Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 Gurus Look here Sgt. Rackleys 7.3 :(

7K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  bluedge8 
#1 ·
long story short, lostcausepowerstroke and I installed Sgt. Rackley's SRP1 for him this last wkd b4 his trip to commiefornia. He pulled a trailer with his wifes jeep and his 4 wheeler on it all the way 13 hours no problem... dumbed around for a few days in cali. and pulled into a car wash yesterday afternoon, there truck was idling and died(like the key shut off). He has fuel pressure to the heads but no smoke whatsoever. He checked the fuses, blah blah blah.

I need some input because he really needs this truck on the road, i suggested be have a hydraulic hose made with a 5000psi liquid filled gauge to tap into the hpo system in the head to check that. he is checking the bolt on the hpop gear(it was torqued to 95 ft lbs at install). His next move is to remove the valve covers and check for hpo leak while cranking.

am i on the right track to help him out? or just blowin smoke?

#15 ·
Getting it on a scanner or scan gauge will really help narrow things down. Not to overstate the obvious, but we are fishing in the dark at this point.

FTR, I am definitely not a guru, just trying to help.

#21 ·
Is the only reason you think its oil related because of the fact thats what you replaced? I could be wrong here but I woudl think if it was working for a full 13Hr run that its not the HPOP itself.

You state he was at the car wash I assume as it was idling it was a DIY washer with a wand? Was he doing the engine at any point? Is there a reason to think things under the hood got soaked?

SO far:

All fuses have been checked and were OK

Fuel Pressure is GTG

Is his code reader one that can read all the ford codes?

Was the ICPS and the IPR checked yet?

Did you reuse the old stock IPR, purchase a new one, or rebuild kit for the stocker?

#22 ·
Is the only reason you think its oil related because of the fact thats what you replaced? I could be wrong here but I woudl think if it was working for a full 13Hr run that its not the HPOP itself.

You state he was at the car wash I assume as it was idling it was a DIY washer with a wand? Was he doing the engine at any point? Is there a reason to think things under the hood got soaked?
Truck nevermade it into the carwash

SO far:

All fuses have been checked and were OK Correct

Fuel Pressure is GTG Correct

Is his code reader one that can read all the ford codes? Its just a small generic code reader, i wish i knew someone in the area with AE

Was the ICPS and the IPR checked yet? He's going to pull the ipr and icp and check them today

Did you reuse the old stock IPR, purchase a new one, or rebuild kit for the stocker?
We did reuse the old ipr due to the fact he forgot the new one in cali and we did the pump install in denver

Thanks for throwing some ideas out though, there greatly appreciated, keep them coming!

#24 ·
I'll put money on it that if the CPS didn't fix it that its the IPR. Always Always Always pull the IPR apart and clean it if you are going to reuse with a new HPOP install....

Yes I know from experience. I get off at 3:30, I'll see if I can find my spare IPR and I know I have a set of IPR o-rings to rebuild it with. If I can find it and get it taken apart and cleaned up, I'll post up. I'm about 2.5 hours from there. Shoot me a text if he gets it figured out. I also have AE that I can take with me.

Nathan

760-427-6881

#25 ·
If you think it's oil related, you can always have him break one of the HPOP fittings loose at the rail. IIRC, the passenger side is pretty easy to get to with everything in place. Just have him crack it a few turns and try to turn it over. If the IPR is stuck open then he won't get any oil coming out when he tries to turn it over.

When my IPR went, I was idling up to a stop sign, it stumbled a few times like it was running out of fuel, and died. Did his just flat die, or did it stumble first?

#27 ·
Dillon, Thanks for the help on the thread being my net will not be up till wed. I have changed the CPS, checked fuel delivery, and removed the TS chip to include check all of the fuses that checked out good on all levels. If I have to remove the HPOP again I am doing what anthony has done to his, bye bye fuel bowl. I am in Bakerfeild this weekend got family down here we havent seen in like forever. I should be back in Irwin on sunday afternoon and will check the bolt on the HPOP to insure the bolt didnt come loose. All connections are hooked up with good continuity and voltage by schematics. I am thinking one of 2 things. The FPR took a #### or the HPOP whent out I hope not being that it is new and dillion isnt here to give me beer lol. I just want to put out there that dillion and anthony are the best guys I have come across in a long time. These guys got togeather knowing that my back is broken and drove likr 4-5 hours to help me out i just wanted to take the time to say thanks. Any help that you guys can think of just ask either dillion will relay or you guys can call me directly to avoid bothering dillion to much durring the day at work. My number is 303-406-8749 thanks for the help guys.

#28 ·
It just flat died. no stumble but dosent mean it couldnt be it though. Thanks nathan

#29 ·
Josh - shoot me a text after you get back up to Ft. Irwin tomorrow and check the truck out a lil more with what you've seen here. I will try tracking down a spare ICP sensor and IPR today and have them on hand in case you aren't able to get it figured out. Let me know approx. what time you'll be back in Irwin so I can figure out what time to leave here.

Nathan
760-427-6881

#31 ·
Nathan i will get my phone and get off here and send you a text asap so you will have my number, and will let you know when i leave here so it will be a close guess on when i return thanks again.

#33 ·
Alright got all og the parts installed today after three months of waiting on everything. I have replaced the injectors, my 6 pos chip, HPOP, IPR, do not have a EBP system anymore, New Fass Fuel SYS, I did notice when cranking the motor over only 50 or less PSI was being made. What controls the IPR as I am now thinking that the damn thing is not getting any signal, is there anyway to test? Still no smoke either out of the tail pipe. I have 65PSI of fuel when cranking I know all of this due to the new analog guages I just installed. Thanks for any help.

#35 ·
Alright got all og the parts installed today after three months of waiting on everything. I have replaced the injectors, my 6 pos chip, HPOP, IPR, do not have a EBP system anymore, New Fass Fuel SYS, I did notice when cranking the motor over only 50 or less PSI was being made. What controls the IPR as I am now thinking that the damn thing is not getting any signal, is there anyway to test? Still no smoke either out of the tail pipe. I have 65PSI of fuel when cranking I know all of this due to the new analog guages I just installed. Thanks for any help.

Is that engine oil pressure or HPOP presure? If that engine oil you're fine if it's your HPOP pressure your way low, IIRC you need 500psi to fire it up.

#34 ·
help rackley needs help lol, dang truck lol.

#37 ·
you can temp run 12volts to your ipr to see if the truck will start. but don't leave it on there for to long, if it starts with the 12volts you have a signal problem. Also the icp tells the pcm whats going on with the hp oil and the ipr controls it. if you unplug the icp the computer will default and will run, but you need the ipr to get oil pressure. hope that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.