Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Gear Noise?

877 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  urbanwheeler 
#1 ·
I pulled the open diff out of the rear of my truck and threw a LS in over the weekend.
The LS was in the truck from the factory but when I got the truck It needed a rearend housing so I just got a junk yard rearend and swapped it in, and tossed the LS and ring and pinion on a shelf.
After getting stuck the otherday, I decided it was time for a LS swap. I decided to just try and swap the carrier and ring gear (same gears as open diff) and when i checked the clearance the lash was good. Now ive got a Whine at about 40 MPH that Sounds exactly like a tire whine. Could this be from running a ring and pinion that came from different used gear sets? Ive done this kind of thing in mud trucks and trail rigs but never on a daily driver.
Should I just throw the other pinion in? Or if is it a posibility that this is due to different wear pattern on the gears? If so will it work itself out?

Thanks
Jim

#2 ·
gear sets are made as a matched set, you should never run a mismatched ring and pinion gear. It's not going to last long:doh:

#3 ·
I wouldve transferred the other ring gear to the LS carrier. Not to say that is 100% your problem though.

#5 ·
yeah, NEVER run mis-matched gear sets. When setting up used gears you need to get as close to the pattern on the gears as possible. did you use a dial indicator to check backlash? ford rearends need more backlash than others. i believe the 10.5/10.25 needs .011-.016, a used set will have a little more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.