Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The Ruins of Detroit

3K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  johnday 
#1 ·
Seeing the political atmosphere in Michigan, I wasn't sure to put this here, or the Political forum. Some of you guys that have been in and out, and through Detroit for years, may want to take a look. It's really a rather sad statement of how much Detroit has declined for various reasons. No laughing matter for those of us that were there.
Yves Marchand Romain Meffre Photography - The Ruins of Detroit

#3 ·
Oh yeah, regardless of how people feel about Detroit, it used to be quite a class act. I used to stop over at Lindels, before a game, have a few. Then walk down Michigan to Nemo's and have a couple more. Then to the stadium. I've been to Comerica Park, and it is nice, but it's no Tiger Stadium. Crap, I was going there when it was Briggs Stadium, and watched Norm Cash.
I really never wanted to live there, but I always liked looking around.;)

#6 ·
Yes it is. Unfortunately, the photos you saw are just the tip of the iceberg. Beyond the old buildings, there are new warehouses in the area that have never been used.

#9 ·
If you ever find yourself bored, take a ride sometime sometime down Grandriver Ave, and some of the other neighbourhoods. Some of those houses and apartment buildings were beautiful in their day. Now they're just Devils Night targets.
Word of caution, do it during the day. Not trying to scare anyone, it actually has cleaned up a little. Just drive around like ya own the place.;)

#10 ·
that absolutely makes me sick, we just don't build beautiful buildings anymore and to let those just rot away is wrong, just wrong. I can't believe some of those were still standing. So did crime get so bad that everyone left or what?

#13 ·
Crime had some to do with it, government and street both. I think the final thing was back in the early '80's, the great dismantling began, literally. I was part of the guys that transported factory machinery, etc, down to the border.
The crime is still there, but not as bad, ya still have to watch yourself and know how to act, but maybe one of the things that helped is the concealed weapons laws being changed. That's only my opinion and no need for debate in this thread.
No matter, a prime example of the decay in the large cities. Detroit really gets me, I spent a lot of time there from the '60's to just recently.

The Train Station, wow, what a loss, I'd give practically anything to see that in it's heydey. As it is, right in front of it is somewhat of a park. Geez, homeless people and all, totally pathetic.

#12 ·
Looks the same since last time I was there (13 years ago), sad sight to see. I went hopping through all the old record shops and parts shops when I was there. Sometimes it looked like movie scenes from robocop, burning cars in the street, cars on blocks stripped down to the frame, bum's sleeping on old couches in the middle of the road and so on. It was kinda depressing, I was hoping it would have been much more nostalgic than it was.

#14 ·
Cat Rebel, some funny stuff that!! I LMAO at the fishfly thing, and that was pretty accurate about downriver. Lends credence to the fact that the ones that still have any money have gotten out of there. Attitudes are us down there.

I don't know if the comedian Gallager is still around, this guy could make ya cry he was so funny. He came out on stage with one of those wool buffalo plaid coats like used to be used for hunting. Then he put a matching Elmer Fudd hat on, and says, "This is Michigan". OMG, he hit a homerun on that one!LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

On the fishfly thing, why do some people call them May Flies, when they come out in June?:shrug:

#18 ·
Eerie PA is the only place I've actually visited in the states, nice little place... Sorta.

Yeah, I think the name difference is just because of the small differences between UK English and US English really.

I thought those things lived in more temperate areas though..

#19 ·
Nope they're here. I wonder if the Brit version is around salt water, ours are in freshwater. Some people do call them Mayflies here. They could be two different things.;)

#22 ·
Most of those buildings would cost 10 times to rehab as a brand new one would cost to build. Sad they were not maintained. I would have expected everything to be looted but some things were untouched. That antique dentist's chair in the one photo is prob. worth about 2k alone.

#25 ·
Unfortunately it is cheaper to raze them, rather than recondition. Either way is quite expensive. Everyone of those buildings is laden with lead paint, and asbestos. And in order to do anything, it all has to be abated, whether razing or reconditioning. And to think all it would have taken was some maintenance.
Over in Europe, and Coltaine can likely vouch for me, old buildings are a given. I was over in Scotland a month after 9-11. I stood in Carlyl Castle [spelling] where Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned. As well as an abbey that was older than anything in North America. The abbey was still in use. And there was plenty of others. We truly are a disposable society.:(

#29 ·
I remember it being called white flight. Happened in Detroit and Flint. I moved from Michigan in '86 when i was 13. Just went back before christmas for my uncles funeral in flushing and couldn't believe how bad Flint was. The buildings that were sitting empty there would go for 200k and up in Denver.

A few of my Unlces were talking that a buddy of theres inherited 2 houses when his grandma died. He thought he was doing good. They were worth 6k combined!

#30 ·
Oh ya, Flint has been hit hard as well. Despite that, there were a number of places I'd hook loads around there. I swear though, I'd rather deal with Detroit than Flint. From what I've heard, the gangs are pretty prevalent in Flint.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.