Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

got my orders!

1K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  TANK'S 250 
#1 ·
Alaska here we come! Kodiak to be more specific. I'm going to the USCGC Spar, a seagoing buoy tender. Wife will be in the clinic. Gonna be an interesting move with a 1 mone old! Anyone ever been there? Inupt on area?

#2 ·
I spent 9 months living in Anchorage for work and loved every minute of it. Alska is the most beautiful place I have ever been. Just make sure you make some time to go sight seeing and fishing.

#15 ·
yea the msrt is in moyock, nc.... i think it needs a name change.

#8 ·
I have been to Kodiak numerous times, but my visits were on ships and were a bunch of years ago. I am sure the outdoors stuff will blow you away. An ATV is really valuable to access the best hunting and fishing.

Tank, Free advice and you know what that is worth... Live South of the Inter Coastal Waterway (ICW). The multiple bridge openings during the warmer months is a PIA, 20 minutes delays at a minimum.

Chesapeake schools are some of the best in the area. A buddy of mine lived over toward Fentress field and liked it but Jet Noise (The sound of Freedom) was a little annoying.

The schools in N.C. are not as good as Chesapeak but costs for rent etc are much better. You will also get a bigger place with more land then in Va. I have a CG buddy that lives in Cambridge NC (about 6 miles South of the state line) and can give you info on that area if you are interested. Send me a PM and I will get you his contact info.

#9 ·
Yeah, I think I will buy a few atv's and a toyhauler before the move. From what I have gathered they really jack the prices up up there. Already convinced the wife that upgrades are needed to the truck before we leave so I don't have to pay for the shipping of all the parts to kodiak!
I knew the base in kodiak was big but I had no idea that it was the biggest CG base in the country! They even have a auto shop on the base that has multiple bays with lifts. Plus a weld shop and paint booth! I'm getting more excited by the day!

#11 ·
Does the coast guard have supply flights. When I was in the AF, we could have stuff shipped to a Stateside base, they would throw it on a supply flight and deliver it at no charge, the plane was going there anyway. Might take a while but it was free.

Alaska used to be considered an overseas base. Not sure if it still is or not.

#12 ·
Alaska still is overseas. no point in putting my stuff on a plane. we have the choice to either have a CG hired moving company come and pack our stuff and move it to our new location, or move it ourselves. the CG pays you what it would cost them to hire a commercial mover to move your stuff if you decide to do it yourself. in my case this is usually the best option because both myself and my wife are in the CG. i haven't looked into what they will pay me to move myself to Alaska, but my last move from Astoria Oregon to port angeles, Washington they gave my wife and i a total of $5200 to move ourselves. in total it cost me $800 to move myself up here. the rest goes into my pocket to help pay first/last months rent and deposit on a new home. that move was roughly 350 miles. now if you extrapolate that out to a move of roughly 2500 miles plus outconus perdiem rates, that equates to roughly $35000 to move myself to Kodiak. honestly, i don't think i will get anywhere near that much. but with the research i have done including the price of fuel and ferries, i think i could get myself to Alaska for roughly $10000. i think what they would give me would be a fair amount above that amount.

#13 ·
Nice choice. Kodiak is beautiful. Been there 3 times since aug of 09. Im on the Sycamore WLB-209 stationed in Cordova AK now.

For starters I would say:
-Buy rain gear for your whole family.
-Buy a .44 mag or bigger, its not worth it going hiking esp. when you have a family. (Brownies)
-If you like fishing buy a deep sea rod in the lower 48 for halibut. (its cheaper)
-Since the CG is prob gonna move your stuff, buy your furniture where your at. I promise it will be cheaper. The exchange is the biggest in Kodiak but prices still dont compete with the lower 48.
-Took my truck about 5 weeks to get here from FL, yours might be a similar siuation.

Hope some of this helps. If you have any questions pm me.

#16 · (Edited)
oh and i got my orders too on friday.... its separation time! headed back to florida. hey tank you want to rent my house? it would be a little drive to moyock, its in kill devil hills

#17 ·
Buoy tender, nice! I really wanted one but the wife didn't want to move back to Everett. She insisted that I put it further down the list of my pics. I thought about moving it back up towards the top last minute, but chickened out. The Polar Star sounds like it's gonna be a sweet gig for me though. I'm just counting down the days!

Good luck

#18 ·
I was stationed on the CGC IRONWOOD (91-late 92) The auto hobby shop was awesome I painted my truck there it even had a NAPA upstairs at the time. I havent been back since but I have always wanted too. Halibut fishing from the ship was great and our ship had crab trap permits too so we had fresh tanner crabs every patrol. Enjoy it out there. As far as shipping a vehicle it took several weeks for mine to get there and everything inside was stolen when I got it and my Harley had re arranged sheet metal and a bent wheel when I got it.:mad:

good part about being on a ship is when you get patrols to Seattle you can stock up on things for allot less then you can buy it in AK. ANd the air station has passenger flights to Anchorage for free.

Good luck and have fun out there!

#19 ·
I was wondering if they had flights to the mainland. That is good to know. I already have crab pots, need some new fishing gear I snapped my pole last summer off costa rica when I hooked into a 6 ft sailfish. Got it almost to the boat and then it took off and jumped a few times and 4" of the tip of my pole snapped off and had to cut the line. Was a brand new 80 dollar lure too!!! I just sold my 45 last summer too so it looks like it is time to buy more handguns! I'm not gonna ship my truck, we will be taking the alcan highway. I've heard too many horroe stories of the vehicle shippers the military uses. My father retires in 2 weeks from the CG and he is gonna drive up there with me. Gonna be a convoy for sure! Big ass uhaul, my truck, trailer, subaru, and hopefully a few atv's !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.