Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tcase issues need help badly

808 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  speeddemon31176 
#1 ·
My tcase is stuck in 4 low and i'm having a hell of a time getting the bastard out of 4low. Its not a linkage isssue because there is no linkage between the case and the shifter, and i heard a grinding noise when i would come to a stop just came out of nowhere and grinded only twice when i went to stop then it slipped out and i poped it back in 4low to get my ass to class and home and now i've had issues with it going back to normal.

#2 ·
put the truck in reverse, and start backing up, back up down the block and then try to get it out of 4-lo..this is actually pretty common..driving in reverse will loosen some of the "tension" that having everything locked in together creates..if that made any sense.

funny story-i bought a 77 f150 shortbox for 200 bucks when i was 15, got it running (having all the plug wires connected REALLY helps), and discovered it was stuck in 4-lo, like pushing with my foot, wont move locke up STUCK..the scene from "Cars" where mater is driving around the country side like a madman in reverse comes to mind..i had a ball for about 20 minutes in a 15 acre field in reverse the entire time...eventually i remembered why i was driving in reverse this whole time, pushed the t-case lever into 2-hi effortlessly...give it a shot.

#4 ·
but could you move the lever throuolgh out the whole range of motion and it still wouldn't leave 4 low?

#6 ·
no it was stuck and couldnt move at all...when moving your shift lever does it feel normal? or does it move like butter with hardly any resistance?? i dont know what the transfer case lever is attached to under the floorboard of these, trucks, havent gotten that far yet, but it sounds like you popped that shifter out of its home and now its just free-ballin and nothing is actually engaging your transfer case..

btw, im a wisconsin resident my whole life..avoid 4-lo in the winter, due to the cold you are more likely to get the transfer case stuck in 4wd, also being in 4-lo you are more prone to breakage if you start wheelhopping through drifts.. i havent had any issue with my truck in 4-hi and i got street tires..

#5 ·
If you can move the lever and it isn't coming out of 4 lo then you have damage internal to the t-case.

#7 ·
If you have a Borg Warner 1356 t-case then you have two bolts that hold the shifter to the linkage. If you have the 4407 case then the shifter slips into the shifter arm linkage and is secured with a 13mm nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.