Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Squeaky Brake

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  TAMU_PSD 
#1 ·
I can not get rid of the squealing to save my life on my front left wheel. Its gotten so bad that it just covers everythign in brake dust. We have replaced the pads up front three times (with three different types of NAPA pads) , cut the rotors twice and replaced the caliper (they were "blown" apart on both sides).

What would cause all this crap? The pad not being seated properly? Once it gets hot the squealing goes away, but the next day its there. Its ruining my wheel, the chrome is starting to come off :doh:

edit: I used to be able to hear a "clicking" (?) sound from that wheel when applying the brakes before we replaced everythign again. similar to a baseball card being clothes pinned to a bicycle wheel. Thats the best way I can describe it.

#2 ·
You may want to put on Motocraft brakes if you think its the brakes. Jack up the wheel and spin it by hand to try isolate the sound. Also look at the abs sensor to make sure its not making contact with the reluctor wheel making the wierd noise.

#3 ·
Have you used any of the tacky products that you apply to the back of the pads to prevent the squealing?

I ran the mid grade napa pads with the tacky junk on the pads and had no squealing at all.

This may help with the noise but I dont know if the squealing relates to the amount of brake dust you have.

#4 ·
I don't get the clicking sound anymore, so I am assuming that was from the caliper being junk. I thought maybe just the more expensive napa pads were causing it, but even the cheaper ones are doing it. I haven't applied that tacky stuff before I suppose I could do that. Can I still put it on even though the pads have been ran ~2k miles? Yeah the brake dust is what is concerning me, I don't want it to ruin my wheels.. Are napa pads just really "dusty"?

#6 ·
One of the sets was the most expensive, and the second was the second most expensive NAPA sells. Now I have those cheaper pads (2nd to bottom on their line) on, but they all dusted and squealed. My brother has the same ones on his truck (f150), no dust issues like me. Also, its only the front left doing this, not the front right. The front right has not squealed nor dusted, and its gotten replaced everytime the front left has.

What would mess the calipers up like that? Is that normal?

#7 ·
I just did my front brakes and 3 out of the 4 sliding pins in the caliper brackets were seized in that bracket. I ended up getting new brackets and pins and rubber boots to hold all the brake grease in.

#8 ·
I dont see why you couldnt put the tacky stuff on after the pads had been installed allready.

Just something else to check, although unlikley. Maybe there is a problem with the unit bearing. An excessive amount of play in the bearings could allow the hub and rotor to be sitting at a bad angle and causing some problems.

Another thing to check. With the caliper off, do the pads slide freely in there grooves with the spring return clips installed?

After driving the truck is the squeaky, dusty side hotter have more brake heat than the other side? Maybe a colapsed hose is not allowing the caliper to release completely.

Ive seen rotor guards hit the rotor before and cause really annoying squeaking.

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.