Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.4 coolant flush ?

60K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Mamba6.4 
#1 ·
okay guys it am getting to about 50k and need to do a coolant flush. what is the best coolant to water ratio bill from powerstrokehelp.com says for the 6.0 its 3gal. to 1 gal of distilled water. perfect mix. is that the best mix or just simple 50/50. plus where is the drain plug on the 6.4?

#6 ·
It is a kit that comes in tool kit or a tool truck, it is designed for keeping air from entering cooling system after it has been drain it is very important on a 6.4 liter with a 8 gallon coolant capacity it threads to degas bottle and has separte line that goes to coolant source 1 gallon container etc.... And then shop air is applied to kit and then valve on aux line is opened causing a vacuum preventing air to enter system while being filled most dealers have them or professional gas or diesel repair shops

#8 ·
Its called a Air lift as well... and most low and high pressure cooling systems such as maxxforce engines on some trucks need air lifts to fill both systems. And in a perfect world maybe no air... UV550000 - Airlift-Rad Air Purge & Refill - Cornwell Webcat

For one time use i wouldn't buy it...
Someone like me who uses it everyday for 5 gallon+ systems yes get it.

Go get Delo or Rotella ELC coolants then theres no worrying about it trying to get the mix right.....

Shell Rotella Extended Life Coolant / Antifreeze

#10 ·
Dude Rad kits are for someone dealing with cooling system problems everyday.... Extended life coolants are designed to go 300k with no SCA's being added they claim i check mine once a year or 6months.

ELC Extended life coolants

DELO ROTELLA Red in most cases
yellow sometimes
Blue if its for cummins engines

you buy what the cooling system holds... And no water needed. Premixed

If your draining the cooling system pull the plugs on the block when switching coolants. Do you know how to flush cooling systems?

#12 ·
well I was just thinking of pulling the plug out of the bottom. then when its all done I was going to take a hose and run water in it for about 10min to really clean it out. then add the new coolant in there. But I am very interested in doing this rotella ELC stuff. how many gallons do I need to buy?

#19 ·
No you pull the plugs on the block. Leaving water in the block then running premixed stuff will make it a 75/25 mix. Drain everything then plug block run water with drain on radiator off . And if your anal get simple green or fleetgaurd coolant flush fill with water and one gallon of each. Run truck for 20mins then let cool. Drain both engine and block again get everything out by running water threw everything. Reinstall plugs on block and radiator. Fill with premix delo or rotella 50/50 red coolant elc... run tell thermostat opens check level. This is sent from android

#21 ·
so let me get this right.

1. drain coolant from radiator and block
2. refill with water only? then run motor yes unless you want to fill with one gallon of simple green and water run 20mins either way.
3. drain water and or simple green mix from radiator and block after engine has cold some
4. leave plug open & run constant water in system while motor is running? Yes 10mins then shut off and let circulate tell engine block is cool. Both block and radiator plugs!!!! I dont want anything in block or radiator when switching coolantsThen fill with coolant. This was sent from android
;)

#23 ·
No engine block. Ones next to water heater top of starter area. And driverside same basic. Area just with nothing in the way. If I remember right boss oring plugs Allen heads sent from android. You want pics let me know. As of right now I'm going to bed have to be at work at international at 6am. Ill check back tomorrow

#25 ·
This is a 6.4 from international... Starter is on driverside as well as single turbo and egr cooler.. called a maxxforce 7. The plugs are in the same spot though ok

So you know im not bsin you

Plugs you pull

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.