Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How many miles on your 7.3L PSD

91K views 327 replies 251 participants last post by  Walter 
#1 ·
Miles, had any big problems with them?

#2 ·
There is a guy on here with 330k and doing fine i think. I just saw that in his sig. Not sure who it was. '99 stroker has 300k on his and no major problems. Only necessary work it has had is glow plugs, uppipes, a t-case, and basic maintenance. He put injectors in it that had less miles on them but it wasn't necessary. Im sure he will chime in and if i missed anything he will add it. His truck was also used for hauling hottubs between LA and colorado for 200k i believe then the next owner used it as a basic work truck, not much hauling or much hard work, then '99 stroker bought it who drives it like its the 10th time he's stolen it and it keeps running with a superduperchip on it and runs darn good! His compression was just a hair lower than mine which has 146k on it

These 7.3's will go and go and go and go

#3 ·
295,xxx on the truck and t-case.
2,000 on the motor and ZF5

#5 ·
My T-Case had to be replaced because the old one decided to eat itself, but its really not to bad or expensive to do. It was used as stroker2 said for 100k not 200k to tow a ~30' goose neck loaded with tubs from LA back here which is about a 2k mile round trip as well as a work truck for service calls and stuff. Uppies are the biggest PIA procedure I've had to do on the thing, just kicks my ass somehow, not sure I'l ever do that cluster again

#8 ·
well tighten the bolts the first time and u wouldn't have to do it twice!!

#6 ·
I have 4 F450 stake body work trucks ranging from 96,E99,99.5,2000 all with 250k miles. The usual high mileage maintenance has been done. Glow plugs, injectors, oil cooler, hpop.

#11 ·
I just turned 180k miles and had a hell of alot of problems ( due to poor maintenance ).

#12 ·
256,xxx no probs just lately hard starting when cold chipped since 110,xxx tows 37 ft 5er assorted trailers and farm equip. plus is a DD. and its just 1 of 3 7.3s I have

#14 ·
250k....hubs were junk from day one...lifted and running BIG(no smaller than 38 for 230k) tires the whole time. Ive had nothing done other than some cosmetic electrical crap while it was under warranty. Stock trans,stock tcase,stock gears(ha ha). Had the same crappy banks tune on it since almost new. Some sensors and other little crap gone wrong thanks to the leaky windshield and electrical gremlins that come with it.

My maintenance log is solid and has no gaps in it which helps. My 03 which was identical had TONS of problems from 0-85k miles..at which point I sold the sorry sob. They arent all the same, but most are similar.

#15 ·
182,000 on mine,modded when i bought it with a superchips:doh:replaced with custom chip at 165000.Replaced water pump,both alternators,gpr,starter solenoid,wheel bearing(twice due to bad axle shaft).

#17 ·
180K on one and 170K the other. Replaced water pumps on both engines but have never had the valve covers off of either engine. Original glow plugs, injectors, clutch, and even u-joints on my 2000 PSD at 180K miles. Wife's truck at 170K has the original unmodified 4R100 tranny with never an issue.

We are looking at replacing parts preemptively in the near future but all is well for now. Both trucks have been chipped for well over 100K miles each.

#19 ·
So far looks like I have everyone beat my big black truck has 349,xxx on the motor. Tranny has been replaced a few times though.

#21 ·
My truck has 146,500 on it, had it since 95K. Since then, I've fixed/replaced:

Ball joints (all)
Wheel bearings (both)
4x4 Hubs (Upgraded to Warn)
Fuel bowl heater blew (took 2 days to figure out)
Brakes all around
Door locks burned out
Power window burned out
Leaky EBPV
Leaky oil cooler
Rusty oil pan
Bed sides rusted out
Cab corners are rusting out
Metal fuel line rusted and leaked

And I'm sure I'm missing lots of stuff. I have a whole file full of receipts.

#24 ·
I only have 240k on my truck but so far had to do the fallowing…
2 sets of batteries
GP’s, 2 GPR’s ( the first was an OEM unit, the other Stancore)
AC blower motor
water pump
belt tensioner
belts, hoses
coolant degas bottle
unit bearings
rotors and calipers
ball joints
sway bar bushings and ends
trac bar bushings
and the limited slip.

#25 ·
We have a fleet, and at least 4 of them in my shop have well over 500k. One has 940plus but it is really tired and is no longer in day to day use.

My truck has 160k and runs like a champ with no issues other than it has no suspension in it right now and is soon to be the home of a fresh dt360.

#26 ·
We have a fleet, and at least 4 of them in my shop have well over 500k. One has 940plus but it is really tired and is no longer in day to day use.

My truck has 160k and runs like a champ with no issues other than it has no suspension in it right now and is soon to be the home of a fresh dt360.
My trucks about broken in @ 145k compared to that number.

#27 ·
318K 2000 CC 350 4X4

2 waterpumps

2 HP powersteering lines (I now carry a spare).

ball joints once

all u joints on front drive shaft and inner axle.

vehicle speed sensor, and 1 front ABS sensor.

brakes/rotors thrice

fuel bowl heater shorted

EBPS and tube once

1 CPS

sway bar bushings/ endlinks

spring tip isolators

batterys once

AC blower motor

caliper slide pins, froze on 1 wheel, replace them all.

alternator twice ( I now carry a spare, one quit all on it's own the second I fried changing a power steering line on the side of the road. Shorted the drivers side battery to ground for a second and fried the rectifier)

Complete AC rebuild at 260K....(compressor bearing failed so I replaced the condenser, compressor, accumulator all lines etc just to be safe, there was a lot of debris in the system).

*tranny at 220K ( Clutches/pump where fine...the EX liked to go from reverse to drive without letting the tranny engage and stripped the clutch drum input splines)

The only failures that stranded me where the tranny(stranded the EX not me) and one alternator. I saw the batter light flicker a few days before the first alternator went and ignored it because it went out....2 days later 80 miles from the nearest town in a raging snow storm with no cell service it quit for good. I made it 20 miles closer to town before the batteries died and managed to get a call out for rescue.

Everything else is original, valve covers have never been off. The turbo looks great. Up pipes are just starting to leak a little but I haven't lost any boost so that can wait till spring.

Still runs like a top, pulled my 30 foot 12K 5th wheel ~600 miles weekend before last without missing a beat. I wouldn't hesitate to go coast to coast in it right now.

#28 ·
I bought My 2002 F350 CCLB dually in 2009 with 34,000 miles on it. The first year I put around 6,000 miles on it. Since Feb. 2010 we've put 200,000 miles on it driving accross country. Mods have been AFE, 4" exhaust and Rotella T3 oil. We had a break down last summer, 2 injectors and HPOP. Mechanic thought the seals dried out with not much use the first seven years. Altenator was replaced and a new heater core. Hope to get a couple million out of it. Need to replace ball joints soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.