Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ball joint press

24K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Turd-250 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a Ball Joint Press, but which one works for our trucks.

Looking to be able to do 1/2 ton(D44), D50,& D60

#2 ·
i have a matco, works for everything i have done, did my old f-150 and it does all my 250-350-450. Pay for a good one, i had a cheap craftsman long ago and it didnt last, i was pulling a joint and it snapped right in half....cheap mexican steel

#5 ·
I have a cheap one (otc?) and it has done everything i've tried so far, but I haven't gotten to a D60 yet.

#7 ·
If you go to your local advance auto they have them there in there rental section i think its around $165 to rent it its been a while since ive needed one but if you decide to keep it its yours since you already paid the money for it. i had no problem taking the ones out in my f 250 with it

#12 ·
#18 ·
Central Pneumatics master ball joint press kit, had it for 10 years. I have used it on every vehicle you can just about think of hundreds of times with an impact gun. Best 135 I have spent on a kit like this. Got it at Carlisle spring swap meet from one of the tool dealers.

#19 ·
I have a set from advance auto parts, I have used it a couple dozen times. works great. Thinkn I have just under $200 in it w all the adapters.

#20 ·
#24 ·
I have the OTC one with te standard adapters that I comes with and I have done both obs and superduty ball joints with no issues. I have yet to try on my dana 44 but will e happening soon

#26 ·
Already stated that it's an 04 4wd F350.

The problem with those presses is the adapters all assume that the pressing surfaces and balljoints are parallel. On any of the Dana 60 front axles they aren't parallel.

The OTC presses have angled cups available that you can't get with the HF press. I use a combination of a HF press and my 30 ton shop press to push D60 balljoints in and out.

#32 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.