Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Spartan tuned 6.7 first impressions!!!!!

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  powerstroker67 
#1 ·
Got to spend some time with Matt at Spartan tuning my 6.7 and here's my findings and impressions so far. To start this truck is a CC/SB with 8" of lift and American Force Supersingles with adaptors and 37" Dunlop Maxx traction tires. The truck went down from CT to Matt's in NC a few days prior to the shootout at Rudy's Diesel/ Aaron's running on a H+S mini max. On the way down the truck averaged 15.1 MPG hand calc using a Garman nav for miles travelled(speedo was still slightly off due to me playing with tire size on the H+S and gear ratio with my IDS software). After spending the day with Matt and trying a ton of different programs I left to cross NC to Rudy's Thursday night. First impressions were that the throttle was much more responsive and the turbo would spool up faster from a flat foot/dead start. Based on the smoke from the tailpipe the fueling is much more aggressive, and spool up is reduced greatly from the H+S. Next was the trip across to Rudy's, which truck ran great and seemed to "learn" and become faster and faster as I went. The transmission still seemed to love the power as it did with the H+S, and it just never missed a beat. Roll on acceleration at highway speed is nite and day different between the two programmers, at 1600 rpm it just comes on. After helping Aaron get things ready at the shop Friday, we strapped his truck to his dyno and made some pulls and got a peak HP of 468hp(no torque numbers, dyno just got installed and we were in a rush). After picking up Mike from Diesel Power, Chad from Flynn's Shop and my son at the airport we strapped my truck down and made some pulls also ending up with 464hp. I wish we took the time to get tq numbers as I believe based on driving both tuners the Spartan tune would have had high tq numbers. The tire and wheel package on Aaron's truck was a much lighter 35" ish tire on a BMF wheel, so I know my heavier rolling stock cost some hp. As another side note, my truck was only making 20ish psi boost on the Spartan tune were as it made 28-29 on the H+S. After talking to Matt Sunday, he has revised the tunes somemore and is now making 28-30 psi boost. Power is up a great deal more, can't wait to try that revised tune. The trip home was made running the Spartan tune, and Mileage was up almost 1.8 MPG, but I only checked til we got nearer to home because Sunday night traffic was stop and go. I think this is great news for 6.7 owners as competition like this creates better products for the end user! Can't wait to see what Eric and Innovative have, as I know he's close to finished also.

See less See more
#6 ·
:rockon:
Boy i'm really using this emoticon a lot lately...

#7 ·
Great job Matt. Glad to see it come together.

#13 ·
The H+S tuner made the truck run higher boost levels, the truck would run at 28-30 psi boost on the H+S were the Spartan tune I was running ran WOT around 20 psi. Matt has since change that in the programming if that answers your question.

#9 ·
sure hope somthing is done and easy to mod. did you have to do any deletes?

#19 ·
I bet if the trucks had the same size/weight tires and wheels that 4hp difference would have been the other way around!!!

#20 ·
I could be way off here but Im too lazy to dig around, but I was thinking when adam dynoed his truck after getting the h&s on he did like 497 rwhp or something...?

and did you just get tuned off a laptop, or does spartan have a flash device available now?

#21 ·
The H+S numbers are not correct, or at least we've never seen a customers truck on the dyno in the real world. H+S may have put that numb er down with there truck but it has been duplicated in the retail customer side yet(that I've seen). Most H+S tuned 6.7's seem to put down in the 440-460 hp range so far. The truck we dyno'ed with mine was as H+S tuner, exhaust and intake and it put down 468hp.

The tunes are installed via laptop as Drew tech is finishing the support structure for the Dashdaq to be licensed to tune the 6.7 ford. It should be very soon for the device for Spartan in stall the tune to be finished. The difficult part of tuning these trucks is to properly save the stock file cleanly and be able to put the truck back to stock with a good backup. There are ways to reflash these 6.7's that don't get a clean file install and return to stock.

#28 ·
I don't ready understand this question as it looks like it belongs in the 6.4 section, but yes both Matt's truck and my truck are considered Job 1 2011 6.7's they were some of the first trucks off the assembly line. If the question is truely a 6.4 question, then the answer is also yes. A 6.4 Job 1 can be tuned without a Spartan TCM it is only suggested as the higher hp tunes are run on a 6.4 like the 310 or 350 hp tunes. My 6.4 ran the 275 Spartan tune with stock TCM for a good long time without any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.