Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

can i spool this?

5K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  donzimama 
#1 ·
hey guys. i am wondering if a 6.0l would be able to spool a bullseye S480 without the aid of nitrous. i am also doing a build at the time i am doing this so it wont be a stock engine. the engine is getting a eliete stage 3 cam, conecting rods, pistons, adreniline hpop, hpod, push rods, springs, and 255cc injectors.

the specs for the turbo are:
Turbocharger Name - S480
Compressor Wheel Inducer - 80mm
Turbine Wheel Inducer - 87/96
Turbine Wheel Trim - 87
Turbine Option - Outlet - V-Band
Turbine Option - Inlet - T6
Turbine Option - A/R - 1.10
Horsepower Rating - 550-1300

i would appreciate any help/ advice. thank you.

#5 ·
How about we put it in this way, ppl use that as a large turbo on a twin set-up 71mm is the largest VGT even those have a lil problem, you might be able to but I would think you might run into problems holding it. Maybe a diverting valve could help that.

#7 ·
You would probably overheat the torque and cook the tranny before you spooled that thing but I think it would be funny to watch someone try to spool it.

#12 ·
You won't spool it with an auto no matter what tc you have. Have run that turbo on The American Ride and it would fall off it at like 3300 rpms.

#19 ·
Jeezus, even guy's running twins need nitrous to clean up some injectors...

People who are telling you that you won't be able to spool something that big, are trying to help you...not hold you back from making more power then them. They have "Been there, and done that!" long time ago...

JMO: gotta stay at, or under a 66mm compressor wheel.
Any turbine wheel under 71mm on the exducer will have way too much back pressure, unless it has a waste gate. (Internal, or external)

#22 ·
i know that no one is trying to screw with me. i am asking because i dont know turbos! and i know some of the people on here do. so in your opinions what would be the best turbo for the aplication? it is a drag truck. it already has nitrous on it i just want to limmit the amount needed because its expensive to run! and i will also be putting a diverter valve on it to help spool time.

#20 ·
Big singles are only good in sled pulling applications. They don't do good at all on the street. IMO they would only lead to you doing nothing but watching the gauges and not actually enjoying the truck.

#25 ·
with all the money i am putting into this truck to get it back running i wont be able to put twins on it now. as it is i am way over my budget and i cant go much more. so i am looking for a turbo i can run singular for now and then upgrade in a bit. i have hurd alot about the powermax turbo. what would that be like in this set up? too small/ big?

#27 ·
If you're set on running a single, then a 66 is probably your best bet. Anything bigger will probably be too hard to spool, anything less won't move enough air. Or maybe that 71mm vgt would work but idk much about it

#30 ·
I have made my share of mistakes when trying different turbo's.

I would prolly buy an Industrial Injection 62/80. (Or their 64mm turbo...whatever they call it...) That way...it's already gated, and you can still use it for twins when you have the money. (Instead of having to get rid of a VGT style turbo, or buying a waste gated housing for the turbine later.)

#34 ·
If it's a drag ONLY truck and you have nitrous to help spool, and a very loose converter....I wouldn't be afraid to try something in the 74-75mm range. Smaller exhaust housing with an external gate for when you spray it.

It's not gonna spool fast on it's own but a tiny shot of nitrous goes a long way towards helping getting a bigger charger to spin.

Get a back pressure gauge on it so you can dial in the gate with the nitrous and go have some fun.

That opinion is ONLY based on a drag or sled pull only truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.