Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0L recommended upgrades?

13K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  patmac6.0 
#1 ·
Alright, so eveytime I read a thread I see something that needs to be done to protect the 6.0L from itself. My "new" 06' has 98K on it and I want to make sure it gets another 100K or more. To my knowledge it is bone stock with no upgrades. The OASIS shows that the high pressure oil system has had the seals replaced. I tracked down the previous owner before I bought the truck and he said that he had that repaired 5K miles before he sold it and it has been fine since.

So, without breaking the bank, what are the essential recommended upgrades to keep this truck healthy? Any links to procedures would be helpful too. I can't afford to do everything right now, but I can do a little here and there. Thanks for any input!

#3 ·
coolant filter, ELC coolant, clean oil, good filters

#4 ·
Search button goes along way. There lots of threads on this. Up too and including what you want from your truck.

#5 ·
Minimum put a coolant filtration if can't shell out hefty cash on cab removal for studs.

#6 ·
EGR delete, coolant filter, gauges, 4" exhaust, Zoodad, and SCT w/ SRL tune from Matt.

#7 ·
Instead of a ton of gauges, Edge insight CTS with expandable probe AND found out you can do reverse camera through the CTS display. Eric at IDP does EXCELLENT tunes with EXTRAORDINARY customer service as well, but to each his own on the tune writer. As long as its SCT its great!

#8 ·
Reliability mods:
1. Replace the STC fitting on the discharge of the high pressure oil pump w/ the upgraded one-piece part
2. Also in the high pressure oil system is the need for the dummy plugs and standpipes to be replaced w/ the upgraded parts (better seals). This may be what the original owner is referring to ...... but no telling from just the words "seals upgraded".
3. Uograded fuel pressure regulator spring.
4. Coolant filter
5. Upgraded EGR cooler or delete it.
6. You may or may not need it, but after flushing the coolant system and replacing the coolant, I would install a new oil cooler. Do this at the same time as the EGR system work (item 5).
7. Many people recommend switching to ELC coolant. It is a good idea, but I do not think it is mandatory. If you keep the Ford Gold, it needs to be flushed every 50k miles.
8. The Edge Insight is a great product, but so is the ScanGaugeII and the DashDaq. Even with these systems, you should add on a fuel pressure gauge and an EGT gauge.
9. Personally, I am VERY glad I did the ccv filter installation, but some say it isn't necessary.
10. The FICM is a weak point. I have a spare.

#10 ·
As far as reliability goes, the STC fitting is a MUST. Mine blew the o-rings out while I was towing my camper. Clean oil, motorcraft filters, and when you can afford it - head studs.

#14 ·
How do I tell if I already have the upgraded STC fitting? It may have been replaced when the previous owner had the HPOP work done.

The coolant filter seems like a relatively cheap and easy upgrade. Does anyone use this sinister kit? 2003-2007 6.0L Coolant Filtration System

I was reading on another site about running coolant bypass with ELC isn't a good idea because the filter raises SCA levels, which is greek to me. Anyone know what this means and if it is valid?

Thanks again for the information.

#21 ·
From my experience and maintenance of my diesels for the past 18 years.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND A COOLANT FLUSH AND ADD CAT-1 ELC for our 6.0L trucks.

The Coolant filter has been clean ever since I have flushed my and the coolant and related equipment is even cleaner since the new coolant added.

Ford did a realy bad mistake of using the Gold coolant and all of us have to do something about it before our trucks get hurt by it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.