6.0L recommended upgrades? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Komelika
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

6.0L recommended upgrades?

Alright, so eveytime I read a thread I see something that needs to be done to protect the 6.0L from itself. My "new" 06' has 98K on it and I want to make sure it gets another 100K or more. To my knowledge it is bone stock with no upgrades. The OASIS shows that the high pressure oil system has had the seals replaced. I tracked down the previous owner before I bought the truck and he said that he had that repaired 5K miles before he sold it and it has been fine since.

So, without breaking the bank, what are the essential recommended upgrades to keep this truck healthy? Any links to procedures would be helpful too. I can't afford to do everything right now, but I can do a little here and there. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 PM
patrickke
KEM Sales & Support
Member's Gallery

Re: 6.0L recommended upgrades?

H&S or SCT, egr delete, arps, maybe an Industrial Injection Hybrid turbo, exhaust, gauges
Old 03-18-2011, 07:36 PM
yeehaw
Banned
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to yeehaw

coolant filter, ELC coolant, clean oil, good filters
Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
irontx25
I Just Break Stuff
Member's Gallery

Search button goes along way. There lots of threads on this. Up too and including what you want from your truck.
SCT w/Gearhead tunes
Lowered 3 Inches
ARPs
Barder stage 3
Warren Diesel 190/100s
Fluidampr
No Limit intake
Built at Tranny
GoGo Direct Solenoid
6.4 Banjos
AD II
CTS Monitor
GS Elite Gauges
Zex Nitrous
Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
jeremyleggett07
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Minimum put a coolant filtration if can't shell out hefty cash on cab removal for studs.
Dieselsite Coolant Filtration
Studded and Deleted
2-10" Pioneers/400 watt Kicker
TAD 185 Alternator
SCT SF3 EXTREME Tuning By Eric W/ I.D.P.
EDGE CTS Monitor W/ Pyro Probe
2.5" Front Spacers
325x65x18 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Old 03-18-2011, 10:05 PM
SickStroke6.0
Reppin' the 6.4L
Member's Gallery

EGR delete, coolant filter, gauges, 4" exhaust, Zoodad, and SCT w/ SRL tune from Matt.

Looking for a second 6.4L....

2008 F-250 CCSB King Ranch 6.4L
4" Rough Country Lift, Dual Steering Stabilizers, 20x10" XD Diesels, 35x12.50x20" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Line-X, 15% Tint, MBRP 4" Cool Duals w/ 6" Tips, S&B Intake, Flo-Pro EGR Delete and Elbow, MBRP CAC Tube
Old 03-18-2011, 11:13 PM
jeremyleggett07
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Instead of a ton of gauges, Edge insight CTS with expandable probe AND found out you can do reverse camera through the CTS display. Eric at IDP does EXCELLENT tunes with EXTRAORDINARY customer service as well, but to each his own on the tune writer. As long as its SCT its great!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:12 AM
bismic1
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Reliability mods:
1. Replace the STC fitting on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump w/ the upgraded one-piece part
2. Also in the high pressure oil system is the need for the dummy plugs and standpipes to be replaced w/ the upgraded parts (better seals). This may be what the original owner is referring to ...... but no telling from just the words "seals upgraded".
3. Uograded fuel pressure regulator spring.
4. Coolant filter
5. Upgraded EGR cooler or delete it.
6. You may or may not need it, but after flushing the coolant system and replacing the coolant, I would install a new oil cooler. Do this at the same time as the EGR system work (item 5).
7. Many people recommend switching to ELC coolant. It is a good idea, but I do not think it is mandatory. If you keep the Ford Gold, it needs to be flushed every 50k miles.
8. The Edge Insight is a great product, but so is the ScanGaugeII and the DashDaq. Even with these systems, you should add on a fuel pressure gauge and an EGT gauge.
9. Personally, I am VERY glad I did the ccv filter installation, but some say it isn't necessary.
10. The FICM is a weak point. I have a spare.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARPs OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Balljoints;RACCCV6000;Updated HPOP fitting;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;plugs&standpipes;Fumo to;Harpooned;Quadzilla XZT Fuel Press;Blue spring;DashDAQ;PHP_FICM; RiffRaff boots;DCPower270A XP;Inverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;BPD WaterPump;SCT Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra w/ filter;SynchroMax
Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
offroadinginaz
It wasn't me
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic1 View Post
Reliability mods:
1. Replace the STC fitting on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump w/ the upgraded one-piece part
2. Also in the high pressure oil system is the need for the dummy plugs and standpipes to be replaced w/ the upgraded parts (better seals). This may be what the original owner is referring to ...... but no telling from just the words "seals upgraded".
3. Uograded fuel pressure regulator spring.
4. Coolant filter
5. Upgraded EGR cooler or delete it.
6. You may or may not need it, but after flushing the coolant system and replacing the coolant, I would install a new oil cooler. Do this at the same time as the EGR system work (item 5).
7. Many people recommend switching to ELC coolant. It is a good idea, but I do not think it is mandatory. If you keep the Ford Gold, it needs to be flushed every 50k miles.
8. The Edge Insight is a great product, but so is the ScanGaugeII and the DashDaq. Even with these systems, you should add on a fuel pressure gauge and an EGT gauge.
9. Personally, I am VERY glad I did the ccv filter installation, but some say it isn't necessary.
10. The FICM is a weak point. I have a spare.
Bullet Proof Diesel
Strictly Diesel
Arizona Powerstroke Group
Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
mortal798
Banned
Member's Gallery

As far as reliability goes, the STC fitting is a MUST. Mine blew the o-rings out while I was towing my camper. Clean oil, motorcraft filters, and when you can afford it - head studs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 255
03F2506.0, 03wideglide, 04fordsd, 04smokeman, 05lariat, 06 stroker, 06ford, 06powerstroke, 07lariatoutlaw, 07strokerftw, 1989_2004ford, 19_A_LT, 1bad306, 2006nytro, 2006powerleaker, 6.0Pwrstroke, 6.9to6.0, 6bt500, 94Matt, 97rattlebox, ac540, ackdog, adaric, Alex M, amdriven2liv, Arctic Fox, autoteach, Baby_Phil, Backwoods Electric, bad moose, bandit, barlowboyz, bbmxandfmx, BCS, bgyllw, BIGBLUE08, bigbull6.0, BigDeal21, BIGDUX, Bigfordguy07, bighorn3, bigrngyj, billd, bismic1, blair, BPR83, bustednuckles, cadd, cadwell08, caissiel, cgp182, chevyeater351, coalroller3x, coldhanz, Comnhot, cook03F250, coolvette, CoryC, Country, Countryboy07, cummins kid, Dangyo, daveo08, daves02, deadduckky, DEMON, Devilstang93, dexleo2, DFW64, dieselmac, DieselStroke, dissentary, dits145, donalfila, doofpowerstroke, doubleshot, ducatirider944, dukedrummer89, dukhtr3, dvlishdan, ecky, ed3196499, etime80, Extended Power, F-127, fearthat2001, feeldman, Fever, florida 6.0, fordboy11, forddieselkicksass, FordSuperDuty05, G-Sqrd, georgia diesel, gjoski515, goodoleboy45, gtmustang00, harley05, harleydf250, harleyf250, hawgdoctor, HD-tech-NH, headviking, hillbilly123, hill_billiez, HiVoltage, huck2080, id: 5520, irontx25, isimar, izzybird, Jared @ RiceFamilyFarmInc, jcoffey784, jeremyleggett07, jessduen1, jim dandy, jimdawg185, Jingoist, Jm5687, jobsi, Johnboy3, johnm7743, Jomull55, JonnyB, jprod, jratoms, Jstrong43, justatune6.0, JustEZNAlong, justintimemoto, K.C., KingRanchSick.0, Komelika, Krisco, ktm250f, la07superduty, Lilsupa, longhualman, Loonatic, lubeowner, lwcwb08, massa2945, Matt07, mcdaniel1991, Michigan XLT F350, mjcolemn, MobileMiles89, Modern90, monstered, mortal798, Motownfire, mryanc, MT Pockets, MTdiesel, mustanggt6115@yahoo.com, namerritt, nathan6550, nchappy, needalaugh, nelsonar, new2deisel, nickPSD, nielsencc86, nos487, NoSpark, notch86, nrook, Nutz, nylyon, offroadinginaz, oh3 6oh, OKState, Ole, orrwhat, patmac6.0, patrickke, pc97f350, Peyton101010, pizza pig, pjerrn, pog, powerstroke tough, Powerstroke0694, powerstrokedkid87, PowerSub, RazorsEDGE, RescueF250, Rhys05, Rick C, ROADDOG21, robs97z28, RocknRoll, rougerocco, Roz, rschwarzwalder, Rustystpsnhd, Samson, SaNnDnSurF, SAYIWONT, Semperfidoordie, shadow6.0, shocka04, SickStroke6.0, Silverback, silverbullet4x4, SLAMDS10, Smoker05, smokin250, smoknblue06, Smut, SouthFlstrokin', speedracer1000, squirellchaser, SSG John, SteveKY, Steve_03_6.0, straightaxle, STRAIGHTSTROKEN04, STROKER6.04LIFE, stroker62, strokin82, studded 6leaker, Swanie, TAMU_PSD, tchain, Team Spec Miata, techtulsa, therabbittree, TIERNEY, tl1000r, tlittell, tmars51, TonyW121, topshelf7.3l, toyfarm, tsatrooper, tsedsell, turbie, TVMC, tyler07outlaw, user1, vegasff13, Vermonter, Viking, webb06, wedge542, westcoast, white7.3, WichitaF250, Willem, worknot, yeehaw, ZaneD