Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

We Are Getting Kicked Out Of Our House....

3K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  HotRodTractor 
#1 ·
The lady who runs our rental contract called us today and told us the bank is short selling it because the owner is under water from a bad business investment.

Weird that they can just do that with no notice.

Guess we might be coming back to Michigan sooner than planned....

Please pray for us, we don't have time or money for this right now.

Jim

#3 ·
I hope everything works out for you.

#4 ·
Man thats a raw deal, sorry to hear. There has to be some law though I would think (im sure varies from state to state) that protects renters from such things. Might maybe call your local DA and see what can be done, either way might want to get some leagal advice.

I hope it all works out for the better for you and your family.

#7 ·
Deff get some legal advice. May be some law in your area that prevents this. Atleast I hope so for your sake. Praying for ya buddy, keep your chin up.

#11 ·
prayers sent, get ahold of the state and find out what the laws are.

#12 ·
Heres some links that should help you out.

Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development

VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia

If you didnt have a rental agreement you have to get a written 30 day notice. The landlord has 45 days to return your deposit after vacating the property.

Heres some more info.

"Virginia Fair Housing Office

Handles cases of discrimination in the rental of a home or a manufactured-home lot.

Perimeter Center, 9960 Maryland Drive
Richmond, VA 23233
(804) 367-8530 or (888) 551-3247
TTY: (804) 367-9753
Email: fairhousing@dpor.virginia.gov"

"Housing Opportunities Made Equal
Provides tenant counseling, discrimination testing, down payment assistance and other services.

700 East Franklin, Suite 3A
Richmond, VA 23219
(804) 354-0641
TTY: (804) 354-0680
Fax: (804) 354-0690
Website: Housing Opportunities Made Equal of Virginia, Inc. - Serving the Commonwealth of Virginia

Tips for Tenants:

"Virginia Office of Consumer Affairs
Answer general questions concerning the Virginia Landlord and Tenant Act.

Outside Richmond: (800) 552-9963
In Richmond: (804) 786-2042

"Department of Housing and Community Development
For a copy of the Department of Housing and Community Development handbook containing the current Virginia Residential Landlord and Tenant ACT.

(804) 371-7000

"The Virginia Legal Aid Society
Gives legal counsel.

(866) 534-5243
Website: VaLegalAid.org - A guide to free and low cost civil legal information and services in Virginia

For building code violations contact the city building inspector listed in the blue section of your local telephone book (white pages).

Please note that some cities and counties in Virginia have their own landlord tenant commissioner offices. Please contact those offices directly for additional information that may be specific to your locality"

Hope that can provide you with some helpful info.

#15 ·
No problem, thats what we are all here for. Just hate to see that happen to a family.

#18 ·
Sorry to hear about the deal, but if your state is anything like mine, you have 30 days from notice and that is about it. Is there any chance you can find out who is buying the place? They might want a renter already in place?

#22 ·
Kind of. You can appeal the eviction notice and buy yourself more time. The key here is that its a short sale. If a potential buyer made an offer on the house today, it would most likely take 3-4 months for the bank to accept or reject that offer. Then you still have to go to closing.

Jim - let me talk to someone today and see if I can get some more info about your rights. If the house is now up for sale, have you considered purchasing it?

#20 ·
Federal HUD laws state that you can not be removed from the property from November 15 to April 15.

#24 ·
So if you have 3-4 months before you are forced out why pay rent? The current owner isn’t going to pay the bank. You should hold that money aside and use it for moving.

I am unfortunately filing bankruptcy and loosing my house. I haven’t made a house payment sense September and I will legally be able to stay in my house for almost a year. I know you are in a different state and different situation but you might be able to save up some extra cash for moving expenses from now until they actually force you out.

Good luck.

#28 ·
That is the whole situation here in that case, it all depends on the lease agreement. Is the renter on a month to month or did he sign a long term lease and is the lease still in effect? There are alot of questions unanswered or unasked here.

#29 ·
If you'd like to Buy a house here in the lynchburg/roanoke area And stay in VA let me know, I can do my best to get you pre approved for a loan and try to get you as close as possible to the amount in rent you were paying, unless you were paying something rediculously low of couse lol

Shoot me a PM if your interested, I work at Alcova Mortgage in Roanoke.

#30 ·
Thanks a ton everybody. It seems that we should have 30 days, not what the realtor made it sound like yesterday. The fact that the realtor is also the person that was running the lease compounds the problem. So it appears technically she gave us notice yesterday and can technically assume we should be out in 30. We can fight it, and we might not have a choice to because of all the things going on here.

Great info everyone!!!

Thanks again!

#31 ·
If you need anything over here in MI just let me know, will be happy to help you out in any way I can. I'm only about 30 miles from Grand Haven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.