Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Moving/New shop in MI

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  JLDickmon 
#1 ·
I have been doing pretty well out of my small garage in Lynchburg. Became a sponsor on here and have gotten some people into the stereo stuff, some tuning small performance upgrades and decals, but I want to take this to the next level.

I have been in conversation with a smaller newer sector of the diesel performance community and have an opportunity to move into a 10,000 sqft shop with cnc's welders, lifts, paint booths and everything, the only problem is it is in MI. I grew up there, and would love to move back but my focus the last half decade has been my education. I was first going to be a pastor then a Prof because I was really good at this school stuff, but I seem to be really good at being a gearhead as well and it is way more fun.

So you MI guy's, is there room for me there in western MI, or is it already to crowded?

#2 ·
where abouts is the shop? :D

#5 ·
Real good money in automotive right now. I work a full time job making good money then i get off work and have my own small business working on cars and trucks. On the average week i will make the same if not more then I do going to work. Plus as I'm sure that you know you cant right off a lot of things when you have your own business.

With in the next few years if things counties to grow like they seem to. I will have to quiet my day job and have my working cars be my full time job.

The funny part about all this is 5 years ago I went back to school and got a different degree outside of automotive service so I didn’t have to work on cars. Now I find my self doing it full-time. I do not regret it one bit though as i have learned a lot thru the years and have a full CNC shop along with welder and benders. So if/when I opening my own shop up full time I will have all the equipment I need to most custom work.

Mike

#7 ·
That is my biggest proplem too. Is a tech I can trust. Not sure how I'm going to get over that when time comes. I do keep in touch with alot of the guys I went to tech school with so I alawys have that option its just going to be hard to pull them away from a 80k dealership pay.

Good luck
Mike

#8 ·
One of the surest ways to kill an established shop is to move it.

If you have to move it, I'd say move it east about 35 miles, to where you'd have a larger customer base.. but I'd warn you that would be a gamble right now, as GR was just named one of America's Ten Dying Cities by Newsweek magazone, along with Flint, Detroit and South Bend, Indiana.

For sure you'd have more competition in Grand Rapids, but you'd also be closer to resources like AIS and Diesel Injection Service.

#9 ·
That is the thing, my customer base is in Grand Haven, MI, not here in VA. I have been taking days off from down here to go up there.

I agree about the economy though, that really makes me nervous.

I also have an in with Bulleye, Baker and a few really good speed shop wholesalers.

Lynchburg and the surrounding area just does not have enough people to grow a shop here without a great deal of financial investment, so the shop will not make any more money staying here. And I am surrounded by great shops here as well.

Either way Im outta this place if I goto grad school in Indy or whatever I do.

Thanks for the input fellers.

#10 ·
what type of shop is this going to be? service/repair, performance or anything related to diesel, Ford Chevy and Dodge? I'm about 30 miles south of Muskegon and know quite a few people in the performance world. if you need any help or contacts let me know.

#11 ·
I have a great opportunity to have a protected territory for an exclusive company that specializes in European cars. I would focus on tuning and fabrication of European cars and domestic diesels. Repair and maintenance would be done on a couple of fleets as well. We would also have the graphics, stereo shop, custom interior, and many other customizing and fabrication abilities.

#12 ·
theres no real big shops around here. Im near lansing, i mean theres a couple people painting, and not too many stereo installs. I do all my own, and all my friends, i love doin it so dont make your prices too reasonable. hahahah. Id say come on up, im sure there is plenty of work locally. Id even say with the silver lake sand dunes in mi, diesel would be hot. People love watchin a dizzle rip #### up. lol.

#15 ·
I'm moved in the new location. No real setup yet because stuff needs to be moved around and the other building renter and I have to talk turkey. I received a PM a while ago about one of ya'll that might be interested in a job at a shop. Let me know if you still are or if anyone in the muskeegon MI are might be, making plans to make this grow.

Jim K.

#21 ·
I have thought about coopersville, but I heard there is a shop in Allendale and I dont want to be too close to them or Merchants. Merchants is great shop and I don't think Engineered Diesel is too bad either. I might be moving from here sooner than later, Grand Haven or Nunica. The rent is super cheap, but we are stepping all over each other. I am only quoting ghetto cars now too. I just quoted a 15K twin turbo instal on a 77 Caprice. But he doesn't want to do brakes. 28" wheels, 700hp and stock breaks makes me super nervous.

#24 ·
Right now I am in Muskeegon, but that might change up a little. Engineered Diesel is in Allendale right on M45. Don't know much about them but that's quite a bit closer to ya than I am. I'm looking at other buildings because even though there is nearly 15k sq. feet we are all over each other here. And I don't like the layout either. I looked in Holland at a building yesterday so Ill see where that goes.

#25 ·
Right now I am in Muskeegon, but that might change up a little. Engineered Diesel is in Allendale right on M45. Don't know much about them but that's quite a bit closer to ya than I am. I'm looking at other buildings because even though there is nearly 15k sq. feet we are all over each other here. And I don't like the layout either. I looked in Holland at a building yesterday so Ill see where that goes.
They're pronounced "Mosquito" "All Hell dale" and "North Mexico"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.