Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Wobble Of Death!

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Guillotine 
#1 ·
This "new to me" truck is giving me some front-end troubles...

Truck's a 2000 2wd F-350 DRW crew cab, I've replaced everything (almost) under the front end and still get a death wobble at about 30mph and when it happens it is scary as sh!t.

Replaced the ball joints, top & bottom, tie-rod ends, all the other links between the steering box and wheels, greased her real good and had an alignment. During the alignment they suggested shock and steering stabilizer replacement so when I got home I did those too.

Went on a test drive and everything seemed fine, cruised around about 50 miles or so then it happened. And I can cruise on up to 30 easily and make it do it, if I accelerate moderately passed it it won't happen. What gives? This is SCARY SCARY, I mean watch traffic clear out of the way scary!

Please help!

#2 ·
have you checked the wheel bearing's? may be far fetched but if you change much more it will be a new axle by the sounds of it.

#3 ·
being a 2wd, i'm with him :whs: jack it up, and roll the tires (or get someone to do it) look across the tread and at tread. (side and front while rolling) might be a busted belt or knot on a tire.something else to check before you go broke rebuilding the frontend. :poke:

#4 ·
Another vote for check the tires. I thought my Crapalier had a bent rim, as at low speeds (under 30) the ass end would shimmy bad. Turns out the rear tires were bad.

#11 ·
If the adapters do not center the wheel on the adapter and just the lugs are locating the wheel then it could be off center and that would cause a vibration and shimmy. It would do it at any speed though. It would get progressively worse the faster you went. Is it possible you have a bad control arm bushing? They could overlook a control arm bushing during alignment unless it was completely shot and after alignment when you are going down the road, the road resistance would push the tires rearward creating excessive toe out which would cause a death wobble. Just food for thought.

#13 ·
Then all that leaves is the spacers.

#14 ·
The spacers/adapters are hub-centered, so rule that out.

Stay on track with bushings, the "wobble of death" doesn't come from steering parts. Yes it's shaking the wheel in your hand and the wheels are rapidly moving but they're not moving side to side rather back and forth, if that makes sense.

Who's installing parts/aligning it?

#16 ·
Scratch the steering box play, that's not enough play to feel and probably want cause the wobble. Same with any steering joints with the exception of the tie-rod ends and both would have to be completely phucked to cause that sorta movement.

Again, not trying to be an asshat, but the "wobble of death" doesn't come from steering components. It is derived from suspension.
Check the control arm bushings one more time, check the beam bushings. On a 2wd Super Duty these points are the culprit 90% of the time, the other 10% would be split between tires & tie-rod ends.

And on the stabilizer... it shouldn't really be needed, it often times masks a problem fairly well, though.

#18 ·
I'd say bring it to my place but we can't do anything until we get all the '08 beds off and put on the '11s. Since you're in a hurry take it back to Superior, tell them exactly what's going on, have 'em drive it. Talk to Zach or Bruce, those guys have their sh!t together.

Call me if you need to.

#20 ·
I'd say bring it to my place but we can't do anything until we get all the '08 beds off and put on the '11s.
I noticed all the stripped down trucks out front, what's the rush?

And what's up with Jase's truck? The old man said ya'll got it right!!!

:bowfast:

#24 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back to this but, I said I had to go outta town...

It was the I-beam bushings, looked good when we did the lift (the FabTech lift for a 2wd has drop-brackets for the I-beams) and something told me to replace them while I was there but as good as they looked and with no reason to change them I didn't. I was doing a bunch to the truck at one time and was really anxious to get it back on the road.

I do still have a slight shimmer between 35-45 that comes & goes and makes me feel like the "wobble" could still rear it's ugly head, particularly when I hit an obtrusive bump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.