Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

New Firestone R4Tech Air-Over-Leaf Setup

12K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  tree trimmer 
#1 ·
See less See more
#6 ·
In the book it doesn't list height, but there's no way the truck in the picture on the off-road adventures site is stock height, looks like a 4-5 inch lift, even has twin front shocks.

Anyways, looking into this more, as my 4-link project has been put off.

[edit]: They have both lift and stock height kits.

#7 ·
Hrmm...chop the spring off at the rear of the axle so it rides on the front perch, air bag does the supporting, shock provides the lateral dampening...fab up mounts for a trac bar, and BAM! Peterbilt airleaf suspension. With the negative bow it's more like low air leaf (one of the best riding suspensions out ESP if you're putting real weight on it).

#9 ·
the unloaded ride is not based on the air bag. It rides on the new full leaf spring that comes with the system. The bag is for when its loaded.

See Above picture

#10 ·
Looks like it would be a softer spring pack for unladen driving, and then once a load is applied the bags come in to play. Good idea, id be curious to see how it works out! I've seen air ride setups for car trailers, and have put hours into trying to figure out how to make my own that would work. I had a spring ride trailer, and I figured that one out, my new one is torsion axles, and that's the challenge. STS makes air ride torsion axles, trailer has it's own air compressor, leveling valve etc., and you can dump the bags. I'd like to do something similar, but with a lift axle setup, where you could pick an axle up for light driving, or for tight maneuvering so as not to tear the tires up as bad.

#12 ·
Here is a couple vids on the system. The week link I can see is the sensor arm that sense ride height and automatically adjusts the air bags accordingly. The feature that allows the truck to kneel down is nice too.

#13 ·
Here is a couple vids on the system. The week link I can see is the sensor arm that sense ride height and automatically adjusts the air bags accordingly. The feature that allows the truck to kneel down is nice too.
Agree'd, however it appears to be very similar to they way a air ride suspension on a big rig works, and look at the millions of miles that get put on those air ride's.
That would be some handy!

#23 ·
You could build that system for about $500, easily.

I think the air bags are too short. They will have a pretty high spring rate. The taller the bag the softer it is.

#15 ·
Bringing back a old thread. After searching I cant seem to find one actual person that installed this system. I want bags/ladder bars and this kit might do both. I am sure it will not work as good as a full ladder but this should help axle wrap some. Anyone have any miles on this system?

#16 ·
Also bringing this back to life. We broke the front half of the helper springs on both sides of the 01 in my sig. Looking for reviews also.

#17 ·
I've been looking into doing this setup on my Ex. I haven't seen any real-life reviews either, but looking at their pics and explanation it seems like this would be a great riding set up. I actually called Firestone and 4WP and found out the tallest they make this kit for is a 6.5" lift. I want to do 8", which is actually what they installed on the truck in the Outdoor Adventures magazine. I was told by 4WP that the one they installed was a one-off kit they created specifically for that truck (I'm guessing it must be Greg Adler's truck or something), and as far as 4WP and Firestone knew, they had no plans to put the kit into production for anything taller than 6.5" of lift. If you google R4tech you can eventually find the product guide, but deciphering which kit you need is somewhat difficult. Depending on your model year there seem to be a couple of kits for each lift height that don't look much different from one another than the part#. If you are going to order, probably just best to go through 4WP and have them track down the right part# for you.

#18 ·
well i am 2wd and found my kit #, i would like to know if it works with my b&w gooseneck hitch which mounts on the outside of the frame rail; would that interfere with anything from the kit? Also just to know what others have to say about install, towing and comfort difference. i am going to get it and install myself, just would like to know before buy. i will let y'all know something after its done and a few miles on it.

#20 ·
Well I dropped the cash today for the R4Tech kit for my 2001 in sig. I will try to do a pic install and post it up on here and after some time pulling/driving give thoughts on ride. Should arrive within two weeks.

#26 ·
A guy over on rv.net just installed one. He hasn't said much about how it rides yet, other than its soft.

#21 ·
Ive been thinking of building my own kit like that. I never realized how bad the wifes X rode till I got an expedition with the air ride. Im wondering if the same could be done to the front as well? I would think one could take out all the leafs but the main one and supplement with air.

#24 ·
There is a lot less room for bags in the front because the wheels angle in on the kingpin, they turn etc.

#27 ·
#29 ·
:ford:I got an R4tech system middle of Nov. I started to install it a week later got my stock springs and every thing out put the air bags in and started with the springs and the front eye of the leaf had the wrong sleeves pressed in them. Supposed to have a 20mm bolt in it but the sleeve had an 18mm hole in it. Tried going through Firestone tech support about the situation at first they told me to get something myself to fix it. Kind of pissed me off trying to find bolts for it. They go from 16mm bolts to 20mm bolts. They don't make 17mm bolts so I called them back the guy at the tech support said someone else called with the same problem. 2 weeks went by didn't here from them. Finally kept calling them they put me through to one of the higher ups voice mail. Couple bad messages later they miraculously found the right springs for my truck.

The system is 110% better than the stock suspension. Rides better than the 2010 F150 i had. My truck I have now is a 2011 F250 with a rough country front winch bumper with a 16.5 warn winch with 6.7 diesel. Great power for pulling my trailers great ride for just driving around empty. The suspension dump works great flip the switch, back under the trailer put the switch back to ride position. No longer having to jack the trailers off no more.

Its a great system but before you start tearing your rig apart you might want to check the springs out to make sure the bolts fit. My truck was down for 6 weeks because of a mistake they made. They also think that if you install it yourself you're not able to distinguish between the front and rear of the leaf spring because they were saying that was another way that I screwed it up.

#31 ·
Matt, how many leafs are in the R4 leaf springs and how thick are they ?

#32 ·
Hey me2 I'll chime in as i have a R4tech installed on my truck. The top spring has 1-1/2 springs in the pack the 1/2 is from the front to the axle. The full spring is 3/8" an the half is 1/4'' and then you have the J spring witch goes on the bottom and its 3/8" thick. Hope that helps

#33 ·
So how does it ride? Improvement over stock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.