Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

f-350 dually rear compared to f-450 rear

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  CGMKCM 
#1 ·
ok couple things that am trying to clarify bout the diff between these 2 axles.

1. Both are dana 80 correct?

2. I know that the spring perches are different spacing, and the axle overall width is different but is everything from the axle flanges outward interchangeable?

#3 ·
they put the D80 in the f-450 up till about 04 (not exactly sure what year)
they are different like stated in perches and width, also the f-450 has 37 spline axles and the f-350 has 35 spline axles. breaks are also different between the 2 and the 450 has an 8x225 bolt pattern and uses 19.5" wheels

#4 ·
My buddy wants to put a dana 80 under the rear of his pullin truck and happened to find an 80 out of a 2000 f-450 for a steal. Went to look at it last night and figure we will need to convert it over to 8X170 for what he wants to do with it. Curious if the hubs and all off a regular width dana 80 will bolt up to this.

He wants to run dual 33/12.5 tires in the rear so we figure the narrower width axle would be better for this if we can convert it over to the 8X170 pattern.

#5 ·
not sure if everything would switch over or not but I would guess it would. these axles only came with 4.88 or 5.38 gears as well from the factory. mine came from the factory with a detroit tru-trac :D

#10 ·
I think there is a write up from (User named) Trailerhauler on how he put a F-550 rear end under his F-350. It was written up a year or so ago.
I don't think it was too difficult.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.