Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DOT and Hotshots

9K views 74 replies 15 participants last post by  johnday 
#1 ·
Maybe some of you guys know the answer about hotshotting.
In another thread, Unexplained Pictures I think it was, there was a strange looking crewcab with a sleeper on it. Any way, someone made the statement that in La, as long as the trailer was disconnected from the pickup, you weren't subject to the DOT rules. Now, since this pickup has DOT numbers on it, isn't he subject to the same rules as us? Complete with CDL, hazmat if needed, safety equipment, etc? I always thought if it was commercial, all those requirements were mandatory.
I challenged the poster about it, but no one seemed to want to say anything, either they didn't know, or didn't want to admit a mistake.
What think you guys?;)

#2 ·
I wanna say if it requires DOT numbers, it is required to abide by all DOT laws. But I'm sure since I'm a newbie to trucking someone else will correct me;)

Have a friend that ownes a moble home repair company and he is required to have dot #'s on both of his pickups (hauling a 22 for enclosed bumper pull contractors trailer) and the driver's are also required to run a log book as well. Unless of course he is staying in state and not traveling more then 100 air miles from home base.

#5 ·
I wanna say if it requires DOT numbers, it is required to abide by all DOT laws. But I'm sure since I'm a newbie to trucking someone else will correct me;)
Ya, who's gonna listen to a FNG, eh?LOL
That's how I look at it.

#3 ·
this site always seemed to have a lot of good information for hot shotting, ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org :: Index

Lots of the guys on that site run pickups with sleepers and no beds. They say to pull the bed and register the truck as a tractor so they can pull 53' trailers and stay under the over length rules. I guess if you keep the bed on the truck they will count it as an additional 8' of length and put you over length in some states. Come to think of it now though I see TONS of Dodge duallies running around with 53' wedges all day long up here in MA.

Also maybe TrailerHauler will chime in since I know he does it pretty regularly, but he has a regular pickup with no sleeper and the bed still on the truck.

#6 ·
this site always seemed to have a lot of good information for hot shotting, ltlhotshot.myfreeforum.org :: Index
Thanks, I went there and asked. Only one guy responded, and he said the rules were the same for the most part.

How about you guys, whenever I was home, I'd take the tractor over for a wash, stop at the supermarket, or even a friends house, and never log it. I was using it as personal transportation. Even at a terminal, I'd do the same thing. Was I wrong all this time?
The guy on the other site thought that was what was meant with having the trailer dropped, on a hotshot.;)

#4 ·
I think alot of it has to deal with how heavy your running. 1 thing I've noticed over the years, is theres alot of confusion on everyones part when it comes to the rules. I've had to explain to a few cops how a certain rule is written in the book.

#7 ·
No.

When unhooked from the trailer it would not require USDOT numbers for intrastate use.

If the GVWR/GVW was 10k or under he wouldn't need them for interstate use either.

Also even if it does require a USDOT number doesn't mean it requires a CDL.

#8 ·
If you are for hire and you have a gvwcr of 26,001lb then you are required to have a dot #, you are also required to carry a valid cdl equalivant to what ever type of vehicle you are operating regardless of weather or not you are an owner opperator. As far as log books go, as long as you opperate within a 100 mile radius of you home terminal your ok, until you exceed a 12 hour day or you cross state lines, you are then required to fill out a log book.

#12 ·
I didnt read thru everyones comments but the place I work for in Illinois has F250s 3 4 and 550s which ALL have DOT #s. Anyone who drives them is required to have a CDL because of those #s and also required to keep a log book. So yea OP I would say that they would be required to comply if they have DOT #s.

#13 ·
I didnt read thru everyones comments but the place I work for in Illinois has F250s 3 4 and 550s which ALL have DOT #s. Anyone who drives them is required to have a CDL because of those #s and also required to keep a log book. So yea OP I would say that they would be required to comply if they have DOT #s.
That is not true.

Or I should say that your company may have required a CDL or they pulled enough trailer to require a CDL but just because they have numbers doesn't mean it requires a CDL.

A half ton with a stout single axle trailer needs numbers but sure the flock don't need a CDL.

#14 ·
In Texas where I live. If you pull a trailer capable of 18,000# or more you have to have a CDL to pull it. and this means anybody. Farm, personal, whatever. now if your truck and trailer reach a combined register of 26,001# you fall under the DOT rules and regulations.

#16 ·
It sure the "flock" is true..

OUR company requires anyone who drives one of the company vehicles to have a CDL and keep a DOT log. It may be because they have those Knapiede cattle looking beds or it may be because the owner of the company is an idiot. I have nooooooooo idea. I was telling the OP my thoughts and coming to a conclusion from what I knew. I've also heard rumors that the state of Illinois is going to require anyone pulling a dual axle trailer to have a CDL too but I havnt looked into it.

#18 ·
I fall into that catagory up here with my service truck. Our company is registered inter-provincially, so it falls under federal jurisdiction. so all of our service trucks are DOT numbered, with CVIP inspection stickers. and all of us in field service have to run DOT log books. we do NOT have to have special drivers liscences though. just the standard class 5. our trucks range from Ford Transit Connect to Chevy 2500 to Ford F350 F450s.

log books suck. when you're a field mechanic.

#19 ·
Anything over 10k is required to have a DOT number unless you are using it to pull a camper for personal use.

Log books are required for any commercial vehicle over 10k if operating outside of a 100 air mile radius.

CDL is required for any vehicle tagged for 26,001 or higher, or any vehicle with air brakes. F-550 has a rating of 33k, but you can take them for less to avoid CDL requirements. Most tow truck companies do this. CDL is also required for any trailer in excess of 10k, regardless of the GCW.

clear as mud?

#21 ·
They only require a CDL if you tag them over 26k or have air brakes. Its a grey area though, I run two 33k GVWR International rollbacks with air brakes tagged at 25900 and have never had an issue with my drivers needing CDLs or air brake endorsements. The law says any air brake truck requires a CDL but i've never had a problem with it or ever heard of anyone having a problem.

I think the main reason for that is that all they are concerned with is making money... if you are overweight its an equipment violation and they fine you out the ass, but the air brake thing would be on the driver and they dont want to take peoples licenses, they just want to fine companies and make money.

One thing you will learn about the DOT is that most of the laws are subjective and selectively enforced. Go down to your local DMV and pick up a CDL study guide, it lays out all of the important laws right in there.

#23 ·
Only problem with that is, every Bubba out there with a twelve pack on his shoulder, thinks he a "Jeanus".:D
A couple years ago, a law was passed that you had to be certified to adjust airbrakes. They figured that if the brakes were out of adjustment, there was more of a problem with the adjusters not working properly. In a way that's good, I don't want a Bubba of any sort working on my truck. But really, it's not rocket science on adjusting airbrakes.
Keep it coming guys, I think I'm going to run down to my Secretary of State and get that CDL study guide they have. It's been awhile since I looked at one of those.
Not trying to flame any hotshots, but it looks like at times you guys can have the best of both worlds, where a guy with a tractor doesn't. I do understand the 26001# rule, and the DoT numbers. ;)

Removable DoT numbers, that would work!!LOL

#25 ·
:whs: One of the other posters said anything over 10k needed #'s? I know you mean in your state, but geez, that's an awful lot of pickups=money, money, money for the state. :(

#32 ·
So.... I have been wondering how legal I really am - and have to good reason to because I know my outfit pushes the limits.

I have a 22K GVWR gooseneck trailer - it weighs right at 7200lbs empty. I'm pulling it with a truck with a GVWR of 9200lbs - it weighs in at about 7400 empty. I primarily use it to haul other trucks for personal use (pulling trucks, drag trucks, parts trucks, etc...) I have some big "NOT FOR HIRE" decals running down the neck of the trailer. I'm totally in the grey area of do I need a CDL in my opinion - but my opinion doesn't matter - what do the laws and regulations say about my situation?

#33 ·

600k on it, If you over 60' in the state of indiana you have to remove the bed, Use a fifth wheel (not a gooseneck) and have your title on your truck changed to read semi truck. Unhooking from the trailer does not remove you from the dot regulations. If you are IFTA you have to pay for every mile you run wheather its for work or going to the walmart for pampers on the weekend.

Travis

#36 ·
I'm likely wrong, but I really don't know. The FMCSA, they set the Federal laws, and states are allowed to be more restrictive or what? In a big truck, 80k+, I'm governed by the FMCSA, and don't worry about what individual states say. Is it because I'm heavy enough that I don't have to worry about it, except for the bridge laws for the most part? :D

#50 ·
No they don't. :doh:

It's a RESTRICTION.

Restrictions

You could receive restrictions on your CDL under the following conditions:

Code 28 Restriction -"CDL not valid for operating vehicles equipped with air brakes." If you do not pass the air brake knowledge test, or if the vehicle you use for the CDL skills tests is not equipped with air brakes, you will be restricted from operating vehicles with air brakes.
SOS - CDL Group Designations and Endorsements

#56 ·
Look, I realize you know a little bit about this stuff, but you don't have to think you know it all, it's ok if you learn something from someone else on :psn:.
Every post I have ever seen of yours you have been telling everyone, nope your wrong but I'm right...

You'll tell me I am wrong so whatever I guess:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.