Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Wrecked my truck-question.

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  bluedge8 
#1 ·
I put my truck on its side in a ditch this morning. Before I pick it up from the impound lot do I need to worry about anything before I start it?

#2 ·
Check all of your fluids and I would rotate the motor by hand to make sure it's not hydrolocked I'd also think about pulling the pipe coming from the intercooler to make sure its not full of oil which will make the motor do a runaway

#5 ·
As stated above and combined with the fact that any fluid with a flash point can ignite in a compression ignition engine including your lubricating oil you need to be careful about this! Having a rag or something to cut off air flow is the best way to stop this. But beware, one wrong move and raggie go suckie into turbo, which can cause damage as well. Just be careful and listen to the above posts and you should be fine.

#6 ·
further explanation on a diesel runaway, diesels do not have control over the incoming air like a gas engine does- the engine speed (rpm) is only controlled by how much fuel you give it. If the intercooler has a lot of oil in it from the engine, it will get sucked into the intake and act like a "fuel", but you don't have control over this "fuel" and the more the motor gets the higher it revs and the higher it revs the more it pulls oil from the intercooler- and the only thing you can do is try to shut off the air- but I have heard of more rags going thru the motor than actually killing the engine- in this case your best best would be something flat like sheet steel or the like. and btw your intercooler pipes are mid tank, it can hold a lot of oil. if you are down on fluids you should probably pull the intercooler and drain it. (unless it has a drain, but I don't think they do)

#8 ·
When I was in college for diesel repair we had a 1/2" thick steel plate that someone had to hold at the air inlet anytime a motor was started after being worked on. You would have to remove your air filter / air box to create a way to kill the motor. A piece of 2x6 or 2x8 lumber should work. Do not use a rag unless you need an excuse to by a bigger turbo & a built motor.

#13 ·
No it will not... Oil cant just drain off.. You have to take the intercooler pipes off and clean them, And take the inter cooler out a have it flushed, And cleaned..

#10 ·
pull your air inlet pipe off of the intake elbow.

have a clip board to block off the elbow inlet. start the engine if theres enough fluid in the crank case, trans. let it idle. if it starts accelerating on its own, place the clip board on the intake. it will shut the engine down.

also, with the pipe off the I/C it will blow out some fluids if any is in there once it's running.

yes, a clip board will work. we use them at my work with Tractor trailer truck engines against the turbo inlet or on the intake inlet if we suspect there's trace oil in the intake or excessive fueling going on.

#14 ·
So what happens if you turn the ignition off? Wouldn't this kill the call from the PCM for the engine to fire regardless of fuel supply? Someone has to further explain this to me, seems like there should be a emergency shut off from the factory if there was any small oil leak possible?

#16 ·
Turning the key off will do nothing if your truck is running on the oil in the intake. Diesels run on fuel or anything that ignites under high compression. Its not like a gas engine. On a gas engine you take the spark away the engine shuts off and also you have a throttle body or carb to shut the air o most all the way. Diesel's rpm are not controlled by a throttle body or carbs, diesels are just by fuel so you put more fuel to it you get more rpm. As of the 6th gear thing, yes you could do that if you clutch is strong enough. Your motor could spin 4000 rpm if it has enough oil to make her spin that hard.

#19 ·
you may not have oil in your intercooler, but you wont know until you dig into it. there was another guy who just rolled his truck and then started it and it ran away on the repair shop- they then totalled it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.