Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

The New SS Class

2K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  jimdawg185 
#1 ·
What is your opinion now that the first race was run in FL. I am contemplating building the Ex for this and NHRDA SS. The suspension will have to change and the Twins will have to go for a custom built 2.6 charger. But not much else will change.

#3 ·
Yeah, that is an issue with a school bus. But you will be amazed how much stuff you can cut out and still have a functioning truck. And the dual coil over 4 links are saving me a lot of weight already. I am looking into t6 aluminum hubs that save nearly 40lbs per corner and a bunch of other really sweet stuff as well. The place that I am moving my shop to is literally next door to Bullseye power as well. I have had a relationship with their closest customers for a very long time, will be talking to them on Monday.

Any one need a gt45r?????

#4 ·
i real don't like the idea of sled pulling rules in drag racing, even in the 2.6 class, the guy with the most money wins, at least the other classes we can spray the hell out of the trucks to compete

#5 ·
I kinda dissagree shawn the dude that won this weekend didnt really have that much in it, no more than normal. And im pretty sure his charger didnt cost 5k like some of the other trucks running.

I like the idea, i think its cool to see, however it does leave us ford guys farther and farther behind.

#6 ·
yes but he was running 10.8's consistant, and won with a 11.0, no water, no injectables, if your truck doesn't run 11.0 consistant you won't be competitive in the class, cause there will be some of those trucks running mid to low 10's, and i'm sorry but as of right now no ford will compete with a single 66, now if this class gets real popular prupose built trucks might compete, however we will have way more money in our trucks to compete

#9 ·
Shawn, I just got back from some of the best racing I've seen in a long time. My 6.0 entry didn't quite get finished for this one, but Gainesville NHRDA is in a couple of week's. These guys that did race were on a very fast learning curve on the chargers. First round was billowing smoke, hard to light and kind of disappointing! Second round a few of the guys made some strides in learning to leave the line with a 2.6 charger. About the third round of qualifiying all of a sudden everybody had learned how to get off the line. Proof in the pudding was Michael Pliska in Jim Layden's 6000 + lbs Dodge CR with the left front tire in the air!! The winner (Aron Nick) didn't have the money on his own to put his daily driver in the event. I only saw one purpose built truck for this class that was putting down some serious times. I think the Suncoast entry will go on to the Pro Street class in the near future. Most of what I saw where DD type trucks. I will make up my mind at Gainesville if a Ford can or cannot compete in the 2.6 class. I'm really thinking I can, and the guy with the 6.4 from Canada wasn't all that far from being really competitive. I wish you would hold off judging an entire class before we can see what kind of potential is there. The main idea for this type of class is to get more beginners in it. I think that the 6.0's and 6.4's and even the 6.7's can and will be competitive. I saw no smoke and mirrors here in Florida, just a new challenge. So give it a little time my friend an lets see what happens. If I'm wrong, I'm man enough to tell you. Lets just don't kill it until it needs killing:D Gary

#11 ·
It was a blast Shawn and I don't mean to single you out:doh: I'm a Ford guy too and I really can't wait to see what Doug and I can wring out of my 6.0. I'm thinking this will be the only sled pulling turbo class that we are gonna see. The 2.6 charger seem's to have hit it right on the head, so I'm more that likely going to leave well enough alone. I'm just not one to set back and say it can't be done. Time will tell, cause I'm not quitting just yet. Gary

#14 ·
Although I do not really like the 2.6 rule, that is the only large fault I can see. I personally would rather see a restricting plate, but that is just my opinion. With the DT motor I will spend quite a bit less money making 1000hp than I would going for broke. It will be an expensive charger, but everything else will be much cheaper, at least in my case.

I appreciate the honest input!

#15 ·
Whats expensive for a charger? Bullseye built a 2.6 charger for SS at right around $1500.

Ellerton doesn't like the idea of the SS class and that's fine. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. However, Instead of worrying about it, focus your efforts on getting your PSN 6.0l back together and down to Arizona and go racing. Let the guys who are pumped for SS do their thing. In the end its all about promoting the sport for all of us and this is a great way to make that happen.

#16 ·
I have not talked to my guy at BP yet about that charger, I currently have a gt45r that I was quoted a bazzilion dollars to have a cover and wheel made for. So I did not know the price. If that is the case, then my pump will have that title.

I am getting a little pumped about it, don't get me wrong I'm just sucking in the expertise that is available on this site.

And by the way, that part in Space Balls is by far the funniest thing I have ever seen. Every time I see your avatar I laugh out loud.

#17 ·
Bullseye built me a turbo, and shipped it on a days notice. With the money others were charging.........I could have bought 3 yes three or tress Bullseye turbo's. I was so happy, when they came up and asked if I would try a new wheel they had thrown together, I didn't mind trying it. Those guys were jumping up and down every time I made a pass. Turbo technology is growing at a very rapid rate and I have a feeling of a possible dip down to a mid 10sec pass on a turbo that costs the everyday guy around $2k. That's not a bad price IMO

#19 ·
Just like in sled pulling its not all about the money, yes money helps but its mostly about putting the power to the ground and knowing how to drive.

There are still all of the other classes to spray whatever you want, its nice to have one class that will keep everything pretty close so there will be some awesome races.

And why does any class have to be made to fit a certain make of truck? Just because a Ford isnt fast enough to compete doesnt mean the class has to change. I think Ford will find a way to compete anyway, maby not dominate but 11.0 is not out of the question at all for a 6.4 if they can get the wieght down.

#23 ·
I know I wish I had made it down - this turned out to be an awesome race - with everyone being fairly close and competitive right down until the end. Everyone should remember a 2.6" sled pulling turbo isn't exactly your off the shelf 66m. I have an S400 based turbo being built right now for a 2.6 truck in Central Ohio - 75mm billet wheel - clipped just enough to meet the protrusion rule and toss in a couple other little unique tricks and it should move some air...

#24 ·
yeah they are far from off the shelf 66s i would be willing to bet that most of them are in the 76mm range to start with, but i dont know much after that about making it flow more, i do know that exducer size is pretty important though

#27 ·
They are great guys. Bill is who I talked to and he is super excited about your success! If you couldn't tell :) its always nice to deal with people like that. I grew up near their and all my high hp gm buddies run their stuff. I have been thinking of switching from Garret for a while and I think its time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.