Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

NOS or a 42r?

3K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  GTwho? 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I need some opinions here. David built a long block for me that has the works:crowers, mahles,girdle,etc. I'm going with the stage 3 hybrids he sells and the 38r that's on the truck now. I'm hoping for 500-ish hp. It's been pointed out that I could get in the 650 range with a 42r but that's gonna run me $4k to get set up. That got me to thinking that I could do NOS a lot cheaper and add 150hp for the strip or whatever. I wouldn't use it in the DD tune, just for playtime:D
What do you guys think? I have no experience at all with NOS. Good or bad idea?
EDIT: The truck is my DD and I haul a 10K 5er when I change jobs and go to the next job. I pull every couple of months or so for greatly varying distances.

#2 ·
Well first when you call it NOS you sound like a highschool kid that just watched Fast and Furious who doesn't have a clue. N.O.S. is a manufacturer of nitrous parts, NOT what nitrous is called.

If you use your truck for work then I'd leave it the way it is or maybe do a bigger turbo and call it good unless you can afford down time with it when you brake it. Personaly I'd rather have that power on tap all the time with the turbo anyway. I did get a nitrous system for the dyno and srip because it was cheaper in the mean time but I do plan on getting twins on the truck when funds allow. Had I had to do over considering the amount of money that I ended up putting into the system already I'd probably had done the twins first.

#3 ·
Good advice. I was just too lazy to spell nitrous. :D:poke:

#6 ·
Interesting. I was under the impression that you could ramp iy up and down or adjust nozzle sizes to limit the amount of nitrous you injected. I'm trying to learn here, not be arguementive.

#12 ·
I was quoted over $4k for a complete 42r installed. That's, oh....about $3k more than the nitrous. That's why I started this thread. I know the turbo is much more practical and reliable. I just don't want to drop the cash right now. I could afford $1k or so for the nitrous(I told you guy's I meant it) and enjoy the power when I play. I'm really torn about it. I want dependability and reliability more than anything. 450hp will be more than enough to keep a smile on my face as a DD. I want the extra power for playtime and playtime doesn't happen for me all that often.
With good tuning and conservative-ish nitrous, how likely am I to tear my engine up?

#14 ·
Nothing is indestructible, but you should be fine for a small shot.

Btw those injectors are to small for a 42r regardless.

For what you want, in my opinion that turbo would be a waste of money.

Run the nitrous :D

#16 ·
Yeah, I was gonna upgrade both. I have a severe handicap in the knowledge section of building hp with diesels. I know absolutely nothing about flow rates, turbo maps, tuning....the list goes on and on. The original plan was Davids stage 4's and the 42r. Cash flow, my wife and kids got in the way of that. Something about bills and mortgages. She lost me with all that. I'm sure more than a few on here can sympathize.
Anywho, I'm trying to squeeze what I can out of it without wrecking the damn thing. The way I see it, I paid and I wanna play...but just a little bit. I'm not trying to run with the big dogs, but I do wanna get off the porch every now and then.

#18 ·
with propper tuning and a good built motor, a little spray is not going to hurt. the 42r will run cooler exhaust temps and make more power on fuel only, but like you said will cost 4k. what nozzle size you going with? if youre staying w/ 80 over nozzles, youll get more power from the nitrous. If you are going w/ 200 over nozzles, youll see larger gains from the 42 than if it were on the same injectors w/ 80 over nozzles. Nitrous would like the larger nozzles as well.

#20 ·
Follow the link...I have no idea what nozzle or flow rate or CC or anything else. Unfortunately, I'm in the world of " do this because I know it works". That is not at all a knock on anyone. I simply don;t have the education or experience to do otherwise.
I'm trying to gain both as painlessly as possible. That's what I love about this site. Guys like me can learn from other's experience. An old saying: Good judgement comes from experience; which usually comes from bad judgement.
Stage 3 "Mini-Me" Hybrid 530 Performance Injectors

#19 ·
Yeah turbos aren't that expensive depending on what you get and I do all my own fab work and installs. That takes a lot of the cost out of it.

#27 ·
I guess it will all come down to a heart to wallet talk with David. I REALLY want the power, but I REALLY don't want to break anything. I truly believe that proper sizing and tuning can keep me from breaking something. If I'm gonna play....

#28 ·
Just leave the 38r and run 238-250 (100% nozzles) injectors and have it live tuned. Using the same injectors and running a 42r is not going to make much more power. Just keep the 38r and run 250cc/100% and have it live tuned and run a 150 shot on it.

A guy got live tuned at Beans and put down 570ish rwhp through a manual tranny with 238/100's and a 38r. Had water/meth and a 1.15 housing 38r with a wastegate.

I am having my truck live tuned by Beans and hope to get 550 ish because of I have an automatic.

#30 ·
I ran the orange truck for quite some time like that with no issues. Over 300 timeslips alone like that.

#37 ·
So you think if you were making 50lbs of drive pressure instead of 90 it would have worked better?

#38 ·
I'm sure it would have. But my point was that it can still be a very reliable set-up and an awesome true daily driver.

#41 ·
If youre shooting for 550, those injectors youre getting, a 38r w/ the 115 housing, and a single stage will do it all day. With a built motor, and some good tuning youll also have very good reliability.
115 housing? Man that thing must be HUGE!!! I'd probably stick with someting a little smaller like a 1.15 or a 1.0 instead. LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.