Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

$500 per side for wheel bearings? REALLY?

6K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  410customs 
#1 ·
Sooo.I'm puttin new lift,wheels,tires,brakes,etc.. Was thinking of doin wheel bearing checked oreillys today and they r $520 per side.U have to buy hub and all? Who's idea was this.lol. Any way truck has bout 70k had 6"with 37s for about 30k. Didn't notice any drivability probs,just wanted to do prevenitive maint.what is best way to check. Maybe I don't have to do it now.
Thanks for any info.

#2 ·
Lift the tires off the ground, grab them and see if you can rock them back and forth or if they are solid. Or take the wheels off and just grab the studs and do the same, with the wheel off you can see better what moves and how much.

You can grease the needle bearing, not the actual hub bearing that is sealed. If you don't think it needs new ones I would atleast do the needle bearings so you know they are taken care of, and while you are at it you can do all the o-rings and stuff for the 4wd to make sure all of that is in good shape.

#3 ·
Thanks, can u grease them by removing sensor I read about in the hub bearing thread? Or remove and pack, hopeing for not much wear.

#8 ·
I have 126k on my truck and just the other day stripped the wheels down to just the hub to check mine and everything felt good and tight, no abnormal sounds when spinning them or when trying to work them back and forth. ABS sensors are another story though.

I bought a couple off of amazon for $79. Figured for that price, can't go wrong. It fits and works, don't know how long it will last but if it explodes it wont be the first time changing a wheel bearing on the side of the highway, but at least this time I wont be cussing about a $300 bearing going out.
Are you guys talking about the bearings for the 99-04 trucks? Seems the 05+ bearings are a bit more expensive. Cheapest I could find with some google searching was around $505 :mad:

#6 ·
I bought a couple off of amazon for $79. Figured for that price, can't go wrong. It fits and works, don't know how long it will last but if it explodes it wont be the first time changing a wheel bearing on the side of the highway, but at least this time I wont be cussing about a $300 bearing going out.

#7 ·
I had an issue way back on a 00. when I reinstalled them I put grease in the housing where the o-ring are. it will keep them cool. I have done this on every one since, never had a problem. they have o-rings and when the o-rings pop, the bearings go next. they are easy to install.

#9 ·
Thanks, I haven't got to check em yet. Truck is at a friends shop. I'll be puttin new lift on there. if I do need them I will do some shoppin

#11 ·
Maybe I'm a sucker, but I'm in it for $530 a piece every time, done five in just under three years. I wouldn't waste time looking at a 'house brand' unless that 'house' is a Ford parts department. Made by Ford for Ford.

#18 ·
Well, we changed one over from early 99 to 2000 stuff. All we had to do was bolt it on. A little bit different offset for the brake rotor (like 0.130 IIRC), but everything bolted right up with no changes..

And I have had just as good a luck with advance auto as I did with any of the rest including FORD. $180 apiece. Oh yeah, the SRW front is the same exact crap as the DRW front unit bearing. Only difference is stud length is longer for the SRW. Bolts right on, and is cheaper by about $40.

#19 ·
I'm not finding any for an 06 for $200. The dyna trac conversion. Is that the one that you can just change the bearing. Heard of but haven't priced it yet. I understand its about $1200 but later it cost less. If I got almost 70k out of stock bearing recon I will get that out of new ford ones?

#22 ·
$2400 CHEESE AND RICE!!!!!!! I wont be doin those, I guess I will get some good one and hope i can get 70k out of them. Thanks and BTW CHEESE AND RICE is the church way to say jesus christ in vain

#24 ·
The difference in the cheap verses good bearings is, The cheap Bearings are ball bearings, the good bearings are tapered roller bearings. I just bought one from Ford and Pd $350.

#27 ·
take the plug where the vacuum line for the 4wd and put in a grease fitting been doing that since my first bearing went out on all my 3 f350s been great since not a problem

#29 ·
Again thanks for all the info. My lift finally got here yeterday,took it straight to powder coating. Hope to get it back this week then get truck back together soon after. I will throughly check out bearings and make decision then

Reactions: robrike1
#30 ·
"take the plug where the vacuum line for the 4wd and put in a grease fitting been doing that since my first bearing went out on all my 3 f350s been great since not a problem"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"but if you don't have that fitting you can take it off and grease it up and your gtg"

My vacumn lines are unhooked for hubs since I have replaced auto hubs with manual hubs so does that mean I can grease the needle bearings through the hole where the vacumn line used to hook into?

#31 ·
I paid $109 today at Advance Auto for the NTP brand assembly with a 1 yr warranty, they price matched OREILLYS. Oreillys was the PARTSMASTER Oreillys also has the PRECISION line and with 3 yr warr and they are $242. These prices are through a commercial account. All come with new ABS sensor.

#32 ·
Dynatrac will sell you the kit direct for around 1800 I believe and you get Warn Premium lock-outs also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.