Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tuning and Warranty Issues

547 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jimdawg185 
#1 ·
I have heard warranty horror stories blamed on tuning.
Has anyone ever had this happen to them.
How does the Magnuson-moss act enforce this, or is it useless.

#2 ·
The Magnuson-moss act doesn't apply to power enhansment items such as a tuner that pushes a engine above what the factory designed. As far as owners having problems with their warranties do a search on "denied warranty" and you should have quite a bit of reading.

This is where the saying of "If you want to play, you'll have to pay" came from

#4 ·
Some guys were covered, some were not.

as mentioned before...DO THE SEARCH and read away. There is hours of reading on the subject that will allow you to decide whether or not to mod if your still under warrenty.

#5 ·
This is not a query about anything for me, I am building an information stack for a discourse with an out of country tuning company based in Italy. They seem to have some miss information about this law. It seems that they believe because only the ecu has been modified that the warranty only can be terminated on the ecu and not any of the other parts that may have been effected. That seems to be what their lawyers have told them. I personally believe if you want to play you have to be willing to pay. I could care less about warranty. If I want a warranty I will not touch a damn thing under the hood ie our Jetta TDi is screaming for mods, but is not getting any until VW is out of the picture. But that is me, I also have customers that I have to be straight with. If I am tuning a $250,000 458 Italia I will absolutely be honest about this first. I guess I am building a case history of sorts as well.

My query is about the law itself. I have read the threads and not seen this act of the House brought up before with only one exception on Compd.

#6 ·
The Magnuson-Moss act as it relates to warranty denial can be summed up in one sentence:

If the aftermarket part has been proven to be the cause of the failure or is directly related to the failure, then sorry, you're out of luck.

A dealership or approved repair facility CANNOT deny you warranty work if you installed a remote-start system and the trunk lid support strut quit working as it is a completely unrelated part failure. However, if your starter burned up because the remote starter failed to disengage the thing, then that's something that would be pointless to try to get covered.

Working in a dealership for the better part of my adult life, I fought tooth and nail with my service writers, service managers, and customers (if it came to that) about aftermarket products on their cars and what they expected to be covered. In the aforementioned case, why should I be punished on my paycheck because some stupid person is too lazy to walk outside and start their car? Granted, a starter is very low on the monetary pay scale as far as warranty work goes when it comes to being replaced on most cars. The thing that I never understood is why the dealership was willing to screw themselves over on labor as well......I'm out to make a paycheck to support my family; the dealership is there to turn a profit.

Replacing an engine under warranty time usually only pays half to MAYBE two-thirds of customer pay time. Been there, done that when I shouldn't have as well.

Oh well.

#7 ·
That is what I thought. Thanks brother.

I don't think I am going to argue the issue (my Italian isn't good enough to do that) but at least I can be a little better prepared for the future.

One of the reasons I stopped being a manufactures rep was because of this garbage. At least I can see it coming this time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.