Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

john woods trans rebuild kit? anyone using

11K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  dennis11 
#1 ·
just wondering if anyone used his kit and how it work,how you like it and how complete it is. i talked to john and he said its about 2400 for the kit and it comes with everything you need to rebuild. sound like a great kit for a diy setup. if anyones running one some feed back would be great.
thanks

#2 ·
Sorry no feedback but you can't go wrong with anything from JW's so I say go for it.I am sure it is complete and will do what you need or he wouldn't sell it.I would say you can take whatever JW says to the bank so to speak.

#3 ·
YEA thats kinda what i though i talked to him once and he seems like a real stand up guy. i just wanted to here form someone that used one

#4 ·
I friend just ordered one from him but still waiting on some hard parts. Should be here soon.

#6 ·
do you mean hes waiting on some hard parts that dont come in the kit or just stuff he adding?

#7 ·
Post some pics of your kit and the instructions. I'm also considering this option and would like to know what, exactly, you get. I'd also like to know what you are getting in addition to the kit...

#10 ·
Given he makes a number of the parts himself I can see how he could be waiting at least a bit.

#14 ·
the price he gave was for his kit for the 4r100 rebiuld with the TQ and VB i think it was like 2400ish plus shipping

#15 ·
Did he tell you what the power level was for that kit?

#17 ·
If you are rebuilding it and have little to no experience doing so, I would imagine he rates the kit for "If you brake it, tough luck". I am not saying this in any way to reflect John. I am saying that there is a lot more to rebuilding a trans the right way other than just throwing new clutches, steels, and seals at it. You have to inspect everything carefully and replace any damaged parts. You also need to know how to bench test some of the components to verify that they are working correctly upon assembly. There are also many specialty tools to inserting seals without damaging them on assembly. Some components will not go together at room temp and need to be cooled and/or heated to reassemble. Just my .02 on it. I'm not saying you can't do it but if you run into problems call him before you force something and break it.

#19 ·
from what he told me he said its alot more then clutchs and seals he also sends the parts he specialy machines and a vb and tc. im not to worried about special tools seeing as i work at a ford dealer we got more special tools here then you can shake a stick at lol.

#20 ·
I hear ya on working at a stealership. We never rebuilt trans in house though as they were shipped in and swapped out. If you guys do trans rebuilds then you should have what you need.

#21 ·
I went down to Holtville about 3-4 years ago and JW preformed some of his "MAGIC" on my E4OD in my 97PS. I haul a 20ft gooseneck to Vegas loaded with firewood. I make 2 trips a week to Vegas from Panaca, NV and I told John on the phone I needede one of his trannys for "big" loads. JW advised me that I did not need his heaviest duty tranny because with the trailer weight of 5K and wood of 11K that his towmaster would take care of me and pull my 36ft fifth wheel for vacation trips. I had 200,00 on my original E4OD and had not started my trips to Vegas with the wood. I now have 380,000 and haul wood from Panaca to Beatty, Reno, Vegas and Pahrump. JW would not steer anyone wrong and I ve got all the confidence I need to continue hauling all over the State of Nevada with JW's tranny. Go for it, you will never look back......Dennis (Sorry i got so wordy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.