Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Lockers

8K views 119 replies 15 participants last post by  powerstroker67 
#1 ·
Hey guys im looking to purchase rear diff lockers for my 08 f350 with 3.73 LS. I am leaning towards the detroit locker but am open to suggestions. Does anyone know the exact style/part number i need? Anbody thats running them how was the install and how are they performing? Im hating this stock LS, dont even know if it ever worked. Just a brief outline of what this truck is used for is daily hwy driving, mudding and going up snow/ice gravel roads.

#3 ·
Get the Detroit true trac. You don't want a full time locker. I'll be getting either a true trac or a ARB air locker for mine when I change mine out. As far as part numbers, stop in at a local 4x4 shop. There's lots of them where you are, pm me and I can send to a guy that knows his stuff and does all the work on my 4x4 rig. Later

#5 ·
There like a ls locker but they actually work. They will lock up completely like a full time locker if a wheel starts to spin but your tires won't chirp on pavement when you turn. Trust me full time locker sucks in winter or slippery roads as both wheels turn the same speed plus you'll eat tires

#8 ·
Haha well good thing they actually work. I was hesitant to buy LS style because of the stock pos. That was one of my concerns of a full locker, dont want it to lock up around turns etc. What about e lockers? The LS style kicks in after it senses a wheel do a full rotation when the other is still? Sometimes you want that rear end to drift

#11 ·
the true trac let me one tire slip about 1/4 of an inch and then it would lock up and stay locked until you let off the throttle. i would deffiently go with a true trac expecially for the diffrence of price from it to an E locker, i think your money would be better spent with the TrueTrac

#15 ·
Tru tracs are the way to go, IMO. I have them and really like how they perform. They will lock up until you let out of it I am sure. Had them spinning up to 80-90mph on the speedo on fast, loose dirt roads. Both tires spinning. Actual speed was 50-60mph. My stock LS sucked worked if you made it but never made a grinding noise. That is it chewing on itself probably.

#16 ·
I have had a Detroit Locker for the last year or so and I am very happy with it. As long as you are nice with the throttle you wont chew up tires. With having one of the worst winters in five or so years I have had plenty of time in the snow and ice. I have had no problems with traction, actuallly the opposite.

I like how quickly the unit locks up. Now for the draw backs, and these will apply to alomost all lockers. Key word is almost. Each has their own quirks.

1. When you put the truck in park it will roll about 1 to 1.5 feet in the downhill direction.

2. Under a boosted launch (4x4) the old limited slip would allow some slip under acceleration. With the locker, I have noticed that since the back is locked any wheel spin will be in the front. The result, torque steer. The first time this happened to me the truck shot over an entire lane. Freaked the crap out of me..

All and all I really like the locker.

#18 ·
It is a Detroit Locker. It will free spin until you add power, then it is fully locked.

#20 ·
Correct. If I were goin off road I would probably do an ARB air locker in the front. I think two lockers, or anything capable of locking uncontrolled, would make on road manners less than desirable.

#21 ·
A front locker would be a pain in the arse if it was anywhere but off road and not driving in a straight line.

#23 ·
They don't lock up unless you get on it, then they will. It acts like a open diff just cruising around. To be honest, I haven't launched in 4hi in a long time. I didn't notice any wheeling couple of weeks ago. Pavement is different I know.

#24 ·
Erik, do you have one in the front too? i have been thinking lately about a tru trac, an wondered how they do in the front as well.

#26 ·
Nope guys I have them front and rear. Traction is the name of the game. :evil

#28 ·
Only used them once off road so far, and it was in wet sand. Worked well having both pull when nailing it up a steep face and loose. Average wheeler, maybe a little over kill. The reason I did it was the gears were being changed, so while it was being dissected might as well......

#29 ·
I wonder how it would affect driving in heavy snow an ice, if I still lived in florida it would be no big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.