2005 no start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to JohnT
2005 no start

This is with my brothers 05, its a crank no start condition.

Went to do an EGR delete, and decided while there to replace the oil cooler. Afterwards, everything put together, it started and ran for about a minute, then died. Would not restart afterwards. At first checked IPR valve, noticed the screen had very little debris, replaced the screen with a new screen. Still no start. Checked HPO pressure and showed 250PSI.

Afterwards, replaced STC fitting with new revised screw in fitting, checked the air leak from ICP port back to the branch tube connection, no air leaks. Checked HPO pressure 0psi.

Unplugged ICP sensor, checked HPO pressure 0psi.

Discovered the oil filter cap was a wix design(tall cap), and since the oil was changed after the cooler replacement, a stock ford filter went in with the wix cap. Changed out to ford cap, checked the anti-drainback valve in the bowl, it still looked good. LPO pressure seems good(filter bowl fills quickly while cranking, dash dummy gauge comes up within seconds while cranking).
Checked HPO pressure 0 psi.

We took the new revised pump outlet to branch tube fitting back off, and cranked without it in there, and the oil just sort of dumps out. Im not sure what it is supposed to look like, but I would think it should have some pressure coming out, not just dumping.

Checked IPR connector, shows 0V key off, then 12V when key is in RUN. Checked the IPR by plugging in a pigtail and hooking to a battery, the IPR clicks.

I've been waiting for my new connector for my AE, come to find out, mine took a sh!t after sitting for two years, so I had to get a new one sent out, but it takes almost a week to ship from Arizona to Michigan. It seems like the pump is not producing enough pressure, but I can't see it happening to take a sh!t at the same time the EGR and oil cooler was replaced. I'm trying to check anything I can while waiting for AE. Anyone have any other ideas to check while waiting for AE?

Odd side point: My truck had a bad oil cooler. I rebuilt the oil cooler, and did an EGR delete. Mine started right up after about a minute. His had nothing wrong, just doing the EGR delete and oil cooler as a preventive measure thing. What a mistake that was .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 03:19 AM
hawgdoctor
harley master
Member's Gallery

Re: 2005 no start

Sounds like you have an hpop system full of air after doin all that. Takes alot of crankin after you break that system open to get her goin again, and be ready to take it out, and put your foot in her $ss a couple times to get said air purged out.

Welcome to Strokers Unlimited!
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 AM
RescueF250
The Unseen Mod
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to RescueF250

Just like Adam said, crank her and watch your oil pressure gauge it should start to rise.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:43 PM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

We tried cranking for over an hour in 30 second bursts. I was convinced it was the oil cap so I just told him to keep cranking. It was getting jumped from my 99 to be sure the batteries wouldn't fire out. Finally I gave up on that idea. With ae will I be able to tell if there if just air in the lines?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 AM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Update:
Put it back together again today, cranked on it again for over an hour again. Maxed out a 60PSI gauge, hooked up a 100-4000psi gauge, no reading. So its making some pressure, just not enough to start.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 AM
hawgdoctor
harley master
Member's Gallery

If you can see it watch your ipr actual, and ipr desired. That's only if AE will show you that. Bad IPR maybe? HPOP?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 AM
Hayes0620
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I'm new to the site and don't know much about the 6.0 but i just got my 05 out of the shop. Put the computer on it and had the same issue no oil pressure. they did the air pressure test and found no leaks. They said the next step was to pull the HPOP out and do a visual inspection. They found a blowed o-ring at the first joint out of the HPOP. I think it was a T-joint. Like i said i don't know much about but maybe this will give you some ideas. They replaced the o-ring and truck has ran great for two weeks.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 AM
DieselStroke
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You should have the AE by this weekend, i would just wait instead of tearing into more that is not needed and just getting frustraded.
Scangauge II by Linear Logic
Straight pipe exhaust
Westin Bull Bar
Lights
Old 03-23-2011, 12:48 PM
lenzhotrod
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You already know you have no oil pressure,what will the AE do for you? I would try to bleed the air from the oil system. The computer must see more than 500 PSI before it will even think about firing the injectors.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 AM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdoctor View Post
If you can see it watch your ipr actual, and ipr desired. That's only if AE will show you that. Bad IPR maybe? HPOP?
Thats what commanding the IPR showed today. Hooked shop air up to the oil rail, and commanded the IPR from 0%-80% no change in air sound. Per the Ford Service Manual, it said if no change replace IPR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes0620 View Post
I'm new to the site and don't know much about the 6.0 but i just got my 05 out of the shop. Put the computer on it and had the same issue no oil pressure. they did the air pressure test and found no leaks. They said the next step was to pull the HPOP out and do a visual inspection. They found a blowed o-ring at the first joint out of the HPOP. I think it was a T-joint. Like i said i don't know much about but maybe this will give you some ideas. They replaced the o-ring and truck has ran great for two weeks.
Welcome to the site.

The t-joint you describe is better known as the STC(snap to connect) fitting. We replaced that right after the first no start, due to that was just a logical thing to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselStroke View Post
You should have the AE by this weekend, i would just wait instead of tearing into more that is not needed and just getting frustraded.
Luckily it came early, a lot easier to find problems with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
You already know you have no oil pressure,what will the AE do for you? I would try to bleed the air from the oil system. The computer must see more than 500 PSI before it will even think about firing the injectors.
It told me the IPR wasn't responding when actuated by doing an the air test listed in the Ford service manual.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 AM
lenzhotrod
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

The 500 PSI must be seen by the ICP, not the IPR. Try these.

Attachment 21161

Attachment 21162

Last edited by lenzhotrod; 09-10-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:40 AM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
The 500 PSI must be seen by the ICP, not the IPR. Try these.

Attachment 21161

Attachment 21162
I have the no start worksheet along with a break down of each step.

Anyways an update. New IPR made the air test work better, but still a no start condition. Then I saw this TSB:

Pickups and vans built before 4-15-05 and Excursions built between 1-10 and 4-15-05 may exhibit hard or no start conditions with a low ICP signal, or a rough idle with a high ICP signal. This may be due to a damaged high pressure oil pump and/or IPR valve. The IPR valve should be removed (mounted on HPP cover under the turbo) and inspected for a damaged inlet screen or debris on over half the screen. If either condition is present, the IPR (5C3Z-9C968-CA) and the high pressure oil pump (5C3Z-9A543-AA) should be replaced, along with the oil and oil filter. If neither condition is present, continue with normal diagnosis. If a rough idle is present after replacing the above parts, injector damage may have occured.
TSB 50-12-3.

The truck's build date was within this time frame. After nothing else could be determined to be the problem, we decided to try to start it with the pump off my 05, since I still needed to do the STC fitting replacement, and one of my turbo bolts I was not happy with how it went in. After we installed my pump, the truck started in under a minute.

I just can't believe the chain of events, oil cooler replacement with EGR delete causes the HP pump to take a sh!t after re-starting. I just couldn't believe it was the HP pump with how it all went down, but in the end it was.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

After an oil cooler job it is VERY common to trash an IPR w/ lint or other contaminants - no matter how clean you think you were. Sometimes you can even trash a couple of them. Pull and inspect the IPR. It is uncommon for the pump to fail.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A w/ Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I could not believe the HPOP would go bad either, thats why it took us 2 weeks to try my pump, because I could not believe an 05 pump just went bad, at the same times we did an oil cooler rebuild. I think it had something to do possibly with a prior no start issue.

We at first pulled the IPR, changed screen. Then we did it again and installed a new screen to be sure. Then we installed a brand new IPR, and even then all it did was help us complete the air pressure test that concluded there was no leak. The pressure the pump was building was far off, even though we verified the IPR was moving, actuating the the IPR and running the air test, and leaks at the same time. The pump, after cranking until the batteries were near dead would never get over 70psi, and it took a long time for it to get to 70psi. With my pump installed, within 15 seconds after low pressure oil registered, it shot way past 500psi.

This truck had a no start issue before at around 75000 miles. It appears the tech who worked on it, replaced the IPR only. It stated in the OASIS report that the tech found metal on the IPR screen, replaced IPR screen. Even though it states in the TSB to replace the High pressure pump also when metal is found. I just wonder if these two no starts issues are related or not.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
tsedsell
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

my truck is doing the same thing but only when the truck is already fully warmed up. Will fire right up when its cold but sometimes when you go right back to start it when its hot it wont start..Turn the key and the oil pressure gauge wont read anything, crank it and after a couple seconds the gauge will come up but it still wont start. My truck currently sits down at the sawmill/hardware store because of this..Hopefully it will start later tonight so i can get it home. Is my HPOP bad? What do you have to do the fix this problem?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
hawgdoctor
harley master
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedsell View Post
my truck is doing the same thing but only when the truck is already fully warmed up. Will fire right up when its cold but sometimes when you go right back to start it when its hot it wont start..Turn the key and the oil pressure gauge wont read anything, crank it and after a couple seconds the gauge will come up but it still wont start. My truck currently sits down at the sawmill/hardware store because of this..Hopefully it will start later tonight so i can get it home. Is my HPOP bad? What do you have to do the fix this problem?
That sounds like an o-ring leak somewhere in the system. Could be the dummy plugs, stand pipes, sct to branch tubes, etc.... Check them out first.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
tsedsell
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Yeah thats what I thought to but have no idea what any of those things are and where they are located on the truck....
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 AM
JohnT
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Sounds like the Snap to Connect fitting. Its located on the HPOP which is located under the turbo y-pipe connection. If you search, you can find a ton of info on it.

Without a scanner, its a shot in the dark, but if you want to try something that is a common problem, the STC fitting is a very common issue.

Oddly enough, on my 05(not my brothers 05), the high pressure system has NOT been even cracked loose, until a week ago. Still the stock pump, fitting, standpipe, dummy plug, everything. The first person to crack the pump cover was me. The truck has 160K on it, and never had an issue. I am installing the new screw in type fitting, since the pump was removed to test the other 05, and I would be stupid to re-install the STC fitting when the new fitting is sitting on the bench.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 125
02POWERSTROKE7.3, 04stroker, 06-6.0 stoker, 07_powerstroke, 250HD, 7.3psd97444, 97WhiteFlatty, 99redf350, backhoemike, bad moose, bigdaddy60, BigDeal21, Bigdog, billd, bismic1, Blown95svt, bluextc, bluovldeezl, bosssuperduty, buc1096, bustednuckles, Cajunhunter67, chamm, coondad, darren.corbin@gmail.com, Darren127, Davepomrenke, ddillenger, dee, DEMON, Diesel Jay, DieselStroke, DRUNAAS, DuckCrazy45, duece, Dustin F2504x4, Erle385, eyoung, f450fordzilla, farmboy8201, farmer8, fast1000busa, Firebyrd, florida 6.0, FTAJ, griffin6997, Guck84, hami3533, hawgdoctor, hawkeye, Hayes0620, hillbilly123, hill_billiez, id: 5520, irontx25, isimar, Ithumpwheniwalk, Jagsdiesel, jdgleason, JimmyO, JMF350, jorris83, jratoms, JS98, jseasor, jzamluk, Khemosabe, ktmrydr686, ktoddford, LILGSX, logan5c4, lubeowner, luckyj, Lyrch75, meanfarmer, monstered, MUDSTROKIN', munchie, nateyeyo, nathan6550, orrwhat, patrickke, patricku47, PDEMICH, pjerrn, PowerSub, psplumber, raftert63t7, raradcli65, rdunagan, RescueF250, Rick in hampstead, RickF350, Rooster 6.0, rtc0360, Satan's chariot, sdwi, seanmesaeh, shocka04, sidssm, smokinstroker, sonnyy13n, Stihl293, strkn4, StrokerSmoker01, sunsetmazdacs, superstroker99, suprdzlduty, Swanie, TAMU_PSD, techteacher, tlbailes, tmars51, tnmedic, Tom_Brown, toypwr, tsedsell, turbodieselny, turbodiesel_02, Twisted Excursion, WichitaF250, willholl79