Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Engine Noise - Any ideas?

9K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  907DAVE 
#1 ·
Check out the video......

#4 ·
Sometimes I think I hear my truck doing that too.....

Could it be rockers needing to be retorque....I heard of something been retorque on the head when doing 50 cent mod....can't remember.

I'm not sure if injectors would make that noise.
Also I heard a few trucks that sound like that. Hopefully someone else will tell us what it is.

#8 ·
I did about a 5 minute run at 1k....20PSI pulling a +40 gooseneck.......

I am relieved that this seems fairly normal, it has always made a similar noise....with my last engine and multiple set of injectors. It seems much louder since a recent 700 mile round trip towing that trailer, which has got me a bit worried.

#9 ·
Mine does this too. I had my vc off the other day and some of the rocker arms moved side to side a little. Do they just need to be retightened?

#10 ·
If the two bolts aren't tight to the head then it obviously needs attention.

Otherwise there really ain't much to the rockers. Just a base, an arm, and a ball bearing. Replacing the bearing might help, but I think it's only a few bucks for a new rocker.

#11 ·
I dont think they were lose. I'll have to look again. They didnt move a lot. Only a little.

#14 ·
I will try and get one later.

#20 ·
Would you mine checking the OD of the piston skirt 1 inch up from bottom, and then check a good one and see what the diff is in thousands. I would like to know if the skirt failed. (what brand of pistons are you running)
I have the same knock and it started after I blew the head gasket and got it hot. Thanks Joe

#22 ·
Hey hope that wasn't any parts I sold you. lol
Yea I also have Mahle's. I had 3 sets and the first two sets, all the pistons were the same dia. so I had this block bored plus .020 all eight holes without checking the dia. on the pistons. Wrong I should of had the block bored to each piston. The dia of the pistons were off as much as .004 and I didn't catch it until I was assembling the engine. So being in a hurry I put it together, and it was quiet until I blew the head gasket and drove it on in to work (4 miles) Than I trailered it home and fixed the gasket. Fired it back up and heard the noise. Bye the way don't buy the felpro head gaskets. There cheap for a reason. lol. I have blown 2 different ones with 35 lbs of boost.
I now use International T444, and they seem to work fine, 72.00 with tax ea.
Let me know what you find.
Thanks Joe

#23 ·
damn you move quick, do you have them on with wing nuts!?
sorry to see that.

#30 ·
Just thinking outloud, but could it be a case of the piston rocking under heavy load before the rings were fully seated and it just bypassing cylinder pressure when the rocking occured? Is that indeed blowby on the skirt? Or is that an after affect of the rings getting messed from piston material being deposited on the cylinder wall?

#31 ·
Pretty sure that is the result of the piston scuffing. Before I removed the engine I did a leak down test on that and a few other cylinders, that cylinder had over 40% leakage where all the other cylinders had almost none.....all of which were machined with similar clearances.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.