Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Vibration as I accelerate

24K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  TylerDurden 
#1 ·
As I accelerate I feel vibration and seems to come from under the cab/front end. I have tried many things to fix it.

1. replaced shocks
2. new sway bar bushing and end links
3. replaced hubs with manual ones
4. replaced transmission/converter John Woods
5. replaced engine (rebuilt)
6. new tires 285s
7. Front & rear brakes redone

The engine and trans was just done recently like completed Friday the 18th. Engine & trans was planned anyway since I have over 220K miles on my X.

And it still has the damn vibration but not as bad.

It is a 4x4 and am thinking of removing the front drive shaft and see what happens. I can shake the front drive shaft some and am not in 4 wheel drive.

The rear drive shaft does not move when I try to shake it.

HELP!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Axles Ok . Not sure about u joint yet as I will remove front drive shaft tomorrow.

Thanks,

John

#8 ·
Hey I had to spend my money some way.......:D

I'm planing on keeping my X and engine, 38r turbo, and trans all part of big picture.

#10 ·
A little history.... a couple months ago I replaced front sway bar bushing and that helped some.

Yesterday I noticed the sway bar links were shot. Replaced those and made all the difference in the world, but still feel vibration although not as bad.

Drive shaft(s) next.

I don't want to even think about it could be the engine mounts:(

#11 ·
Had some bad vibrations on our '08 5.4 but it was because of a dead carrier bearing and bad u joint on the rear drive shaft, carrier bearing mainly though as it was completely worn out.

#12 ·
Is it lifted at all or all stock?? Most likely a carrier bearing or a dry u joint. That was my experience a few times. Bust cure if its lifted is a one piece drive shaft. Way cheaper then carrier bearings every 50k

#15 ·
YEA!!!! it turned out to be my u-joints. Replaced both u-joints on my rear drive shaft. No more vibration.

Next time though I will just buy a new complete drive shaft. The old u-joint where hell to knock out.

#17 ·
:D the engine and trans was already planed. I'm just happy to have my X up and running.

So is my wife. She loves the sound of the turbo spooling up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.