Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mounting tires on 20x14 wheels

12K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  necks00 
#1 ·
Took my wheels and tires to discount tire and they couldnt get the beads to seat on the wheels. Tires are 15.50 wide, is there any place you guys know of to try? They recomended 4wheel parts but do they have any different way of mounting them? These guys had a 160psi cheeta tank and tried 30+ times without any luck.

#2 ·
hmmm. I did all mine in my front yard. (so i didnt scratch em) Maybe try the ratchet strap around the tire trick or there is always good ole starting fluid!! Be care full.

#3 ·
How did you do them? They said I could try the starting fluid trick on my own and then have them balanced there but they werent going to be able to do that (obviously). Never heard of the rachet strap trick.

#4 ·
oh put a strap around the tire, tighten it till it almost folds the tread over together ( u will see as u tighten it) then lay the tire down in its back give it a big shot of fluid light it & hope for the best. Have a air chuck on the valve stem putting air in as u light it, make sure there is NO core in the valve stem.

Use something long to light it with for your safety!

#6 ·
we did the strap trick & a cheeta blaster but either way will work

#8 ·
Do the cheetah and strap! Don't use fluid, if the rim were to happen to split it will kill you!

Chad

#9 ·
only if they are steel!!! aluminum your good, i have folded a few sets of steel

#11 ·
Lighter fluid and a match. :D

#12 ·
It's nasty to clean up but on big equipment tires we have had to use grease or there is also big buckets of thick soap that alot of big tire shops use to pack around the bead to where it will allow the air to push the tire out enough to catch the bead... Good luck...

#13 ·
Another thing that helps it to put something ( a 6x6 ) down & lay the rim on it so the rim is off the ground , that will seal the rear bead just with the weight of the tire then your only trying to seal the front / top bead.

#15 ·
Yeah I might chalk them with something and use a strap. These guys were wanting to go home, can't blame them after that many tries. I've done the starter fluid and lighter before but it's to iffy I think, I was younger and dumber back then lol.

#17 ·
You would think but there was 4 of them trying with me coaching lmao. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.

#22 ·
Yeah they soaped the hell out of it. The problem was when they tried to seat one side they were lifting the tire and letting the weight of the rim come down on the bead and then use the cheeta from the bottom. The tire weighs roughly 65lbs a piece and the rims weigh roughly 40-45lbs a piece and are 38" tall, so after holding it up they were getting tired and readjusting it constantly. Then they tried it resting on the mount/dismount machine but the tire wont seat flush with the wheel that way and the cheeta would blow air in through the top and out the bottom due to it being gapped on both sides of the wheel.

That bucket idea sounds like a winner combined with the strap, I'll do it again this weekend.

#23 ·
How stupid can that tire shop be?? If they can't mount 15.50 wide tire on a 14" wheel then they shouldn't be in buisness! Haha I got my 20x14s mounted with some 305/55 Nitto Trail Grapplers here in town, and my buddy put 33x12.50 mudd grapplers on his set of 20x14s but its super stretched. I'm surprised no tire shop by you can mount them

#24 ·
the discount here mounted my 12.50 on my 12 wide rim. my buddy has a subaru they mounted a 8 and a half tire on a 10 in rim obviously dont set the bead but it took em awhile haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.