Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lifting 97 F350 CCLB NEED HELP PLEASE!

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Texas_outlaw 
#1 ·
I am in the beginning stages of planning my lift. I am on a budget like anyone else and trying to do the best/safest lift possible without breaking the bank. I was thinking about doing a 4" Skyjacker lift and backing that up with a Sky Manufacturing 5"/4.5" shackle lift. I am going to use a 37" tire and want a nice big look. I don't want to use mudders, probably going to go with BFG A/T's, with a 17" wheel the price is still almost something I can stomach.

Questions I have:

1) will a 6" drop pitman work? Or will I need a custom drop?

2) what do I do about drive shaft angles? I know the geometry gets all out of wack and I want to keep from replacing u-joints every couple thousand miles.

3) what kind of shock would you suggest?

4) what else am I missing?

This is my first lift, if I sound green thats because I am. Just looking for some input. If you have something simular and you can list what you used that would be awesome. Even a picture of your rig would be great. My buddy is finishing up the body work and I will be lifting it in May.

Any and all input would be helpful.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am in the beginning stages of planning my lift. I am on a budget like anyone else and trying to do the best/safest lift possible without breaking the bank. I was thinking about doing a 4" Skyjacker lift and backing that up with a Sky Manufacturing 5"/4.5" shackle lift. I am going to use a 37" tire and want a nice big look. I don't want to use mudders, probably going to go with BFG A/T's, with a 17" wheel the price is still almost something I can stomach.

Questions I have:

1) will a 6" drop pitman work? Or will I need a custom drop? 6" will work fine for you.

2) what do I do about drive shaft angles? I know the geometry gets all out of wack and I want to keep from replacing u-joints every couple thousand miles. You may need some degree shims that will help driveline angles, & a drop carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft.

3) what kind of shock would you suggest? On a solid axle / leaf susp. shocks are not as important as coil overs, I always use a double front shock mount & cheap shocks.

4) what else am I missing? Upgraded steering stabilizer will help a lot. Check out Rough country they are a inexpensive lift usually, Ive had pretty good luck with em in the past. I recommend BDS but big $$$

This is my first lift, if I sound green thats because I am. Just looking for some input. If you have something simular and you can list what you used that would be awesome. Even a picture of your rig would be great. My buddy is finishing up the body work and I will be lifting it in May.

Any and all input would be helpful.

Thank you.

Hope this helps

If your gonna stack lifts you might need a longer trac bar or a lower trac bar mount then the 4" one u are looking at. I make all my own out of a 3 point hitch are you can get at your local farm store & its adjustable!! get it to your desired length & weld it solid.

When you get it done you are looking for your trac bar & your steering drag link to run parallel or close to it. If not you will have bad bump steer.

#3 ·
I dont think your going to be able to fit 37's under a 4" lift. I have a 6" and have enough room for 37's. little rub but thats it. You are going to have to drop the trac bar.

#5 ·
I have 36x15.50" ATZ's and clear the bumper and fenders just fine with a 4" Rough Country lift. It does however rub the springs at full turn but the wide tire would he to blame for that. The bumper is spaced forward just a little and trimmed a small piece off. Neither one would be noticeable if I didn't tell you. I have had this set up for 8 months now. I question the length of the pitman arm RC sends with the lift. I don't think it drops far enough. Local shop said it needs about 2" more and also steering stabilizer(s). I ordered a dual stabilizer yesterday from RC so we'll see what kind of difference it will make going from not having any at all. LOL

I would post pictures but I am on my phone and haven't mastered that one yet.:doh: I will when I get to a computer or you can look at my Facebook page.

#7 ·
If you want it to ride with any quality you need to use a RS kit and SD springs. You need a min 3" RS kit and 4" front icons, rear 5" Icons on 2" blocks. this is because the suspension will actually flex unlike std lift kits. You will need a Hi steer kit for correct steering and a new track bar and mount system or you will have major bump steer. We have everything needed to lift a OBS correctly. Pm me if I can help.

#8 ·
I ordered a dual stabilizer yesterday from RC so we'll see what kind of difference it will make going from not having any at all. LOL

I have used the RC Stabilizer on a few different trucks, they are cheap & work really good!!

#9 ·
Good to hear! Hopefully it does the trick. Local alignment shop said I needed atleast one and figured with the price might as well get a dual, plus it should look good. Who knowsLOL. I might be looking into getting a pitman arm that drops lower anyways. I guess we shall see.

#10 ·
I have a brand new BDS 6" pitman arm in the box, what # spline does your truck have? I ll sell u this one if u want it.

#16 ·
I've got a 4" superlift and sky manufacturing 5" RSK with a 4.5"flip in the rear. Very durable and well built. I had to use the track bar spacer sent with the RSK and the extended mount in the superlift kit to get a good angle and fit. I talked to numerous driveline shops and was told to clock my transfercase unless I wanted to spend big money for a custom shaft with a 40-60 degree CV joint. Great lake off road sells the transfercase indexing ring for $70 that has 3 set points and will put your driveline angle to pretty much stock. I had the 42's on my truck with just the superlift and they fit well. Having a ranch hand replacement bumper up front helps a lot with tire bigger tires. Any questions feel free to ask, I've had enough experience doing all of this to my truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.