Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

tranny upgrade help

4K views 45 replies 11 participants last post by  racefan68 
#1 ·
Goodmorning psn! I just got an 02 7.3psd its got 180,000 miles on it with 4" straight pipe. I just put an edge juice and an intake. I would like to go as far as stage one injectors,propane, methanol, and pretty much everything on the intake side. I'm not sure what to do with the tranny, just a torque converter, maybe more?? Any input on anything will help. Thank you. (I have an automatic)

#2 ·
First off welcome to the nation. Second, forget the propane. Do you have the factory downpipe still? If you do get a 3" downpipe. The factory dp is nothing more than a restriction. Take the edge back out and send it back or sell it. You will want an adjustable chip like a 6 pos ts with custom tunes or a dp with custom tunes. Get a good intake system. Do not use a K&N. Stage 1's will wake it up some. As far as the trans goes, the stock trans is barely able to handle the engine in stock form. If and only if the trans is currently working flawlessly, you could upgrade to a good triple disc converter and a custom valvebody. I would call either BTS, John Wood, RacerX, or any of the vendors here that deal in performance transmissions and parts. They can better direct you once you explain your goals to them.

#3 ·
Lol ok. The 4" exhaust is Turbo back. I'm gonna stick with edge for a while, I'm happy with it. Transmission works perfectly no probs, do you think a multi disc torque converter would be enough, or definently a new valve body also? I was looking at the ATS 5 star, or is their better for the same price? Thank you for the time

#4 ·
First off your torque converter stock is triple disk. Don't worry about it with your power level. The edge will do far greater harm to your transmission than a bump up in hp from a good chip. Thats right. The edge will harm your truck, not help it. As far as the k&n goes, I can show you my old compressor wheel and you can see the effects of a k&n on it. Propane is a bad idea. Water meth is ok if its used just for egt control.

Trans mods- john woods valve body and either a 6.0 or trucool auxillary trans cooler.

Ats sux. Period.

What hp do you want. We will go from there.

Welcome to the nation!

#5 ·
Well I must have missed what I said that was funny. The problem with the edge is that it is canned tunes and it will cause your egt's to be unmanageable. A quality triple disc converter is what the guy are running that are making big power. A custom valve body with the triple disc converter will help your trans survive longer. Without a stout trans anything more than tranny saver sticks to the stage 1's and it will not last. Steer clear of ATS. The converters available through the vendors here are miles ahead of ATS and the junk they sell. Do a search for ATS on here and see what everyone has to say about them. I believe the PI Stallion is the common upgrade converter a lot of the guys go with. Stick around and do some reading up on all of the ideas running through your mind about what you want to do with your truck. You will find many threads on each and every subject I am sure. You will also learn the pros and cons of each decision that many before you have made. We are all here to help. That is what the nation is all about. Oh and we like to bust on each other so be prepared.

#6 ·
Hey vander. They didn't start putting triple disc converters in until they released the 6.0. Prior to that they are all single disc from the factory.

#7 ·
Nope. 99.5-03 Triple disk. Straight from john woods' mouth.

#8 ·
What year did they start using them? I have seen a 99, 00, 01, 02, and an 03 6.0 apart and every one of them was single disc. There could however be a difference if they were plow, ambulance, etc packaged.

#9 ·
Just relaying what he told me a few weeks ago. Im not telling him not to get a better tc. In fact its great advice. Just clarifying to the best of my knowledge.

#10 ·
Don't take what these guys say the wrong way, they are just trying to help. Some, like you, come here to learn. But the majority of the PSN locals are here to inform. When people here say to use a 6-pos chip, then they say it for a reason. If they say steer clear of the queirs (ATS, Banks,Bullydog, etc...) Then steer clear.

You will do nothing but learn if you just listen. And don't listen to your friends that have those all mighty cummins. 10 times out of 10 they don't know what they're talking about. If you have questions, this is the place to ask.

Btw, welcome to the nation.

#11 ·
P.s. before I go... He is right. Not being a dik. Just trying to help you learn from my mistakes. I had an edge juice with attitude. That's why I had to buy a new transmission. Then I dumped the edge for a ts style. Whada ya know, tranny still in tact.

#12 ·
Oh,... And sell that edge and use the money to put towards a custom tuned chip. Don't worry about propane or meth.

My advice is the following in these steps.

Intake
Exhaust
Gauges
Chip
Valve body, and TC
38r
200/30 hybrids (slightly bigger than stage 1s but more efficient)
Then possibly hpop depending on yours condition.

#19 ·
i see your saying that a valve body and tc is going to be enough to handle a 38r and 200/30 hybrids. will a new stock trans w/vb and tc hold?
i've had peope tell me that the 38r and stage 1's im installing will fry my trans even with a new tc and vb, so i,ve kinda put a hold on that and been looking into upgrading my trans more then just a vb and tc.
is this true

#13 ·
Hey Vander, I wasn't trying to argue with you. I personally have never seen a triple disc in one from the factory. I am sure John is better schooled than I am about it.

Dirtboy, A little bigger than stage 1's???:rolleyes::poke:LOLLOL. I agree on your list but the only thing I would change is to put gauges first so he can see if his trans is running hot, whether or not he has any boost issues, and where his egt's are at so he can see what each improvement makes as he does them.

#15 ·
Alright well I appreciate all the input, and after hearing from three different people to ditch the edge I will definently do that soon. I'm looking to achieve about 400-450hp and 900lbs ft at the wheels. Not sure how much that will take. I do want to do tranny work b4 I go any further than a chip. any names I should search for to get a good TC?

#17 ·
Ts 6pos yes but that chip isn't custom. Since you want 400-450 buy the chip from wherever you get the injectors.
Unless you have the plastic intercooler don't worry about it. There is no need at that hp. The intake is a waste of money too. Your intake is fine.
the mod list for that hp is the same as the list posted earlier but the injectors will need to be 238/100's. Possibly headstuds. And at that point don't worry about modifying your tranny. Just buy a bts or john woods tranny.

#18 ·
Look in the sponsor section for a chip. Browse their sites and browse this site. You will learn a lot quickly just by reading. Do a quick search on chips, with about 10 minutes of reading you will be convinced.

A few "custom tuners" to keep in mind are listed below in no particular order. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I have had php, gearhead, and tyrant and have liked them all.

Cale thompson- tyrant diesel
Diesel performance plus
Gearhead automotive
Beans diesel performance
Swamps diesel performance
Tony wildman
Dp
Power hungry performance
Wide open performance
Diesel innovations
Innovative diesel

#20 ·
Unless you get a Precision Industries TC, I wouldn't put any TC besides the stock one on your used trans. Sure, the best builder can build you a trans and the first week out, it can break. Chances are that it won't and you have a warranty.

Put a good TC into the trans and when it breaks, what will you do? Toss it or clean it. You pay about $400 to have them cut the TC apart, clean it, weld it back and balance it. PI will give you one free restall for 2 years but when that time is up, you pay for the cleaning or restall.

If you want to do trans fixing, get a BTS from Brian's Truck Shop. Won't be the last trans you buy but it will be the last one you pay for. He has a reputation of fixing it after his 2 yr warranty is up for free. Search out Dockboy and ask him how many transmissions he broke racing and how many he paid for. Inside the 2 yr warranty, he pays for shipping. Outside, you pay for shipping.

#21 ·
Unless you get a Precision Industries TC, I wouldn't put any TC besides the stock one on your used trans. Sure, the best builder can build you a trans and the first week out, it can break. Chances are that it won't and you have a warranty.

Put a good TC into the trans and when it breaks, what will you do? Toss it or clean it. You pay about $400 to have them cut the TC apart, clean it, weld it back and balance it. PI will give you one free restall for 2 years but when that time is up, you pay for the cleaning or restall.

If you want to do trans fixing, get a BTS from Brian's Truck Shop. Won't be the last trans you buy but it will be the last one you pay for. He has a reputation of fixing it after his 2 yr warranty is up for free. Search out Dockboy and ask him how many transmissions he broke racing and how many he paid for. Inside the 2 yr warranty, he pays for shipping. Outside, you pay for shipping.[/QUOTE

Is that all you do is talk about bts? you sound like a sales rep, very thread i read on this forum all you do is talk about bts:blah:, nothing against them i no brain builds an awesome trans that i do know, but some people on there are looking for an alternate route or something less pricey. i do know what your saying about putting a nice new convertor on a used trans it just doesnt make sence, but what if a guy just wanted to buy a new ford trans and upgrade it before he puts it in with a new tc and vc for maybe jw or bts. i dont see a prob with that if hes only making 375-400hp if thats all a guy can afford at least it will be better them stock. ive heard alot of guys say that with just a tc and vb there trans hold up great as long as you get a nice cooler.

#22 ·
I am putting a JW VB on my stock trans of 150k with a TC from ARI Industries. $350 with a lifetime warranty. About $700 in the tranny after shipping. Hoping it will hold until I can get over this build financially and get a BTSLOL or possibly another built tranny.

Just an affordable option is all.

#24 ·
If the TC is lifetime, depending on what they exclude, WGAS? Get any TC you want. Only worry I have is if they come back and say "Well, the TC didn't give way but your trans did. The TC is fine except it is full of crap. Take it back or pay to have me clean it.".

#26 ·
Honestly there are only two really good performance tranny builders. Bts and john woods. Bts is cheaper but john woods is the best of the best. John woods on the west coast and bts in arkansas. Its more of a location thing probably.

#27 ·
Closer to BTS for you but about the same for me either way.

#29 ·
Diesel performance parts are kinda like hookers. Spend the extra money now for a higher quality product. That way you don't end up paying twice as much later on doctor bills!

#30 ·
I plan on running in the 400 to 450hp range and from reading its sounds like going to a BTS trans is really the only way to go. But i was wondering would it be more economic to do a zf6 swap? I dont tow really and only plan on a sled pull here and there. Trucks got 161000 on it and it was a snow plow up in alaska before i got it. If a BTS is the best option what all would be necessary for the install?

#31 ·
Fluid and a work space with the right tools. Maybe a 6.0L cooler while you are at it.

#34 ·
Depends on if you install it($3500 ish) or go to Lead Hill, AR and have it done
($4500 ish). Just ballpark figures from what I have read.

#33 ·
While they are not cheap, it will be the last trans that you have to BUY. The initial cost is a bit overwhelming but when you consider that you only have to buy one BTS vs several stock rebuilds at that power range, it completely offsets the sticker shock.

#36 ·
I would be installing it myself. I live up in Oregon so driving down to where he is isnt really an option. May sound like a dumb question but what torque converter would I run with it?

#40 ·
BTS comes with a TC already.

#37 ·
Call Jake at Irate Diesel Performance. He has a good handle on performance trannies. I think he uses john woods but Jake is closer.

#38 ·
Hey bud u might think u know lol but these guys always know more lol... There right... U can sent that edge to power hungry and have them pit tunes on it I belive.... But take everything they say to mind... Welcome to the nation! I'm shure ur learn alot.. I deft have

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.