2006 reliability - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
straightaxle
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

2006 reliability

Hey guys, new to the site, but have been trolling around here for years trying to get as much info as possible. I currently have a 2002 f250 4x4 cc with the v10. Runs great unloaded, but towing moderately heavy, it still acts like a small block that needs to wind to the moon, not to mention it inhales food.

Here is the question. I have a good friend with a 06 f250 Kr 4x4 that has 77k miles on it.the truck has never been to the dealer in its life, never eximited any problems other than not making much power when cold. I can get this thing super cheap and am wondering if this is an exhibit of a truck that could be a good one. I know everyone talks about the clean OASIS, and good maintenance, and this truck has as clean as it gets. If I block off the ear and cooler (cali truck, so needs to pass visual) rebuild the oil cooler and add coolant filter, should this thing remain a reliable truck? I know there are lots of ifs, but generally, if not a problem child, do they not become problem child's?

Also, I don't drive a whole lot, maybe a few miles a day, I have heard this is bad for them as well. Should I stick to the gas burner and avoid the diesel, I don't need the diesel, just want one bad, plus this truck is much nicer than the 02 in ride and fit and finish etc. Just looking for some advice so I don't pick up a problem that I don't need.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 12:40 PM
mike b
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: 2006 reliability

sounds like a good truck but it is a 6.0 and your gonna have some problems sooner or later just the nature of the beast studs,egr delete,oil cooler,coolant fliterand some custom tunes and you should be good to go
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
lenzhotrod
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I don't know if I would go as far as the oil cooler replacement unless it has issues. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Sounds like a good truck from this side. Also the EGR thing is what I did being in cali also. Make it inop ,but passes visual.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM
ParkerFly
Pulling sled for hire
Member's Gallery

At 77k miles I'd say you better go ahead and check out the oil cooler. Dad's let go a 6xxxx miles, and my cousin replaced his the other day at 80k miles. It's kind of like the EGR Cooler, it may last a while, it may not.

Justin

'97 F-250 - 255k
463 hp - 7-9-09
BDP/Casserly Stage 2's, Mod H2E, Stealth Stage 2, BDP fuel system, Comp 910s, 7.3 ic, live tuned by Jonathan @ BDP.

Heartbreaker 2 pulling sled
Old 03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

The issues that are most common on a 2006 are:
1. Leaks in the high pressure oil system (Install updated STC fitting, dummy plugs, standpipes)
2. Low fuel pressure (Install the updated Ford fuel pressure regulator spring)
3. FICM (Keep your batteries and alternator good and get the latest flash update)

That being said, the coolant filter and an electronic gauge that displays the OBDII parameters are the first things that should be installed IMO.

If your coolant temp and oil temp are both good, then I wouldn't worry about the oil cooler or even the EGR cooler. If you do get the HPO system components upgraded, the BulletProof EGR cooler (or an EGR delete) would be nice to do.

Keep up w/ the fluid and filter changes (proper intervals, fluids, and filters). This includes the coolant and the tranny fluid/filters.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A w/ Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
Old 03-23-2011, 04:24 PM
straightaxle
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

The reason for the oil cooler was thinking preventative maintenance since the truck doesn't have a filter, and if I am thinking correctly, it will be easy to access when doing the ear blocking. I have a scangauge II on the v10 now, so I will transfer that over too.

Does anyone know if the SCT X3 for a gas truck can be used for a diesel? I have a custom tuned on right now on the v10, and would be nice to just order tunes when the time comes rather than buy another device. Also, what is the latest flash benefits for an 06 truck?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Matt07
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

what are gas and diesel fuel prices out in cali?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:03 PM
straightaxle
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Diesel is 0.30-0.40 more per gallon, around$ 4.25/gal for diesel. Probably going up as I type this too. The fuel diff is about 10%, and the v10 gets 9-11mpg now, so if the diesel got 2 mpg better the fuel difference is negated. Now the cost of the truck and maintenance is another story, as I own the. V10........like I said, I don't NEED a diesel, I just WANT one, I think..........
Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 PM
nathan6550
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

If you had the right tune on the 6.0 you could get great fuel mileage my buddys dad has the 6.0 excursion with sct tune and hes getting around 22-24mpg good luck tho there great trucks.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
06-sixoh
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

First off, I say if you personally know the history of this 06, I say buy the damn thing. 6.0's have had their issues, but if you find one that has lasted this long with no real issues, then its going to be a good truck. Double check the OASIS, just to CYA.

If you only drive a few miles a day, that can be wearing on the truck. short trips really arent very good for the diesels. I really wont start my truck, unless im going to drive it for at least 30 minutes. Thats just me though.

Fuel mileage can pretty decent, I just purchased a used Hypertech ECON tuner off a user on this site. I keep it on the Fuel B program, lolow power gains, so its safe, and has boosted my fuel economy a bunch. I get 18.5 in town, and 23 on the freeway @ 70.

If you plan on blocking the EGR, you need to be aware that doing this can cause a CEL, thus failing you from smog. Which is precisely why I havent done mine. Bulletproof Industries makes a proven upgrade, for around $400 that will solve all your issues in that department. But if aint broke, dont fix it, IMHO.

Fuel prices for Bakersfield, Ca just rose again... $4.49... Drill Baby, Drill Baby

2006 F250 CCSB FX4 Lariat
GlowShift Tinted gauges, Recon Clear Cab Lights, Diamond Eye Duals, SRL Files, 2.5" rize leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, PHP Tuned FICM, Retro Solution 6K HID's, DieselSite Coolant Filter...

2011 Oxford White SuperCrew EcoBoost FX2

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 125
03-blue-Powerstroke, 06 f250 man, 06-sixoh, 07_powerstroke, 1bad306, 2006powerleaker, 4duggan, 60POWERSTROKE73, 91turbogsx, 94.5 Stroker, 94Matt, 97WhiteFlatty, 99coalroller, adaric, alwil, avm112, bad moose, BadDogPSD, Batt5, bgyllw, BIGBLUE08, BigDeal21, Bigfordguy07, bigreenanwhite, bigrngyj, bismic1, blackqball, bosssuperduty, bretferd, bustednuckles, cabradosa, colinmacdon, conethrower, Constantfix, countryboy11, cubalz, cygnus, Dangyo, Daryl, Dave, DeathDiesel, dexleo2, dits145, f-150_xl, F350F351, farmer8, ford7.3sd, Fox'sFord, gregflittlepowershop, gtmustang00, harley-kid, hawgdoctor, id: 5520, isimar, J HO 22, JGCF250, jstreet, K.C., Komelika, Krisco, LBF, liftedsilver250, LIKHER_POKER, Lilsupa, Loonatic, lubeowner, Matt07, mike b, Ministry, Mpoage, MT Pockets, namerritt, nathan6550, nelsonar, no_pistons7, nylyon, orrwhat, ParkerFly, partyanimalctc, pc97f350, psdguy08, psplumber, rb3054, redpowerstroke, Rmartin-97, ROADDOG21, RocknRoll, rosco12jr, Roz, rswhitcomb, RW'sSTROKER, SAYIWONT, sdborror, Sethc0077, shadow6.0, SLAMDS10, Sndwrkr, SouthFlstrokin', Staggs02, ste2, StewB, straightaxle, stroker62, StrokerSmoker01, StrokerTurbo7.3, strokin82, strokingkid1392, studded 6leaker, TAMU_PSD, th3, theGreenHornet, TIERNEY, tmars51, toycrawler, TVMC, Twan, Utah7.3, wezol5484, yeehaw, youngstroker, ZaneD, zeekzimm85