belt/pulley squeal that i cannot find... DRIVING ME CRAZY!!! - Page 2 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
orrwhat
Diffrent Strokes
Member's Gallery

Re: belt/pulley squeal that i cannot find... DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Replace the belt. It probably has a lot of split areas that you wont see until you remove it.
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 11:34 PM
F-250-Owner
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

subscribing.... mine chirps at idle.... its very annoying..... sometimes it has a rattle along with the chirp
03 F-250 207000 miles, Mad Turbo Werks Stage 1 Turbo, RCD155 injectors 100% Nozzles, 150/180 FASS, FCDP EGR delete, ARP Headstuds, OEM head gaskets, Diesel Site coolant filter kit, SCT Tunes, Hellmans Sump, 4inch Magnaflow Exhaust, 6.4 banjo bolts, AR-9100 Oil Treatment, 58v FICM
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM
jrfonte
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

I'm subscribing too mine also has an annoying chirp squeel when running but I've replaced several pulleys on it already so I'm curios as to what yours ends up being. Has anyone's stock belt that came on the truck been so tight that it can't be put back on once taken off? I took my stock one off a while back cause I had the tentioner pulley bearing go bad and the stock belt would not go on was an inch or more to short? Just asking no big deal.
Also has the chirp at start and stop engine so what does the chirp at start and stop mean?
Just thinking maybe I can get some other stuff taken care of on it while its down waiting on a ficm
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Extended Power
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I installed a new belt, and two new idler pullies the first time I rebuilt my engine.
Then after awhile, something was squeaking again.

I put up with it for 2 years...it just squeaked all the time...but here's the thing...compared to the rpm's of the pulleys, (Alternator, P.S, A/C, idler pullies, etc.) it was too slow to be one of them...so I thought it may have been the belt tensioner itself, so I pulled it off, and worked on it in the vise. Squirting "Kroil" inside of it, and working it back and forth.
Put it back on, and the squeak continued on...

Bought another new belt for $55.00 bucks, put it on, no more squeak!!!

I had over 180,000km's on the first belt, and the second belt only had maybe 20,000km's. (And it was NEVER exposed to mud.)

I would try another belt if I were you.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 AM
orrwhat
Diffrent Strokes
Member's Gallery

I installed a Goodyear Gatorback belt on mine and its still quiet. Only took about 30-45 minutes to slap on with out having to remove anything.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 AM
60POWERSTROKE73
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

On a cold start or just sitting for a extended period of time my belt squeaks. Once it runs for a few minutes it goes away and when I shut it off it squeaks again.
I think I just need a new belt and it will stop.
MBRP 4" Turbo Back- Straight Pipe Glowshift Gauges- EGT, Boost, and Trans Temp SCT X3 with Custom Tunes from Innovative Diesel 21/2" Pro Comp Leveling Kit Moto Metal 951 rims on 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrpowr View Post
The 6.4 is unreliable. You want a 03-04 6.0. Best motor ford ever built.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
browtine
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

mine squeals all the time. not just a start up or shut down squeal. and definitely gets louder and more frequent as rpm is increased. The belt is not but a few months old and only has a few thousand miles on it at best. I guess I could do another belt on there but i'm doubting that'll help because when I put this belt on it the squeal quieted some but never did go away. I dunno...... I suppose i'll start throwing parts at it once the weather warms a little.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Stroker67
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I know this is going to sound really crazy but, mine would chirp when i shut it off or started it. Started turning my a/c or heat completely off before i turned the truck off, no more chirp when i shut it off or turn it on. Tried it again with the air on, and it chirped. I know it sounds crazy but if you turn your heat or air off before you shut the truck down, it helps. Something about the compressor isnt binding or working against itself.
06 F250 Lariat CC SB FX4 6.0, EGR Delete by FCDP , 58v FICM by Quick Tricks, Autometer Gauges (Boost, Pyrometer, Trans. Temp), SCT X3 W/ IDT, 4" TB Straight Pipe, S&B CAI, ZOODAD, Retro-Solutions HID Kit (4300k), CCV Mod, Coolant Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
no reason to get butt hurt like someone shoved a lamp up ur butticusrumpus or somthin
Old 02-03-2011, 02:23 PM
mandkole
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Squeaking on shutdown is an annoyance that is encountered with many diesel engines. At idle rpm and below the torsional inputs are very high and the tensioner arm has to have a lot of leverage on the belt to maintain necessary tension--when it doesn't, the belt briefly slips. Many heavy truck engines have specific logic written into the tuning and will make sure that the fan clutch is engaged to take extra load off the motor.

As I said earlier, the chirping issue is a different issue. This is a belt/pulley groove fit issue-- all belt mfgrs profile their belts differently so in the right environment, some can chirp and some dont simply based on the material and profile differences. A belt swap can stop the noise. However, the noise may come back--there are chronic chirp issues that occur due to misalignment of the pulleys. This causes a deformation of the belt 'v' over time and eventually the belt chirps. This is a drive issue caused by tolerance stack/pulley location, tensioner failure, etc that may or may not be easily corrected.

First thing, first-- isolate the belt/pulley fit issue by spraying water on the belt. If the noise goes away, you have a belt/alignment issue. If noise stays, you have a drive component issue (pulley, bearing, accy, etc).

1994 F250 4x4 SC (sold)
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM
browtine
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

will do

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 214
02POWERSTROKE7.3, 02redpwrstroke, 03-blue-Powerstroke, 03sixspeed, 04 f350, 04 oilburner, 05wh250, 06-6.0 stoker, 06Greenstroker, 06powerstroke, 1000klr, 16yrenthusiest, 2 stroked, 2006powerleaker, 250truckguy, 444-4D, 4THGENCAMAROFAN, 5under4, 6.0lover/hater, 60POWERSTROKE73, 7.3EX, 7.3SuperDuty, 91turbogsx, 96Powerstrokin, acasey7.3, airtech, AllGo'N'Show, Austinfqt, backwoodsboy, bad moose, Bartlett99, bdavidsontexas, Berl2169, BigDeal21, BINGS6.0, bismic1, blackbetty13, Bobq21, bobsaggett2007, browtine, BSAN, BUFF, buggut, bustedbinder7.3IH, bustednuckles, bwstone92, Cajun Bear, camochris, chappy, coal_burner07, Cobra Svt, Constantfix, Cookie_Monster, coysdieselspecialties, creeves113, Currey, Cwilson1, dan03sd, dantesdango, daves02, deiter5262, Derailed, dexleo2, Dieselhead Jake, dieselvrgn, dits145, djl95, dmstrucks02, dunatic, DZL JIM, elhombre, ellisfl09, Extended Power, F-250-Owner, f250towrig, F350R, farmboy93, fastbee, fastfish1967, Fasttimez, Fever, Fischer, Force2354, fordpowerf450, Fox'sFord, frb918, FTREE50, fvrpowerstroke, glassguy, harrisford, hawgdoctor, HD-tech-NH, hillbilly123, hillbillytj, hill_billiez, huck2080, huntersk2k5, ibestrokin97, id: 5520, indiana lineman, irontx25, jamcconnell2, JBASS30, JD F350, jdc753, jdolliver, Jeff Severe, JfmF250, jmayne90, jonnysteals, jrfonte, Jta2005, jtlease, justintimemoto, jzamluk, Kgaeta92, Killer48, km335, Krisco, lightning200mph, LILGSX, LORDDiESEL, loys95powy, Luvin_her_stroker04, MahdeyS, mandkole, markyt, matts05f250sd, maverik2711, MDpowerstroke, mikes95powerstroke, Monstar, monstered, moose7.3IH, Motownfire, motoxracer42, MrBill1, mrgeno, mswasey, nastys6.0, nomorespark, nrook, obsfirefighter, OBSpstroke97, onedaydiesel, opieg01, OriginalRedneck, orrwhat, OuchThatHurt, PAbowhunter, pbuxton11, pizza pig, pjerrn, powerstrokin02, pro350hydro, pscooter6, PSDcell, pstroke96, quadracer219, rdunagan, rfiscus2005, sailor95, salprofish, Samson, sappernick, scottmorin156, scottrace1, SD01WD, shadow6.0, shaggy, Shef, SickStroke6.0, Silverback, slayton93, smokin250, snowpig32, socoman1988, sonnyy13n, southmike, spindrift, Sprman, SS90, STAX, stroked2000, stroker62, Stroker67, Strokin2004, Strokin304, superbad, superdooty89, tallpaul, TAMU_PSD, thomur, tmackowiak143, tmars51, tonka350, trolling2, TVMC, Uask4it, vanderchevy18, villestrip, wakerc, Wangfu12, wesTXhb, wetnsloppy4x, WHPSExcursiom, WichitaF250, xbrandonleighx, xzist, yeehaw, yosemiddysam, Zmann