Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1997 F-250 CCSB 4x4?

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  speeddemon31176 
#1 ·
Getting out of the 04 Dually... Just too much truck and don't tow anymore. There is a fairly clean 97 250 with a 7.3 in town for sale ($8800) but don't know too much about them...
Hoping the experts could fill me in here :bowfast:
What are the positives and negatives of this year truck and 7.3? Were there any problems with the 97s? How is the power and mileage going to compare with the 6.0l?
Thanks guys!

#2 ·
stock to stock there is a huge power difference, mostly acceleration, the 7.3L will pull anything you want it to, just not as fast. Other than cps issues the 7.3L just runs and runs. The ride is bad compared to what you have now, that year of the 7.3L is very strong with forged rods. you will probably get better fuel economy out of the 7.3L. If you don't mind going down on power and backwards on creature comforts it's a good move.

#3 ·
I just bought a CCSB F250 and I am impressed at how well it rides. And going by the previous owners fuel log, it gets 19mpg.

Look for rotted radiator support at the mounts and on the bottom, Rusty wheel wells are another common item.

As for power. Well the 6.0 will out run and out tow a 7.3 stock for stock. Hell even a chipped, intake and exhaust on a 7.3 will have a hard time keeping up w a stock 6.0 But the reliability of a 7.3 cant be beat

#7 ·
Well, looked at the truck today and...... It is immaculate! Seriously, it looks like a brand new truck both inside and out. It was owned by a city mechanic here in Colorado Springs and you can tell he took a lot of pride in it. It has 185,000 on it but not one scratch or ding.
The lot is asking $8777 for it so it will be around $9500 out the door..... What do you think about the asking price? Sounds good to me but I've never looked at the obs trucks before....

#8 ·
If it is that nice inside and out and it purrs like a kitten then I would offer them 8k and see what they say. The ccsb's are rare-ish so if it is in that kind of shape I would jump on it. It is ultimately up to you though.

#10 ·
I have a 97 and love it. Sig has my upgrades and I am very happy with what I have. I get decent mileage, pull anything and everything I want on almost a daily basis (use it to work), and get lots of compliments. Though mine admittedly has really been a stubborn bitch to get the bugs worked out of since buying it used, it's the exception and now I've got a great truck. Even with my troubles, it doesn't compare with what my bro-in-law has been through on his 6.0. You'll like it and it sounds like a decent price if its really that nice. Not a bargain but not bad either.

#11 ·
:popcorn:

#12 ·
Drove the truck today... Drives nice, seems to have good power and acceleration. Some rattles but nothing major. The brake peddle is soft? Figure easy fix?
Opened the hood and there's a BIG square sticker on the right valve cover that says NaviStar remanufactured motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a big deal or bad thing? Also has a small oil leak on the right valve cover next to the oil dipstick.

Another question. Can the 04 and new seats and center consoles be retrofitted to fit in the truck.
Thanks for all the help!

#13 ·
Remanufactured factory engine is a good thing. That means you have an engine with even fewer miles than the truck has. Check the valve cover bolts on that valve cover. You can retrofit the seats but you will have to remove the seat plate and drill new holes through the floor. I would see if someone can run an oasis report for you from your vin and that will tell you when the engine was replaced along with any other dealer service history. I would venture since it is a navistar reman that it was done at the dealer.

#16 ·
Yeah that's true. That's why I suggested the oasis.

To the OP. As far as a soft pedal goes you could just need to bleed the brakes. Vacuum bleed them. This would be a good opportunity to flush the fluid.

#15 ·
Sounds like a nice truck. Especially if the engine is just coming off and overhaul. I'd be all over it. The truck sounds like it could use a brake job, since my pedal is high and tight.
And SD seats arent hard to retrofit at all. A little bending and drilling, and I had my seats in my OBS bronco. I even wired them up. A really nice upgrade for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.