Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Shocks

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  BigDeal21 
#1 ·
About a week ago I noticed the truck was sounding kind of noisy in the suspension department. When I flex the front axle coming up my driveway it’s loud. Turning the truck sharp also just sounds like crap. Ball joints are good. I checked the leaf springs in both the front and rear and everything is tight and aligned. I’m thinking its shocks. There stock with 98k on them. My question is how do I tell if there shot? I’m guessing they are and need your guys input before I purchase new ones. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
X2..98k on stockers,,they're done....Alot of people love the Bilsteins,,but i prefer the Rancho RS9000XL's....Way better ride when truck is empty ,,and can be adjusted for towing...I had Bilstein 5100's and after riding in my friends truck with the RS9000XL's ,,,i bought a set and got rid of the 5100'S

#11 ·
I've run or am running Bilsteins, Monroe and Ranchos.

Bilstein makes a good quality shock, but you have to get the right damping for your setup.

The 5100s tend to be a bit harsh at the end of their stroke. The 5160s are supposed to be more progressive. I haven't tried them yet.

The Ranchos RS7000 XLs blew up. The seal in the adjuster blew out and then the rods leaked. Junk.

I don't have enough time on the Monroe Sensatracs to figure out if they are good or not. Thus far I would say they ride better than anything, but I haven't towed with them yet.

#14 ·
That's cool! Glad you like them. I wanted the 5100's for my Ex but when I received them they were way too long. To my disappointment Bilstein don't make the 5100's for a stock height Excursion ( I was told they did make them from the vendor). I finally settled on the yellow and blue heavy duty ones. Yes night and day difference.

#15 ·
Yes I noticed they don’t make them for stock height trucks. I had to send him measurements and he got them made. Couldn’t be happier with the ride and the price he got them for. I will be recommending Bilstiens to people. Now I just need to do the track bar bushings and the truck should drive like new again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.