Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2000 powersteering gear box rebuild?

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TxFireman1972 
#1 ·
So I noticed last night that my power steering gear box is leaking.....here's the thing, as soon as my buddy and I replace his radius arm lift we are putting an 05 axle under my truck, meaning I have to change the gearbox anyway....so for right now I want the cheapest fix to get me by for a few weeks until this happens. Has anyone here rebuilt their gearbox? Is there a writeup somewhere? And yes I used the search button to try to find it first LOL. If the rebuild is cheap I'll probably do this on Monday before Rudys.

Thanks in advance

Chad

#2 ·
cheapest method is just to replace the seal. get them through napa or who ever you use.

remove pitman arm, remove dust seal, remove snap ring, place drain pan under box, turn on truck and turn steering to lock, bounce of lock once or twice to pop seal, shut off truck, use small screwdriver or pick and pull out seal, tap in new seal, snap ring, dust seal, and pitman arm. done in about 15 minutes, cost under $30 with fluid

#3 ·
That's EXACTLY what I needed! Thanks big red. I can tell mine is leaking right near the pitman arm.....I think, is that the most common to go out on these when they're lifted? Also my steering wheel maybe an 1/8-1/4 turn before getting any movement and the rest of my steering is new....think this seal is my problem?.....oh and yes my pitman arm is tight right now. What fluid do you recommend refilling with and how much?

Thanks again

Chad

#4 ·
The free play in your wheel is from excessive lash in the sector shaft. You will need to adjust that in order to remove the play in the wheel. The seal is not the cause of the play but the seal could have been damaged by it if the sector shaft is moving side to side under load.

#5 ·
and how do I adjust the lash in the sector shaft? At that point should I just replace the box even though I am putting an 05 box on it soon? Want to fix this ASAP!

Chad

#7 ·
You jack up the front end so that the front tires are off the ground. You need a boxed end wrench to loosen the jamb nut on the adjusting screw(forget size). You will also need a 5/16 or 8mm allen socket and a long extension. You center the steering wheel(wheels straight ahead), loosen the jamb nut several turns, then turn the adjusting screw clockwise until you feel tension. Then back it off about 1/8-1/4 turn and tighten the jamb nut. Then take it for a ride and see if the wheel returns to center on its own. If it does your good to go. If it doesn't jack it back up and loosen the jamb nut and back the adjusting screw off another 1/8 turn, retighten jamb nut and take it for another drive. When you get it adjusted so that there is no to minimal play(almost impossible to get it all out) and the wheel re-centers on its own after making a turn you are done.

#8 ·
If you are interested in replacing it, you should give these guys a call:

Red-Head Steering Gears, Seattle WA - Red-Head Steering Gears Home

I spoke with Harvey there, he told me:

"This is an upgraded gear box, we custom fit the worm and piston assembly with oversize balls according to need. We have 5 oversizes, the manufacturer just uses standard decimal balls, as does everyone else who rebuilds these. However, if the lash is not taken up between these components it will never drive like it should. cost would be $366 exchange."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.