Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cob webs on the 7.3L performance...

5K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Rustin 
#1 ·
just like it says. I have a buddy the a real early 99. He went to the dealer we use and bought the intakes that go on like 2000-2002( larger). theones on his truck including the y pipe are smaller. if he buys a aftermarket Y will it work on the turbo? or is the turbo smaller on the early 99, than 00-02? what all does he need to make this work?

#4 ·
No, this is all over some of our older threads. The horse has been beat. You have to update everything from the intake manifold, to the turbo pedestal, Y pipes ETC, ETC. While your at it go with a newer HPOP.

#5 ·
yeah this truck was built 10/98. it looks dam near new. the guy works over seas. it only has 97,000 miles on it. he was asking about hissing and I got to looking and the intake boots were leaking. so who sells some good parts on here?

#6 ·
Dieselsite.com will have the conversion kit.
Spider,pedistal,intake runners and boot all diff.
He will also want a wicked wheel, as the e99 had one.

But unless the e99 turbo is shot dont expect much gain.
A beans diesel perf d66 , would bolt right up and do more.

While your lookn at dieselsite check out the adrenaline hpop.
Great folk to deal with, very knowledgeble, patient, and helpful.
Csll them up ask q s etc.

#7 ·
I do not see it listed anymore.
Bob has pulled alot of stuff from his site. There is alot of 7.3 stuff missing and he even has stuff on clearance. Once it is gone it is gone.

#10 ·
yes on both. this truck has a few things done. he just asked about the hissing. I checked it and said the intakes are leaking. I showed him the way I did my 09 boots with a real heavy radiator hose from a big truck parts store. not wanted to buy Ford's over priced boots that are a POS. So dumb@ss Dave here looks and says get the intakes from ford for 00-02, we'll use the thick hose on that too. well I get to looking today and it wasn't sure so I asked. It's been a while since I had a 7.3L! plus I've slept since then too.

#11 ·
that's what is on there now, but his reduces down on the boots going into the intake pleniums. the ones he bought fromFord are for a 00-03.5 I was just wondering If I bought an aftermarket y pipe would it work? or is it a different y,turbo, and intakes for early 99 to 00 and later.

#12 ·
the conversion from early99 to late99-02 consists of up-pipes/collector, turbo, turbo pedastel, intake spider, intake plenums, and im not sure about i/c tubes. i think them work either way.

so take from that list what you have, and what you still need.

BUT.

instead of a full conversion, if he's looking for more powa, you could do a H2E turbo, or a qssb/gqssb turbo.

if he sticks with the conversion, he's stuck with a 38r, which aint bad dont get me wrong, or i dont know if a gt42 would fit stock mounting.

for the price of a conversion then a turbo, i would go with a H2e or the qssb/gqssb from ***, keeping the intake plenums he already bought. i think you would be much happier in the end, depending on how far he wants to take his truck. im sure bigjake could hook you up with something that would fit the bill.

#13 ·
how much coin is he looking at to do the conversion with turbo. ball park.
reason I ask, me and him are already fixing to do egr delete'e w/wastegates wth cooler deletes, BOV, intercooler, oil cooler delete at the end of the month. his isa 08 mine 09. this is the back up truck for him.

#15 ·
Tree trimmer- the gt42 is not drop in. Its a T4 or T6 mount.

DPS0925- Look, if he has all the other stuff(custom chip, gauges, intake, exhaust, etc) just get a d66 from beans. It drops right in. You're probably worried about converting to late99 induction cause the e99 just looks terribly restrictive right? Well, unless he's looking for 500+hp, don't worry about it. Its about $1200 just for the complete mounting system of a t4 or t4i system, before the turbo.

Just my .02.

#19 ·
Sorry. Posted same time you did. I wouldn't have posted if I read your last post.

#23 ·
The late intake openings are 3", the early 99 compressor/manifold adaptor (y-piece) size is 2-3/8". Your buddy needs adaptor hoses that go from 3" to 2-3/8". intakehoses.com sells these boots, there are other sellers also. The factory clamps work fine, the late clamps for the intake side and the early clamps for the y- side. May have to double up the clamps on the y-piece side and do not over tighten the clamps on the 3" intakes, they can collapse if overtightened.

Watch out for the guys on this site, they tend to like to spend a lot of the other guys money....:D

#24 ·
Watch out for the guys on this site, they tend to like to spend a lot of the other guys money....:D
It is just information at this point. A lot of times guys don't know what all is available or adaptable. I have changed my mind on a lot of things based on suggestions from these guys that may not have seemed like it was what I was asking for in my original post so I commend everyone for putting different options out there.

#26 ·
Easier and cheaper to replace the leaking plenums with another set of early 99 plenums. Unless he has high HP goals, he will never notice the difference. You can get replacement stock boots from lots of sources. If interested, I will send you my plenums for shipping.

#27 ·
well..since dieselsite doesn't carry them any more , you could piece one together...junk yard list , classified etc.

i plan on a d66 if i only ever go stg1 or 2 injectors ...or a modded qssb or h2e type if i go 238-250.

#33 ·
Cool story right there. Would have been a cool person to meet.

Wonder if you could shoehorn a 7.3 under the hood of a Pinto?

#34 ·
Geeze? Just think of the fabrication on the front to handle the weight? Might have to figure out a dry sump oil system to boot! Hmmm.... Short wheel base just a little lighter. Rearend might be an issue. Might be able to see 30+mpg on that! I am in if you want to experiment. I can locate a Pinto dirt cheap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.