottfarms, Adinas95, akblockhead, aklefty, armysoldier0882, AUSTINAUTOSERV, aviatorkev, Black Beauty 7.3, blowinsmoke4life, Bmd88, boostaddict, bosssuperduty, bpa658, BROCKDIESELDUDE, bstar, C&A fish, ccmac, chief055, chugluglug, chunkdunker, Cmonster, colvinb, countylaw, crasherdude3, data_engine, DEEZUL2000, Dieselboy, DieselBrad, Dieseltron, DocBar, driller338, duxpsd, Ethan218, fatfender, Flippincgfighter, fordfan7, Freshmeat, GATORTAILMAN, Gerard, Glock 20, gottagofast, hoist00, Hoss1997, isak, Jason.Horath, jchanfarms, Jgman141, joe37705, johnwassink, JRs'99, kesber47, kilapapipa, KPSquared, Kyle_KleinSS, LawnRanger, lep, livnlrn, M8xpld, madmatt, markyt, mspainting, Newman, otis_301, Peter66, PHPDiesel, powerstroke095, powerstrokeracing, PSD POWER007, PSFAN, recordbreaker5, Red95stroker, Seven-Point-Three, simpleman, smith7.3, smokinford07, sniper_101, sourdiesel, SouthernStroke00, SouthFlstrokin', srutherford1, Strokin450, Super_Hauler, techteacher, themudgician, Thomas7.3psd, Thompson7.3, Tim4, TRX370r, TurtleZ, twostroke, unstable 96, V-Ref, vf24tomcat