Pros and cons of disconecting the EBPS....... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 AM
64pcode
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Pros and cons of disconecting the EBPS.......

I know this has been covered befor and i searched the forum far and wide about it. Can someone please list the pros and cons about unpluging the EBPS. So far what ive got is when unpluged the back EBPS is openat all times, correct? What are the benifits to it being open as to being closed? And it will make my truck sound like the starship enterprise at all times, correct? I just dont want to damage anything, or hurt performance. O and can someone please tell me where it is, i read its under the turbo and i cannot fit my hands in there to save my life.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Pocket
<-- it's like that
Member's Gallery

Re: Pros and cons of disconecting the EBPS.......

The EBPS (exhaust backpressure sensor) sits on the front of the motor, and reads exhaust backpressure via a tube from the passenger's side manifold. Completely disconnecting the sensor such as unplugging the wiring harness will cause the SES light to illuminate, and the EBPV (exhaust backpressure valve) to disable. Meaning the valve will always stay open (no more hissing noise in cold weather while idling). Also there is debate on how much effect it may have on fueling tables. So by disconnecting it, there is a possibility of you actually robbing yourself of some horsepower.

General consensus is to leave it plugged in. If you want to disconnect the EBPV and prevent it from closing off, then you would unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, which is located on the front of the turbo pedistal, way under the turbo in a very inconvenient and hard to reach spot. But, once that plug is unhooked, the EBPV will remain open, and unplugging that connector will not set the SES light or interfere with any engine management systems. Now you still have a functioning EBPS, but a disabled EBPV.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 AM
StrokerTurbo7.3
<----Simply the best.
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to StrokerTurbo7.3

Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 AM
64pcode
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I think i will just leave it hooked up then. Thanks for the info. Fred.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:19 AM
moose99ps
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
The EBPS (exhaust backpressure sensor) sits on the front of the motor, and reads exhaust backpressure via a tube from the passenger's side manifold. Completely disconnecting the sensor such as unplugging the wiring harness will cause the SES light to illuminate, and the EBPV (exhaust backpressure valve) to disable. Meaning the valve will always stay open (no more hissing noise in cold weather while idling). Also there is debate on how much effect it may have on fueling tables. So by disconnecting it, there is a possibility of you actually robbing yourself of some horsepower.

General consensus is to leave it plugged in. If you want to disconnect the EBPV and prevent it from closing off, then you would unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, which is located on the front of the turbo pedistal, way under the turbo in a very inconvenient and hard to reach spot. But, once that plug is unhooked, the EBPV will remain open, and unplugging that connector will not set the SES light or interfere with any engine management systems. Now you still have a functioning EBPS, but a disabled EBPV.
i disagree... mines broke and just laying there.. no SES here and half the time those tubes are blocked up with soot neways
early 99, xcab, 8"lift,37" toyo open country m/ts, afe stage II,BDP tuning, 5" black chrome aussie cuts, blacked out bumper and grill, 8 isspro performax guages, stealth dual pumps, a few fuel leaks......

mods to come:
NO SACRIFICE..... NO VICTORY!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Pocket
<-- it's like that
Member's Gallery

I guess there's a difference then between these trucks because mine will set the SES light if I disconnect the wiring harness for the EBPS.

As for the fueling issue, I mentioned it's debatable. I to have "disabled" my EBPS by removing it from the tube, and capping the end of the sensor and plugging the tube off. The electrical connector is still hooked to the sensor, but the sensor is not reading anything but ambient pressure. With it hooked up this way, I never noticed a difference in power. I did try it unplugged before removing and capping it off, but that SES light was annoying.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Doakster
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

As far as the CEL light, when having my PCM scan a while back, there was actually a EBP sensor code in the PCM but no CEL light was illuminated. I went ahead and replace the EBP sensor and tube anyway. Long story short it may or may not throw a CEL, I've heard threw the grape vine that Jody recommends keeping it connected and functioning properly, and we all know his word is the law, wright?

1993 International 4600 Dump, 7.3 IDI
Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM
DIRTBIKEZ
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My early 99 would not set the SES light with the EBPS disconnected either. Like I said it was much easier to reach being in the front of the motor as I would connect it and disconnect it as needed during the winter.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 AM
Cool Canuck
Above It All
Member's Gallery

Disconnecting the sensor in my '01 does not set the SEL. I also think this is the better option. The PCM will keep the valve open. If you unplug the actuator, the PCM loses control. When you start the truck, the PCM normally exercises the valve. I don't know for sure, but this may still happen with the sensor unplugged. (that would be a good thing) Of course that would be impossible with the actuator unplugged.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Pocket
<-- it's like that
Member's Gallery

Quote:
If you unplug the actuator, the PCM loses control. When you start the truck, the PCM normally exercises the valve. I don't know for sure, but this may still happen with the sensor unplugged. (that would be a good thing) Of course that would be impossible with the actuator unplugged.
When you unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, it completely disables it from closing. It will always remain open, and will not cycle closed at any time.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 AM
StrokerTurbo7.3
<----Simply the best.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
When you unplug the electrical connector at the actuator, it completely disables it from closing. It will always remain open, and will not cycle closed at any time.
I havent seen any CEL or anything appear and I have had mine unplugged for 2 months maybe now.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Dieselgeek
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Mine is laying in the valley along with some dried up blood off the knuckles...
Old 04-17-2008, 04:54 AM
StrokerTurbo7.3
<----Simply the best.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgeek View Post
Mine is laying in the valley along with some dried up blood off the knuckles...
knuckle busters...my favorite
Old 04-21-2008, 01:49 AM
fiveohpatrol
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Just thought I'd share that mine set off the SES light (2000 excursion) when I unplugged it under the turbo.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:57 AM
IH_deere_slayer
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

i took the whole butterfly valve out im pretty sure its not going to close on me running 60 down the highway anymore lol
Old 04-21-2008, 05:23 AM
StrokerTurbo7.3
<----Simply the best.
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
Just thought I'd share that mine set off the SES light (2000 excursion) when I unplugged it under the turbo.
Ellettsville, IN

Where is that exactly in Indiana??
Old 04-21-2008, 06:27 PM
big_stroker
The Fireman
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerTurbo7.3 View Post
Ellettsville, IN

Where is that exactly in Indiana??
I'm thinking its north west of Bloomington

Dynoed 520hp and 926tq on 5/23/09

Dynoed 516 hp and 1121 tq on 4/24/10
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
aklim
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Go to www.spdiesel.com and see their Other/New Products tab. There is something that keeps the PCM happy when you unplug the EBPS and another one for the EBPV. I am keeping my EBPS and ditching the EBPV so I am getting the pug for that one.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U front and A Rear.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Cat_Rebel
OBS junkie
Member's Gallery

Just unplug it, if it sets a code call Garrett at http://www.puredieselpower.com he sells a code fooler for it.
Trust me you won't miss it.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 152
1highstroke, 1snotrocket, 64pcode, 806bob, 96'BigBlue, 96centurion, 997.3PSD, 99F250Smitty, airflo71, aklim, AMB, Arisley, Barnbuilder, bens99f350, Bigdog, bigfastford, Bigtimearcher, big_stroker, black01exc7.3, BlackPearl03, BMac, bobbarry, Boomer, BRAVO, Breacher, brickhead, Bushwakd, Calico5, CamTom12, cat45, CATdiezel, clayc_989, clydesdale, ColbyPs, Cool Canuck, cota, crowz, CSIPSD, CT8, dbcampbell, DChalue413, Deputydog, DIEEEZELLL GIRL, Dieselfever, Dieselgeek, DIRTBIKEZ, dirtybooz16, ditch_dawg, dlonno, Doakster, Dr. Dezel, driverturbo, e444, F350 FF, fbilly420, FireFixer, fishslayer, fiveohpatrol, fordboy424, garyharrin, godofdew11, gosperformance, Got Diesel, gpeyton, haulin99sdp, hawkeye, helvis, icamess, IH_deere_slayer, Insaneba, ironworker25, jakef250, Jaymav3000, JHill, jlegg, joediesle, Johnny77Mutt, josesimoes2, KAC1023, KMurakami, kyle575, LaJ10, Layson, LeRoi, lightsOUT, losfinch, Luke909, maddzack, Martin #6, mattrac, mech2161, metalphd, MidTNStroke, Miffsudd, moose99ps, Morning wood, Mr. Bob, mustang_gt_350, mx185sw, nchappy, NEVRNF, northid710, Not4show, npen, offroad_diesel, PeterB, Pipewhiner, Pocket, powerstroke1979, powerstrokinit, pullths, racehauler, RacerPuller, RallyGTI, Ramblin'_Man, Redfish, Riley250, rob10970, Rockcrusher, rocketron, rpm-inc, Sanger, shaddaddi, Shep, shopteacherguy, SickFord, sixiron, slick_fork, southbend_powerstroke, southmike, sparksmx450, sslong, StrokerTurbo7.3, SUPERDF350, theSLEEPER, tkdbf350, Torque37, toypuller, Traci, TxFire, urbandiesel, urbanwheeler, voodoomaker, wfodiesel, Wyo, yamt03