Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fords new 6.4 flash

52K views 185 replies 74 participants last post by  08F2506.4L 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of this new flash. I talked with a diesel tech yesterday and he said a new one came out and it will monitor the injectors more closely. I don't remember everything he said and if I get something wrong I appologize in advance. He said the computer will throw a code or something if the injectors are hanging up to save the motor. I also heard that if you get this new flash and have the SCT, the SCT won't work. I don't know if H&S or Spartan will be affected as well. I'll have to call H&S.
Hope someone else will chime in.

#4 ·
Okay this is what I found out. It is a recall flash for the PCM and the number is 11B23. Some may get a letter in the mail if not you can call the dealer and ask them about it.
"...Ford Motor Company is providing a no-chatrge Customer Satisfaction Program (11B23) for your vehicle, with the vehicle Identification number shown above.
In order to avoid potentially time consuming and costly service repairs, Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Powertrain Control Module(PCM) for your vehicle with improved fault detection capabilities. This will allow the vehicle to quickly detect and react to issues before significant damage occurs. Some examples include water in fuel reduced power mode, engine coolant temperature monitoring, over full engine oil level, and proper circulation within the engine oil cooler. Your dealer will provide more detailed information after the service is complete."

SCT said if you get this latest flash their tuner wont work. They are working on getting this strategy supported.

I called H&S and they said they haven't heard of this yet and will look into it and let us know.

#60 ·
Okay this is what I found out. It is a recall flash for the PCM and the number is 11B23. Some may get a letter in the mail if not you can call the dealer and ask them about it.
"...Ford Motor Company is providing a no-chatrge Customer Satisfaction Program (11B23) for your vehicle, with the vehicle Identification number shown above.
In order to avoid potentially time consuming and costly service repairs, Ford has developed calibration improvements to the Powertrain Control Module(PCM) for your vehicle with improved fault detection capabilities. This will allow the vehicle to quickly detect and react to issues before significant damage occurs. Some examples include water in fuel reduced power mode, engine coolant temperature monitoring, over full engine oil level, and proper circulation within the engine oil cooler. Your dealer will provide more detailed information after the service is complete."
Got my letter in the mail from Ford yesterday..

#15 ·
the truck i just bought has the brand new flash in it. hm cant wait to get it hear sounds like its gonna be awesome

#16 ·
so the one major thing i've noticed since the new flash is less fuel mileage.
or maybe they corrected the dash readout, not sure.

normally doing ~65mph at 1800rpm i'd get about 16-17 (on dash), now i cannot get it over 14-15.

does anyone have any info on the sct problems? i haven't tried to re-program mine yet, i'm waiting to hear..

#17 ·
im not sure which flash i have mine is 2010. if your getting 14-15 with dpf on your way ahead of me. ive always gotten 12.9 even after re setting the meter. it always ends back to 12.9.

#18 ·
Will the spartan still work? Mine just got a new tranny 3wks ago. Ill have to c if they flashed mine. It did shift nice coming home

#22 ·
I haven't heard anything more from SCT, Spartan, or H&S. I looked on the H&S forum and there's a question posted up there regarding this and there is still no response from H&S. Maybe they are looking into this but I wish they would at least say "we are looking into this". This goes for Spartan as well.

#29 ·
i wonder if the spartan will throw your old tune back in. i know when i had the 6.0 with sct if you dont unlock the stradegy it will load the old tune and erase your updated flash from ford, unless you unlock the device because they are all vin locked. thats what ive been told by the tuner i had.

#27 ·
I dropped my 2010 6.4 off at the dealer tonite to install a couple S.O.P. parts and I asked my advisor about the new flash and he had done one truck but no feed back on if it changed any fuel mileage etc.. I elected to wait until I see some responses on it. So if you have it done please post good bad.

#30 ·
Well they got mine. I asked them not to flash and they did with the new one anyway (was in for a/c work). SCT won't work now so going to put DPF back in - hope SCT gets this worked out quickly!

#31 ·
did you have sct loaded and they over wrote it with the stock file? next time you take it in just put a zip tie around the obd port to keep them from hooking up to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.