Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How to fix the 6.0, can it be done? Not Smack!

9K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  stdcabFords 
#1 ·
After spending some time reading Danny's thread I'm questioning my opposition to the 6.0. I've never owned 1 so my fears are unjustified anyway. Besides, you can get an 05 for less than a 01 in the same condition.

I guess in a nutshell, what would you tell a 7.3 or cummings guy are the pros over their engine?

#4 ·
For the Basics:
egr delete
custom tunes
ccv mod
head studs

Extreme:
Custom Intake, GOGO Stage 1
Nitrous
Twin turbos and/or Procharger
ceramic coated uppipes
larger injectors
built transmision

#6 ·
Haha, not a race truck just something I can count on. The 6.0 has such a bad rap yet some pretty keen guys own them... there must be a reason. Do mods you both speak of really make them bullet proof?

#7 ·
Haha, not a race truck just so/mething I can count on. The 6.0 has such a bad rap yet some pretty keen guys own them... there must be a reason. Do mods you both speak of really make them bullet proof?
mine is running strong at 217k miles, runs dougs race tune atleast 2/3's of the time and i spin it 4500 rpms atleast once daily just for good measure haha

#8 ·
Gauges, EGR delete or upgrade depeding on your state, Coolant filter. And studs if and when the time comes

#9 ·
Valvoline synthetic oil ,egr delete and call it a day. These injectors don't like ####ty maintenance schedules either

#10 ·
All makes and models have there own problems....most people drive what they drive because of a preference of the emblem on the front of there trucks...any diesel, no matter what make, cost serious $$$$ to fix when they break.

#11 ·
They arent that bad. My friends concrete truck is a 05 f450 and it just gets motorcraft oil changes at or near the recommended interval. 220k and still starts in -27* weather w/o being plugged in. Oh hell, mine does that too with 250k.

#12 ·
Best way to bullet proof IMO is to have both heads and the block checked/decked with studs properly installed, guarantees zero HG issues. Egr delete/block off. Oil cooler rebuild /w coolant filter installed. Oil changed every 3-5k with addition of oil filter bypass for good measure if you want. I'd also recommend a higher pressure/volume fuel pump such as a FASS or Airdog to prevent fuel pressure related injector problems, clean fuel and filters is key as well. Injectors are hit or miss depending on the history of the truck. Custom tuning is a must IMO.

There are little things that are hard to stop like high pressure oil leaks and FICM failure. But you can have the updated dummy plugs installed and the updated HPOP fitting installed to prevent high pressure oil problems.

There isn't a whole lot left to go wrong if you do all the above.

#13 ·
The 6.0L's are good trucks once you do some basics. EGR Delete, Head Studs for sure. Along with that I cant stress the importance of taking the heads and block in to get decked to ensure they are flat. Outside of that you can have cracking at the valve seats but you can have oversize seats/different material seats put in..but that will become a game of do this for X amount of dollars or go buy a new head from ford or where ever else. I enjoy mine quite abit, however the list of mods I want to do are ENDLESS.

#15 ·
After my experience I'd never trust another one. It's got 200k, but the last 70k have been nothing but problems. Head gaskets now blown again, and that's with studs. A lifter went bad and ate the cam, injectors can't be fixed, they're just gonna keep going bad. My truck has been worked hard, but well maintained. It just hasn't held up.

#16 ·
I was very scared to purchase a 6.0 Never own a diesel other than farm equipment. Did my research on the motor and found one that had been well cared. Couldn't beleive how much they wanted for a 7.3 was out of my price range. 6.0 where very reasonable priced, and I will only have ford pickups and no more gas burners so I took the plunge and bought one. I have never looked back. I have some little things go wrong but nothing super expensive. Mine is bone stock still has the egr valve and all the bone stock stuff. 143000 miles. I love my truck and would not trade it for all the gold in china. Great truck drive it a 100 miles minimum and never been on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck very reliable. Start in the below zero weather. with out being pluged in. I try not to do that very often but sometimes I have no choice. Very happy with it and may buy another one when fuel starts getting up there this summer the car lots will be full of trucks

#17 ·
I will say this. My next truck will be a 6.0. I have my eye on a golden ticket, if I can ever get the old man to sell it to me LOL. To tell you the god's honest truth, I'd rather turn wrenches on a 6.0 than a 7.3. It may look like a cluster fuk under the hood but, after the first couple times, you quickly figure out just how much easier they are to work on, IMHO. Maintenece is key, keep that in mind whenever looking for a used one.

#21 ·
My sentiments are exactly what many had already said. I have a 6.0 excursion 2005, and I am eyeing up a 2006 F350 daycab longbox. I am a 6.0 for lifer!

#23 ·
142k and beat to hell..was a fleet truck before i owned it and i love it. First truck i have owned that doesn't leak oil and it always starts right up and heats up good in the winter.

#31 ·
Like I have said before... stud this, tune that, delete this, etc... it still takes ALOT of money to make these things bulletproof... I like to point out the lifters and rocker arms as major faults in these things.. I have seen several of each fail...

#40 ·
i have never heard of any 6.0 around here that had those issues?

#34 ·
ok, so are there any years to absolutely stay away from?? if i was looking at one id have to go older vs. newer.

#35 ·
From what I've been reading 03-05 poppet get stuck inside the inj's. So far as I can tell the best truck is one of theses with updated inj's.

I've also been reading-up on the intakes.
It seems to me that upon buying a 6.0 the first thing to do is get an int from Doug, do studs/gaskets, swap to 190cc injs, and get a better oil filtration system. About $5k to get to 500hp. In a 7.3 SD that $5k = about 600hp.

If the trans is as good in th 7.3... 500hp would only cost 4k... correct?????

Now I'm really confused.

#38 ·
From what I've been reading 03-05 poppet get stuck inside the inj's.
All years are bad about that. My cousin has an '07 that has had several injectors replaced due to sticking and it has 85k miles.

#36 ·
How are you getting to 600hp on a 7.3 on 5k. Hell youve got most of that eaten up in a transmission

A solid 500hp recipe for a 6.0

Cass 190's
EGR delete, ARP studs. Airdog II, Powermax turbo, Rebuild the oil cooler.

Trans when the time comes

#37 ·
How are you getting to 600hp on a 7.3 on 5k. Hell youve got most of that in a transmission.
It was more of a question.

Let me reset this.
I'm buying/building a truck.

My choices are (now that I'm over CR's) Build my CC OBS. It will need Inj's, HPOP, IC, Fuel, trans, and turbo to make 500. Then body/paint - about $13,000

SD, everything " " " " execpt 1/2 the fuel system, IC, body/paint and possibly trans. - about $4,000 w/o trans.

SD 6.0 will only need inj's, and turbo but will need the delete, oil and stud mods which are = to the inj turbo. $6,000

My point was "If the SD 7.3 trans is the same as the 6.0 the 7.3 is a better choice. Am I correct?

Also, if I lower my expectations to 400+ is the 6.0 clear choice?

#43 ·
Just keep it stock!!!!

#46 ·
says the guy running 285cc injectors LOL jk man, just messing with you.

FWIW, my 04 has been a rock solid truck. I've only ever popped the head gaskets and ARPs cured that. I've been very picky on maintenance and started with a bone stock truck. Its also been tuned for over 40k miles solid.

If you can find one with all the hard stuff done to it and well taken care of it you might be pretty good that way. Just throw injectors and a turbo in it and let er eat!

#47 ·
A coolant filter is a must! My HG's never blew but my oil cooler was clogged by 50k. I had the dealer do studs and gaskets while it was in for the oil cooler. Luckily for me the tech was a friend of a friend...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.