Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How Much interest in a Stand Alone ECU for the 6.4 and 6.7 and 5.9 Cummins

14K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  jimdawg185 
#1 ·
I have been researching some things and have access to some really cool stuff for some of the other diesels in the world, ie BMW, Merc, Audi(VW) I have been told that not only can this happen, the systems that I am looking at can be used on any system that currently uses Bosch common rail from 4 bangers to 12.

Just wondering what kind of interest because I have heard some with the 6.4 envying EFI Live.

Jim K.

#3 ·
if there was ever a way to get that done and use efi live i would buy it over any other tuner. I have a few duraturd buddys who write their own tunes on efi and i think it is amazing. Im sure alot of the people on here would agree with me also.

#7 ·
I remember the hairs standing up on the back of my neck when I first read about the Zeus. I am kind of a nerd and love this stuff.

And you are 100% correct, the future of horsepower is just as much in the electronics as much as it is in the rotating assembly.

#6 ·
It is like the MS 15 but hopefully at a much much lower price. Not too many spend that much on their entire motor let alone just the ecu. However, if funds were not an issue, that is by far the best ecu available.

I am building a relationship with a software/hardware company that deals in European diesel and gasser performance. I am looking at being a tuner for them for VW, BMW, Merc, and 15 more manufactures here in the states. I am metering interest in this to spark dialogue to convince them that it is worth their while to bring these over here. The system works very very well, I am beyond impressed. Many touring cars use it, including some very famous ones.

It would be live tunable, however I have not seen the software yet. As soon as I do I will provide more information.

My guess is that this is a ways off no matter how it works out. Because there will need to be beta testing for the powerplants that we decide to go with.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

#8 ·
The software is pretty slick - assuming its the same stuff running around on the pulling trucks with the Bosch stand alone. There have been a few guys running that setup in this part of the country in the 2.6 class - but then again they spend a couple more dollars than $15K on thier engines - LOL

#15 ·
That is really my question then. I know people like to just complain about EFI live being so awesome (don't get me wrong, it's pretty bad ace) but is it like Bean stated, is the stand alone the only way for the true competitor. Does the complexity of the eec IV V, and VI give an advantage or can it be a detriment? does something like the Zeus bring more to the table(s) (pun intended).

I know that I will more than likely be using this for some TDi BMW and Merc stuff because the MS15 is the only other option. But the above question about the Ford powertrain is pertinent to some of the things I am trying to accomplish parallel to my other exploits. It may be that I can piggyback the Ford stuff on the Euro stuff. Just looking to carve a niche for myself instead of cannibalizing the existing market.

#14 ·
This is interesting, but I don't know dick about any of it. I know EFI live is the way to go for the others. If it is better than what currently is offered I am :bowfast:

#16 ·
I guy near where i live is testing a stand alone ecu on his common rail cummins. I believe he'es running the NIRA. I think he hit 5th in this video...

I beleive the write up in one of the latest Diesel Powers on a 2008 Ford Cummins that Scheid built is using the Stand Alone Ecu too.

2008 Ford F-350: Cutting-Edge Common-Rail - Diesel Power Magazine

#17 ·
I guy near where i live is testing a stand alone ecu on his common rail cummins. I believe he'es running the NIRA. I think he hit 5th in this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvNcE6I7asQ

I beleive the write up in one of the latest Diesel Powers on a 2008 Ford Cummins that Scheid built is using the Stand Alone Ecu too.
The one in DP is the MS 15 Bosch I believe. That is a huge step for the CR Cummin's guys. That is what makes me take the same tact as Bean with this.

#18 ·
Yeah that is what it says in the read up. Seen the truck run at Scheid Extravaganza and it looked like they were still tweaking some things but it did run strong.

#19 ·
More options is always good. Being complex is not a good option though, we dont need complexity for performance, you only need that stuff for OEM style tuning where it has to perform and meet EPA standard under ALL conditions. All you really need is a few basic maps to work with in a performance engine. EFI is great to get control of the maps you have access to but it is still using a stock ecm and has far too many maps in it as I am sure the 6.4 does as well. Break that down into Pulse width, timing, rail pressure, rpms, fuel desired, throttle percantge and a couple other basics and you just made everything easy to tune and nothing gets in the way of what you programmed.

#20 ·
Stand alone makes sense for an all out Cummins race truck, since there is currently no custom tuning. If a company would unlock the processor and open up the parameters, I bet you'd have more control than you need with the factory computer.

As far as the Ford trucks, there is 100% complete custom control already available with aftermarket software. I don't think you could add anything outside of the factory tuning to make more power or better control. The later can processors have amazing capability. It's the reason why we have 1400+rwhp daily driver gas and diesel vehicles today and we didn't 5 years ago. Big Stuff and DFI were the ticket for race vehicles a few years ago. Easy tuning, speed density, no MAF to worry about. Today, the knowledge and control is 10x what it used to be.

I use EFI Live on the Duramax and it's definitely one of the best GM Package available. However, the Ford custom tuning has way more parameters than GM. EFI Live has a lot of work to do in the area of transmission control. Engine is very, very close between Ford and GM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.