Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2001 F350 Power Seat Conversion Write Up

14K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PWRstroke_smoke 
#1 ·
some pics of my power seat conversion in my 2001 f350 XL
Seats are 10 way power leather out of a 2009 F150 Platinum

I custom made the brackets

Wiring was a little complicated on the drivers side because I had to bypass the driver seat module (DSM). If the power option has memory function it must run through the DSM. All of the driver seat power options had memory function except the power lumbar. If the DSM doesnt receive communication from the trucks network it wont allow power to go to any of the power seat motors which is why I bypassed it no network to hook into the dsm.
Bypassing the DSM resulted in the loss of the seats memory functions, but I didnt need it anyways. im sure there is a way to hook it up without the DSM but i havent figured it out yet. So essentially what I ended up doing was wiring them just like the passenger seats, the motors wired straight to the switches and NO DSM box.

The passenger seat is also 10 way power but has no memory function therefore no DSM box. So all i had to do was pull the power and ground wires out of the harness and everything worked just fine.

Both seats are fused at 20 amps

Wiring Diagram (2009 f150 Passenger) 10 way power NO MEMORY

Here is the DSM bypass wiring (DRIVER SIDE)
NOTE:the lumbar is not on here because it had no memory function and was never hooked into the DSM. So the wiring didnt need to be changed it was already wired switch to motor.

Custom bracket Progress pics:
I used 1/4" flat bar and grade 8 1/2" hardware. I also reused some of the existing bolt from the old seats. I used a torch to bend the flat bar.
Each piece of flat bar is 21" long by 3" or 3.5" wode by 1/4" thick
The bent for the floor contour is 4" back from the front of the flat bar

Spacer to level the mounting surface front to rear

I welded the bolts that are used to mount the seat to the backside of the flat bar for easy tightening

So if you have a bench seat there is a hole with a rubber plug in it hidden under the floor mat. The hole has a thick spacer welded on the underside of the cab, It has no threads in it so I tapped it with a 1/2 nc. and used that hole to hold down the flat bar to the floor
Directly behind this hole on the floor there are two factory existing tapped holes where Originally the seat belt buckle and center seat lap belt were mounted to the floor separately. I used the hole closest to the driver door to hold the flat bar to the floor and I used the other hole to mount the seat belt buckle and the center seat belt strap together instead of separate like it originally was.

This second factory threaded hole is for the driver seat belt buckle and center lap belt to be mounted to the floor.

Passenger side was pretty much the same as the driver when it cam to the brackets holes in the floor are in the same spots also. The front left hole on the passenger side has a plug in it also that must be removed and the hole has to be tapped 1/2" NC just like the driver side.

I am on the hunt for a good used center console or jump seat to finish up the conversion.

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
Thank you for putting this together. I am putting 2011 10 ways in my '08 XL, passenger seat was fine (as you say), but the DSM deal had me guessing. The bypass diagram is great, wheere do you splice in the power and ground? same as passenger?

Thanks again, really helpful.

#7 ·
See post #4 in this thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.