Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Should I move up to 37s?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  wetpavement 
#1 ·
I have a set of 37s sitting in my garage I was waiting to put on in the spring. However, with the way fuel prices have been going up and what people are speculating them to be this summer I'm starting to get a little leery about putting a bigger tire on my truck and getting less MPG. I have 315s and a leveling kit on my truck now, which looks nice, but I think the 37s with a 6" lift would look a lot nicer. I'm kind of torn on what I should do here. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any ideas how much MPGs I would lose? I'm thinking probably about 2 mpg less.

#8 ·
What made you go back to the 33s? I'm surprised there wasn't that much difference in MPGs.

Looks like most people are in favor of the 37s. My driving is more city than highway. From what I'm hearing maybe the mpg loss would be that bad.

I would rather not do cutouts just in case I decided to go back to 35s.

#6 ·
bigger is always better!! I ran 37's then 40's with 3:73's for years it did ok. I got a DPS chip to help out a little & with shifting.

#7 ·
You could always keep the level kit and do cutouts to run the 37's. Then your truck wouldn't be up in the air so high catching extra wind causing excess drag.
Where do you mostly drive, city or hwy? Either way, I'd run the 37's, but with me I noticed a slight drop (probably @ 1mpg) for city but gained on highway just a touch keeping the rpms at or below 2k.

#9 ·
Well here's a problem. I mounted the 37s on my truck and and jacked the truck up to see if I'll have enough clearance with the new lift. It turns out that the tire is real close to the inner fender only about a 1/4" clearance. I think this will be a problem when the suspension compresses. Is there a way to pull the inner fender out of the way to make some more room? Here's a pic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.