Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4.10's to 3.55's

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  morefuel 
#1 ·
I want to put 3.55's in my pickup instead of the 4.10's it has for gear ratios. I'm hoping this will help my fuel economy out some of course my foot will still weigh the same. I would like some ideas on what brand of ring and pinion to go with. Do any of you have any experience with Motive gear?

#3 ·
No I haven't done any r&p work. My dad has but it was on a dana 60 rear and he used the eyes gauge for backlash. I was planning on having him help or I was planning on helping him however that works.

#4 ·
We swapped a set of 3.55s into a friend's 97 CCLB dually & he said he didn't report a change in mpg. The truck did feel a hair stronger because it helped load the engine & light the turbo. It made the truck a lot nicer to cruise 70 down the highway as well. If most of your driving is going to be 55mph & semi hilly &/or you tow a lot I'd stick with the 4.10s. If your on the highway you will really enjoy 3.55s, your 5sp will help get you off the line as well.

For gears I've used a good set of used factory before with good results & a bearing/rebuild kit from Randy's if it was needed. For the front you can just unbolt your 3rd member of the TTB & swap that out with one that has 3.55s. I did that on mine when I went from 4.10 to 3.55.

#6 ·
For the front you can just unbolt your 3rd member of the TTB & swap that out with one that has 3.55s. I did that on mine when I went from 4.10 to 3.55.
good point...
find a used rear for 200-350 bucks and swap both out might be the cheaper/easier way.
forgot about the ttb front end... :doh:

#5 ·
do some reading on what is involved, it can be a bit of work.
it is easier to swap the whole rear end IMHO. setting up the bashlash on the pinion gear can be tricky and getting the crush sleeve set up right.
for me it was worth paying a good shop for the warranty of having it done right and i wasn't busting my knuckles over the course of a whole weekend.
On the front, you'll have to pull the hubs, pull the shafts out and try not to jam up the inner shaft seal when you put the shafts back in and so on.
IMHO, unless you're itching to learn and have the right tools. pay to have it done.

#7 ·
I agree with powerlifter, R&P is not something for an amateur to tackle on a weekend. I've swapped rear/front axles on so many trucks to change gear ratios I've lost count. With no air tools & about 2-3 guys I have done axles swaps in a few hours. Finding a good donner axle that's clean & cheap can be a challenge. Also if you have never taken spindles off your front end before you can expect an hour & a half a side of hammering & cussing.

#8 ·
I have a 3.55 ttb front I can swap in so it was just the back that I would need to change. I would like a dana 60 front, I found one from a dodge but don't know if it will fit. If I could find a rear with 3.55's that is what I would prefer. How long do you think it would take a shop to do it?

#9 ·
I can do front & rear one in a full day with 1-2 other guys without air tools so I imagine it shouldn't take a shop with air tools & a 2 post lift much time at all. Your going to be paying $60ish an hour at a normal shop & I couldn't tell you what an axle books out at hour wise. Prob not going to be super cheap though.

#11 ·
Sounds like I will be trying to find an axle then. So will a dana 60 from a 99 dodge fit under the front of my pickup or will it take modifying the spring perches?

#14 ·
That would require a lot of fab work to make it fit in there then you would have to deal with the vacuum system for the hubs some how. Either way I feel it's more hassle then it's worth. The axle you are really looking for is a 95-97 Ford Dana 60. All your brakes will line up & you'll be set.

I believe that those dodges at coil springs......
Yes you are correct.

#13 ·
I know for the Sonoma I had I went from 3.42 to 4.10 back to 3.73. Both times it took about 2 hours for the professionals I had to swap out rears. Longer on the front the first time. The second time I just swapped out the front diff myself from a junk yard.
Respectfully, I was charged $100.00 the first time (son of friend), and $150.00 second (friend of friend).

#15 ·
where are you located? I have a rear axle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.