Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

FYI: Mass. company making diesel with sun, water, CO2

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  neverkickn 
#1 ·
#2 ·
that sure would be nice if they can make it happen. Kill the electric car AGAIN!

If this works just about everyone could have their own personal fuel production facility on their roof, instead of solar panels for electricity have some of these for fueling the trucks/cars as well as home heating oil. Sounds like it would still take some processing after they collect it but sure would be cool.

#4 ·
yup only about a 50 minute ride north. Not really my place to visit though lol. City life and probably the biggest liberal stronghold there is in MA

Hopefully they will get all the bugs worked out and getting it working at least on a semi reasonable scale.

#7 ·
hahahaha You must be talking about HAvard? I'm originaly from the North End of Boston and Chelsea. My father was a Goomba running around with the wise guys. moved to central Fl. in 72 when I was 11. Pretty much a southern boy now, living in Northeast Ga. nears Athens another Liberal stronghold. College towns?

#6 ·
This new process doesnt require the biomass to be harvested and disposed of so the production cost should be significantly less. The bacteria they use is said to produce the hydrocarbons and continue to live to produce more.

I had a reeftank full of cyanobacteria last week. It is kinda cool to think that a single cell organism has the ability to produce the raw materials necessary to make fuel and continue to live only to do it again.

Please dont be a fairy tale!

#11 ·
It's funny when fuel prices shot through the roof a couple of years ago, how many people were inventing a better mouse trap and now you don't hear anything in the news about it.
Plan and simple we need to hold our representatives (house and congress) accountable.
Remember, the whaling oil industry didn't go out of business due to lack of whales. They priced them selves out of business and then someone struck oil in PA.

#16 ·
I really don't think that there is any way to debate that electric has many many advantages over internal combustion with two exceptions. There is not a batter on the planet "yet" that has the energy density that fossil fuel has, and second, refilling is nearly impossible at the same rate as FF.

#17 ·
I agree. Although I had invisioned the truck plugged in while I'm sleeping at night.

I just watched some videos of a car called the "Tesla" that runs 0-60 in 3.7 seconds and tops out at 125mph on a 288hp brushless electric motor.

Takes 3.5 hours to recharge from completely emptied Li-ion cells and has a range of 245 miles.

I just need that motor's big brother in front of a 4R100 with a few more of those Li-ion packs under the bed and I'm good to go.

#18 ·
Surely with the additional engine compartment room one could cram in a lp powered generator to charge the batts as you drive. It would come in handy on long trips.

For that matter, I wonder if generator could be attached to the motor shaft so that some power could be replenished as the motor was turning.

#19 ·
All you would be doing with the generator would be using an extremely expensive transmission (brushless electric motor and li-on packs) to connect the generator to the drive wheels.

And the electric motor could be used to regenerate the batteries on decel.

#21 ·
My dyno operator showed me that years ago, and I had forgotten about it.

That dude is AWESOME, lol.

And with an appropriate motor and packs for a pickup, you could be doing rolling burnouts at 50mph no prob.

I would still run a transmission though. Banging gears is not only fun, but no less important for power transmission. Sometimes the electric guys forget that while the engine might be making the same torque right at and off of 0rpm, it's not making the POWER..... and a lower gear from a transmission for the launch would place far more torque to the WHEELS, assuming they could be made to hook it....

#23 ·
Back to the organisms. I would love for this to happen, but I beg to ask what would happen upon the eventual escape into the wild? Diesel everywhere? I drive Diesel for it's economy (DPF/DOC deleted) reliability, and for towing. The sound doesn't hurt either. Needless to say I am a tinkerer and Diesel(especially as of late) are the perfect "fix" for me. Electricity has it's merits, if you chose to use that. I do not want to be told that I must or that I am a horrible person fro not. As it stands right now and for years to come, most of that electricity the "greenaics" purvey as green is produced by burning dead dinosaurs. I have no problem with that process, but please remove the high horse from underneath which you set and realize the ignorance that your high nose prevents you from seeing when speaking. Not directed at anyone on here, but I am sick of the sanctimonious garbage spewed at me for hauling a heavy camper with 5 people, 2 dogs, and a half chord of oak getting 14 MPG (after DPF /doc delete, CAI, and Spartan) to a camp ground to raise my children the way generations past did, outdoors and active with other people. Not locked up playing video games all day. To borrow from CSX, if you calculate the weight and people moved per mile a gallon, I am much "greener" than that single occupied SMART car(running on high test) or Hybrid. Sorry about the diarrhea of the keyboard :blah:

Impressive Dragster btw :eek:

#24 ·
Back to the organisms. I would love for this to happen, but I beg to ask what would happen upon the eventual escape into the wild? Diesel everywhere? I drive Diesel for it's economy (DPF/DOC deleted) reliability, and for towing. The sound doesn't hurt either. Needless to say I am a tinkerer and Diesel(especially as of late) are the perfect "fix" for me. Electricity has it's merits, if you chose to use that. I do not want to be told that I must or that I am a horrible person fro not. As it stands right now and for years to come, most of that electricity the "greenaics" purvey as green is produced by burning dead dinosaurs. I have no problem with that process, but please remove the high horse from underneath which you set and realize the ignorance that your high nose prevents you from seeing when speaking. Not directed at anyone on here, but I am sick of the sanctimonious garbage spewed at me for hauling a heavy camper with 5 people, 2 dogs, and a half chord of oak getting 14 MPG (after DPF /doc delete, CAI, and Spartan) to a camp ground to raise my children the way generations past did, outdoors and active with other people. Not locked up playing video games all day. To borrow from CSX, if you calculate the weight and people moved per mile a gallon, I am much "greener" than that single occupied SMART car(running on high test) or Hybrid. Sorry about the diarrhea of the keyboard :blah:

Impressive Dragster btw :eek:
The bacteria used already exists in the wild. They are using cyanobacteria. It is kinda like algea. The bacteria doesnt produce pure diesel either so no there would not be diesel making zombie bacteria inundating our streams and reservoirs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.